PDA

View Full Version : go north

dabeuk
22nd Apr 2007, 09:09
G'day

im comming over from n.z earlie next month

got about 900 hours 500 strip.

ive been watching pprune threads since i decided to come over, seems to me the general thing to do is go north when first trying to gain employment into the industry.

can anyone tell me a little more about this,:confused:

what kind of work and how much is there to be had time requirements etc etc

cheers:}

ppruners

altiplano
22nd Apr 2007, 23:21
If you'll be here in a few weeks I'd start getting resumes and calls in now.

I'm assuming your licenses are in order (TC) and you have the right to work in Canada.

Going north to get work with a lack of a job offer can involve a couple of things. I'd probably focus on northern Alberta and NWT or northern Ontario. You could do a road trip visiting every operator along the way. Or you could go somewhere with lots of operators (ie Yellowknife) and hang around being persistent and maybe getting a job.

www.pilotcareercentre.com has a good (but not complete) list of operators for this region.

I'd probably just hammer on the phone talk to CP's and call them all back every couple of weeks. With 900 hours there is a job for you likely, although you are getting here a bit late for the spring hire and winter oil field work is winding down...

altiplano
22nd Apr 2007, 23:23
Oh yeah - it is likely that you will get offers to work the ramp from some operators. With 900 hours I would avoid this scenario. All too often they are simply looking for cheap labour and pilots with a carrot in front of them are easy prey. The industry is moving and there are flying jobs to be had...