PDA

View Full Version : European Touring and Travel Insurance

Hampshire Hog
20th Apr 2007, 10:21
Seeing the thread on life insurance reminded me of another question.

Most travel insurance policies exclude cover for engagement in non-scheduled aviation activities (i.e. private flying). Can anyone recommend providers who will cover pilots flying light aircraft?

Otherwise, I wonder who would pay for treatment in the event of an unscheduled arrival in a foreign field that results in injury rather than fatality.

HH

dublinpilot
20th Apr 2007, 10:36
Otherwise, I wonder who would pay for treatment in the event of an unscheduled arrival in a foreign field that results in injury rather than fatality.

Probably your regular health insurer?

Usually health insurers have a repatrication clause, so they will pay to bring you home.

Make sure you carry a European Health Insurance Card....it's free for European Residents, and ensures you have access to the public health care system within Europe.

dp

Hampshire Hog
20th Apr 2007, 10:46
I've got the EU health card.

However, in the UK we don't have a 'regular health insurer'. We rely on our National Health Service which, in my experience, can only just manage to treat seriously ill people in the territory. I doubt they do repatriation!

Thanks

HH

Heliplane
20th Apr 2007, 11:22
It's a good point - my travel insurer specifies: "We do not cover Bodily Injury or any other loss or damage to You or a Family Member while engaged in flying or other aerial activity, except as a passenger". I've confirmed that I would be covered if was in a friend's plane and he/she was acting as PIC.

I wonder if the aircraft insurance could cover the pilot?

Justiciar
20th Apr 2007, 11:35
I have a very good world wide travel policy which covers me and the family for winter sports, light aircraft flying and diving to 30m. It is issued by Traffords and comes out less than alot of other policies which exclude those things.

Hampshire Hog
20th Apr 2007, 11:49
Thanks. I'll have a look at that one. I hope not to mix flying and diving in the same trip!

HH

michaelthewannabe
20th Apr 2007, 16:58
I just got a policy with "insure and go" - their basic prices are good, and they'll cover you for flying too on payment of a supplement. Adding cover for seven days of flying to a multi-trip European policy cost about a tenner, and if I go flying abroad again, I can call them and add a further endorsement as required.