PDA

View Full Version : ATC visit

pilotho
22nd Apr 2007, 11:53
Hi,

Does anyone know the number that I should ring to get hold of an ATC manager at EGCC or EGNM?

I am seriously considering a career as an ATCO but I would like to "see it for myself", so to speak.

Thanks.

54north15west
22nd Apr 2007, 13:00
"I am seriously considering a career as an ATCO ":yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I only hope that they concider your application as seriously.........with respect ATCO positions dont just fall out of the heavens and land in your lap.They are quite hard to actually get....

WireFired
22nd Apr 2007, 14:41
54north15west, you should "seriously consider" a new career in the diplomatic service. I think you'd be ace.

NudgingSteel
22nd Apr 2007, 19:12
well said wirefired!
the guy should probably have just said he had just decided on the spur of the moment to become at ATCO:ugh:

LXGB
23rd Apr 2007, 09:20
Hi Pilotho,
Try not to be put off by the negative comments above. Have a look here (http://natscareers.co.uk/Careers.asp?c=1) if you have not already done so.

Also, see this (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/airtrafficcontroller.cfm).

I might be wrong, but it's unlikely you will be able to gain entry to an ATC unit such as CC or NM just for a look round because you're "considering a career as an ATCO".

Good Luck,
LXGB

pilotho
23rd Apr 2007, 10:37
Wish the job did "fall out of the heaven". I very well know it wouldn't "fall on my lap". I just wanted to visit an ATC service to see if I would be a suitable person for the position.

Guess I will just apply to NATS and wait for the reply!

NudgingSteel
23rd Apr 2007, 19:40
Maybe I should expand on my post above....

My point, and that (I believe) from WireFired, was that the initial reply to your post was somewhat abrupt, and seemed to be from somebody who had misunderstood your post. I read absolutely nothing wrong with your phrasing "seriously considering a career as an ATCO" but I guess 54N15W read it differently and thought you were maybe talking about a more recent or transient interest in the job.
He is absolutely right that you don't just amble into the job - it takes a long time and lots of application and study, but you probably know that anyway.

Anyway.....I can't help with numbers for the units you mention, but it's certainly worth writing to the ATC manager at your local airport(s) and explaining your interest. If they can't, at least you tried...if they can arrange a visit, it's well worth seeing at first hand a lifetime career choice before you decide if it's for you or not.
(most people really enjoy it, it's hugely satisfying and the boss can't make you take any work home with you at the end of the shift!!!!) Best of luck with it all.

opnot
23rd Apr 2007, 21:02
Pilotho
Try 0161 499 5315, unit training officer at manch. Explain what you would like to do and he may be able to help.
Some of us like to help potential recruits

RAC/OPS
23rd Apr 2007, 22:14
Pilotho,
Can't speak for Nats, but most other units would I'm sure welcome someone interested in a career in ATC. Check your pm's

54north15west
24th Apr 2007, 15:45
"54north15west, you should "seriously consider" a new career in the diplomatic service. I think you'd be ace."
Gee thanks!Would i get to carry a gun????:E :E :E :E :E

wingcmdr
25th Apr 2007, 09:01
The best way to wring an ATC manager is by the neck :}

Good luck and don't let the ba****ds grind you down :ok:

pilotho
25th Apr 2007, 11:28
Thank you for the number opnot, just managed to arrange a visit to etc at EGCC. Very helpful bloke on the phone!

LXGB
25th Apr 2007, 11:35
I stand corrected. Didn't realise you could get into Manchester Tower just by ringing up and asking. Obviously security isn't as tight as I thought. They must have liked your accent ;)

Good luck with your ATC career if you decide it is for you! :ok:

LXGB