PDA

View Full Version : instructing get you a charter job?

kloe
20th Apr 2007, 21:47
Hi guys,

How many instructors do you or did you know that after 1000 to 1500 hours of instructing ended up getting a charter job flying aircraft such as navajo/cheyenne, etc.
And how many of these instructors were 40 years of age or older as I am 40 and embarking on a instructor career possibly mixing in charter work as well.

your stories or examples would be great

eyeinthesky
21st Apr 2007, 13:33
I did a CPL on a distance learning package. I then did a FIC course and instructed part time. Then I did my Multi-engine instructor rating.

In the first year I added some 300 hours in between another full-time job. The ME instructor rating helped me to build multi-engine hours free. I did my IR in less than 10 hours in the days when you could.

I then flew traffic-reporting aircraft for 6 months, and this allowed me to reach 800 hours including 150 multi-engine.

Then I got part-time work flying for a small airline and an air taxi company. I have been doing this for 5 years and I am 41. I now have 1700 hrs+ including 700 multi-engine. But I am not making a career out of it.

I must say that two things helped me in this:

Right place, right time
Knowing people who know what's coming up.

Good luck!

lady in red
25th Apr 2007, 21:18
A friend of mine was over 40 when he learnt to fly, instructed for three years during which time he also did some charter work on a twin, then with something over 1500 hours got his first airline job at around 46 and now seems to be heading towards a command. I also know another ex instructor who had been instructing for about 8 years and recently went to a major airline for his first jet job aged 42. He also did some charter work before the airline job came up, so there are people who do it later in life.

rightbank
27th Jun 2007, 06:41
Kloe
Check your P.M.s

Life's a Beech
6th Jul 2007, 23:31
I did, although I had experience outside insruction. One of my colleagues is over 40, and has just started with us. He did the same, although he did other flying as well. A common theme is instruction plus some other interesting flying experience.

Blackshift
19th Jul 2007, 03:36
I would swop my black taxi for an air taxi anytime if only the pay was even half way decent.

The problem seems to be the assumption that the "golden" multi-hours logged are effectively part payment for those desperate for an airline job, for which purposes they may well be considered to be more attractive than another 500hrs as a PPL FI.

crap pilot
19th Jul 2007, 07:51
What experience is required for chater work? Ive read a lot of conflicting requirments, some say 700TT with 100 ME PIC others say 400TT with 40 ME PIC?

portsharbourflyer
19th Jul 2007, 10:09
The minimum requirement for single pilot public transport work is 700 hours total with 40 p1 multi IFR. Alotof operators will ask for a 1000TT with a 100 multi.
Centreline Air Charter at Bristol have a concession from the CAA such that they can operate single pilot with 400 hrs total and 40 p1 multi, there may be one or two other operators with a similar concession but that is the only one to my knowledge.