PDA

View Full Version : A319 Packs off for TKOF ?

OSCAR YANKEE
18th Apr 2007, 21:01
Just doing a conversion course for the A319 for a UK operator that per SOP selects Packs off for TKOF. Is this standard for Airbus ??
Does anybody know why ??
Coming from the 737 (Scandinavian operator) Packs were selected off when needed performance wise.....

Rgds. OY

tom775257
18th Apr 2007, 21:20
I reckon: Packs off take-off = more fuel efficient and I would guess less engine wear due to decreased EGTS. (obviously not running APU).

At the airline I work for it is pretty much always packs on - if we require engine bleed off for performance we run the APU with APU bleed on for take-off.

nosewheelfirst
20th Apr 2007, 08:37
Think we fly for the same opperator OY and I was wondering whether switching them on with the engines going amost full pelt does the packs any harm?

NWF

Gary Lager
20th Apr 2007, 08:51
What variation in psi do you think there is in the bleed duct between engines idle and engines at CLB thrust? I'll have look today but I can't imagine it would be enough to worry about. Besides, engines are more expensive than Packs.

nosewheelfirst
20th Apr 2007, 09:20
Not a great deal of difference im sure was just a though.

barit1
20th Apr 2007, 11:44
Engine bleed air doesn't route directly to the packs; There's a pressure regulating valve in between so the pressure variation driving the packs is minimal.

Otherwise - think of the bleed pressure variation between SL takeoff compared to idle at top of descent. :eek:

Mäx Reverse
20th Apr 2007, 17:54
Packs on Engines is standard unless T/O performance requires the Engine Bleeds to be selected off.

If the T Flex goes below 45°C we are recommended to switch Engine Bleeds Off to reduce Engine wear.

In these cases 'Packs on APU' or 'Packs Off' is crew discretion. If the flight is booked well and/or it's hot outside APU might be the better choice.

After De-Icing we normally use 'Packs Off' in order to avoid the run-up which was necessary to clear residiual fluid off the engines. If there is a longer delay between end of de-icing and take-off 'Packs on APU' is a lot more convieniet to the pax.

Regards, MAX reverse

Been Accounting
20th Apr 2007, 18:02
If the T Flex goes below 45°C ????

F4F
20th Apr 2007, 22:07
OSCAR YANKEE
Also probably flying for the same company, the procedure as far as I know is to save wear and tear to the engine, as mentionned by tom775257.
We used to have the same procedure on the A310... whereby some other aircraft have some auto shutdown systems.

Dani
21st Apr 2007, 04:25
More and more operators are changing to pack off tack-offs. It goes in line with idle reverse, one engine taxi and other fuel and cost cut measures.

Dani

barit1
21st Apr 2007, 15:45
More and more operators are changing to pack off tack-offs.

Not a new procedure. When I surveyed many airlines over 25 years ago there was a fuel price crunch, and Packs Off reduced EGT and helped preserve engine efficiency in the long run. It was a good idea then, and still is today.

TheGorrilla
22nd Apr 2007, 06:54
The hardest part of taking off with them off is remembering to switch them on again. I struggle with off/on stuff so I'm lucky enough to work for an outfit that leaves them on unless performance requires otherwise. Has anyone done a PAX off take-off? That solves a few performance issues too. :(

Wingswinger
22nd Apr 2007, 08:02
The hardest part of taking off with them off is remembering to switch them on again.

Mr ECAM doesn't forget. He'll remind you at an appropriate moment!
In any event, once you have some time in the aircraft, you will become sensitive to environmental factors which will prompt you to switch them on before them ECAM gives you a caution - it's suddenly getting warmer in the flight deck, for example or the sound is subtly different because there is no pressurisation/air conditioning.

I've done a few PAX-off take-offs as well - it goes up like a dingbat!

OSCAR/YANKEE

The reason is that it enables a higher TFlex to be used so it reduces engine costs significantly over the long term.

KC-10 Driver
22nd Apr 2007, 08:25
Think we fly for the same opperator OY and I was wondering whether switching them on with the engines going amost full pelt does the packs any harm?

When we do packs off, which is only when performance requires, we switch the first pack back on after thrust reduction. We switch the other pack back on after flap retraction.

Why after flap retraction, I don't know? Perhaps that's just a convenient memory jog to do it, and it is long enough after the first pack on so to avoid a possible pressure surge which the system would experience if both were turned on at the same time.

Charly
22nd Apr 2007, 09:46
KC Driver, you're correct, that's the reason.
If you have a high acceleration altitude (retracting flaps a lot later than usual) it's absolutely fine to switch the second pack on 30 sec after you have switched the first pack, although the flaps are still out.

TheGorrilla
28th Apr 2007, 10:44
Ah! That could explain why I started to sweat.

fatboy slim
28th Apr 2007, 10:59
We always use packs off take-off, turning them off as we enter the RWY then reselecting (10 sec gap between) when CLB THR is set. There is no problem remembering to do it as it is normal ops and no damage or fluctuations have happened to my knowledge with the packs. Increases FLEX by significant margin thus extending engine life as the 'damage' in terms of wear is exponentional with temp at the higher temps.

SIDSTAR
4th May 2007, 02:40
The real reason in most cases is to get the maximum FLEX temp for the takeoff. Typically you'll get between 3 and 6 degrees higher flex with PACKS OFF. This equates to lower engine EGT thus lower wear and if the engines are leased (which many are nowadays) lower monthly lease costs.

Now if you take off with PAX off, the 320 thinks it's a Boeing!!