PDA

View Full Version : Omaa Pay?

Brocky
18th Apr 2007, 16:13
Can someone give me the exact pay details and allowances that is the package currently offered for the Area Controllers at OMAA? Is there two contracts? - SERCO and Government. Thanks for any help offered.:cool:

Funk
19th Apr 2007, 09:40
exact pay I can't tell you, but it is much less than UAE Area expect about 17,000pm (plus housing + schooling) with the bloody awful exchange rate I wouldn't even consider it unless you're desperate for a change.

Radar Pete
19th Apr 2007, 11:38
The area center is based in Abu Dhabi but not at the airport. Serco = approx AED34k and Government AED33k per month tax free. Serco have the better benefits within the contract but these are the figures you could expect to live off.

Brocky
19th Apr 2007, 11:51
Hi there,
Thanks for that. So SERCO are paying 34,000 per month and the benefits are?: Paid schooling for up to 2 children, free accommodation, 1 free flight back home per year? Is that correct or am I dreaming? :}

Funk
19th Apr 2007, 18:58
:zzz: you are dreaming, 34K is the serco package (includes housing & schooling etc) for me equates to 24K pm. As well we get better leave than the GCAA guys.
Sorry I didn't read the first post correctly I thought you were asking about APP.

AirNoServicesAustralia
20th Apr 2007, 04:07
Yeh as the guys have said, total package is 34,000 AED a month. If with wife and kids, company accomodation of a 3 bedroom flat will deduct about 6,000 AED a month, leaving 28,000, then deduct a couple of thousand for medical insurance, travel allowance and utility (Water/Electricity) payments, and you are left with about 26,000. Then if one kid is in school, depending on age, deduct between 2 and 3,000 a month, 2 kids obviously double that. So bottom line is no kids at school, pay in your hand of 26,000 AED (a little under 9,000 Aussie dollars a month), one kid, about 24,000 AED (about 8,000 AUD), and 2 kids about 21,000 AED (about 7,000 AUD). These days with the all in package family situation is the biggest deciding factor as to whether you come here. My advice is if you have 2 kids in school look at Bahrain, as they still pay your kids education for you. Cheers and good luck.

Track Coastal
20th Apr 2007, 04:55
24,000 Utd. Arab Emir. Dirham = 7,834.48 Australian Dollar

In Australia to get paid that after tax you need $136,000 gross, then you pay for your accom, school fees in after tax dollars further reducing that $7835 to $[inset ammount here, based on your accom and kiddie situation] a month to spend on food and beer.

Brocky
20th Apr 2007, 15:28
Thanks for that. That makes it at least AUD$3000 better than Oman per month which is AUD$36,000 a year. That's a lot of money!!! And even with 2 kids that's AUD$12,000. And less years required in the dust bowl.

OMAN is dragging the chain.!!! I guess that's why all those SA's decided Abu Dhabi was a better offer which it seems to be.

Am I missing anything? :}

Fox3snapshot
20th Apr 2007, 18:42
Having done both (and still operating in UAE).....Oman takes the cake!

It is a magnificant Country, great people and the money is better as the accomodation is half the price of here in Abu Dhabi, even after the recent Oman rent rise!

If I was married I would never have left the place, bit sleepy in the social scene. As it turns out I am still not married but having a lot more fun trying!! :}

Horses for course though, the only way to really find out is visit and make your own mind up.

Good Luck ;)

danceswithsheep
20th Apr 2007, 20:08
FOX,
I think you have the nail well planted by the hammer.......if you are in the sand, then it's not all about the money! You have to be prepared for change in every part of your life but the rewards, if you're the type to enjoy them, are worth it. Some prefer Dubai, or AD or Oman, me, toughing it out in Bahrain but wherever, just make the most of it.
Basically it's swings and roundabouts with pay, but find the PLACE that suits you the best and come play for a while.
Peace Out

Track Coastal
21st Apr 2007, 03:48
check yer PMs

Fox3snapshot
21st Apr 2007, 10:08
Any truth in the rumour's that after the local government decree regarding salary increase that the DCA salaries have been adjusted quite favourably??

;)

Brocky
21st Apr 2007, 16:49
From what I understand, The pay increase only went to those on the payroll at the time. The other little sting was that the cunning omani chaps then changed the contract structure from a basic salary of 3000OMR to 1960OMR plus allowances. What this did was reduce any payrise by nearly 40%. This was not the offer when they recruited and it has quite a few people off-side. The cost of schooling is rising for those who have kids and rents cost the average family 600OMR per month.

Let's face it, how many people would come to the desert if they were pocketing the same amount of money in their home country - not many is my guess. I am considering jumping into the sandpit for two reasons - money and the experience. I am sure it would be a fascinating place to live and experience and to travel to other parts of the world. But hey, the same money in your pocket at the end of the day back home. I wouldn't leave but then again, that ain't happen'n either.

Thanks for the posts though - very helpful.:p

V8supercar
21st Apr 2007, 18:27
I wrote a great spiel and then the connection dropped out and I lost it all.
Hi Fox3snapshot. Long time between hearing your voice again!
Brocky - The payrise only went to those on the payroll at the time which does nothing for the 12 new arrivals this year. The 8 or so SA's who were coming diverted to Abu Dhabi I believe.
The payrise doesn't cover the rate hikes and for those new arrivals, it's a loss compared to the offer made 6 to 12 months ago. Rents are close to double quoted by the recruiting team and as I said, school fees for those with kids are on the up and up.
I accept that rent rises can be unpredictable but not passing on the payrise makes me srcatch my head. Pay is dictated by race here, not experience or the fact that we all do the same job:= (we should all be on the same pay) Couple that with the fact that they changed the contract from a basic salary of 3000OMR to something like 1690OMR plus allowances, reduced the payrise by about 40% as it was based on basic salary only. I was reluctant to sign when I first read the ACTUAL contract but what do you do after you have spent money to get here and packed up your family and travelled half way around the world? :=
On the other side of the coin, I live in a local suburb with the locals and they are very friendly and generous. I have had tea, coffee and dinner with them and they can't do enough for you. If anything too friendly. In a world of so much hurt - I don't mind:ok:
It is a wonderfully different place and will do for now but the rises in costs and the exchange rate is killing us in the short term, the package is ok but nothing to sing about. I am lucky in that I am not sending money back home; If you you were, then think twice. The lack of payrise has left a sour taste in the mouth of quite a few and it won't take much for people to move on at short notice if things don't change.
I'm honest. I'm here for the money and it's a bonus to experience the life here and the chance to travel further abroad. The people I work with are great but no different to anywhere else in the world and it's fun learning the language and making them laugh when I stuff it up:} But money talks and so do feet.:cool:

Fox3snapshot
22nd Apr 2007, 17:17
How's trix mate?

Well when it comes to exchange rates, I have always enjoyed entering the conversation with my disgust at where the USD has gone since I arrived over here (almost halved in value in fact :eek: ), but the truth is I have never sent anything home anyway!!!! :E

My shares with Heinekin and Bernie Ecclestones Grand Prix fund haven't been doing too well, in fact apart from a broken down liver and hearing loss I haven't got to much to show for 10 years in the Gulf!!! :}

No Further Requirements
22nd Apr 2007, 23:42
Just wondering, do many people leave the wife and kids at home and head off to the sandpit? Does it make a difference to what $$$ you have in the hand at the end of the day? And how long are the contracts generally?

Questions, questions, questions. Thanks for all the answers you guys have been giving.

Cheers,

NFR.

No Further Requirements
23rd Apr 2007, 04:05
Fox: Perhaps I should have exlpained better. Is there an issue, financially, if the wife and kids come over after you to align with school year or when their work may start? My wife's a teacher and she might land a gig 2, 3, 4 months after I get there. I understand that some of the more generous contracts have housing and education as part of the package, so is it an issue for the fam to follow a bit later on?

Before we were married, we lived apart internationally for two years and survived that, so as much as I would prefer it not to happen, it is achievable for us to be apart.

Cheers,

NFR.

AirNoServicesAustralia
23rd Apr 2007, 06:00
There isn't an issue with doing that NFR, but a word of warning on the schools in the Gulf. If they know that your wife is married to a person who is already working here they will be cheap bastards and not hire her as an overseas hire (which gives her the return air tickets, accomodation allowance, and a higher salary) and will try and hire her as a local hire. The upside of local hire though is that she could walk into almost any school in the UAE and be hired tomorrow because she is a cheap local hire teacher which saves the schools mega bucks. Advice is if she is going to be a local hire, play hardball on the salary cos they are winning big by getting her, versus having to pay to sponsor someone in from overseas themselves.

No Further Requirements
23rd Apr 2007, 06:42
ANSA: Thanks for the info. That's what I was after.

Cheers,

NFR.

Fox3snapshot
23rd Apr 2007, 07:17
Sorry mate got rid of my ranting post, was having flashbacks from my childhood days :sad:

The whole idea of being left behind again got me all emotional...:{

:p

V8supercar
26th Apr 2007, 17:16
Oh Fox3:\ :eek: :O :ok: :E :D :}

ATCO1962
26th Apr 2007, 18:24
I'm sure the mug-thing has something to do with Fox3's fragile emotional state. I'm holding it ransom, Fox my boy, and it can be returned to you at a decent price and if you come back to Muscat!!:ok:

Fox3snapshot
26th Apr 2007, 18:33
You really know how to hurt a guy...everyone knows my mug is now in a better place, possibly loved up with a broken down cappuccino machine.

Oh how I miss mugsy....:{

V8supercar
2nd May 2007, 05:54
:D Give him his mug back you mug.:O

Will he come back - he's having too much fun!

Besides the families who have arrived here of late are somewhat homeless due to the lack of quality accommodation at a rate that actually made it worthwhile to come here in the first place. I believe the DGCAM now knows how much it costs for reasonable accommodation and that figure came in at around 4 times what was quoted to us at recruiting time:{

Oh well, slight miscalculation there;)

PMS
4th May 2007, 04:54
sorry to hear some of you new recruits to Muscat have been sold a bums steer!

I am not surprised, considering most others who have been there at some time over the last 10 years or so (incl yours truly) have been sold little puppy dogs by the likes of those described above. Once you are there you are sort of stuck and the plan to put away all that money suddenly comes crashing down in reality and after 2 or 3 years you wonder if it was actually worth it??:confused: :confused:

i know most of you would have worked for either AsA or Airways (in NZ) so surely you would have realised that western ANSP's always spin the bullsh*t, and that these bastards in the middle east are no different, only problem is you are a long way from home, and maybe home was better than where you jumped.

Next time people before you jump, dont beleive the "salesman" due you due diligence and if in doubt.....DONNNN'T .

Cheers:ugh: :ugh:

AirNoServicesAustralia
4th May 2007, 07:48
This is all coming from a man who is the reason the Employers in the Middle East check our flats for the existence of floor coverings before allowing us to leave.

The reality is in the UAE Centre at least, forget all the emotional rubbish from managers trying to woo you to come here, or ex-employees with axes to grind and big chips on their shoulders trying to stop you from coming. Just do your own figures and work out for yourself if it is right for you.

Sorry to the guys who feel they have been shafted in Oman but come on guys, do your research before you come. Search on google for Muscat Real estate and you will see what the going rates for accomodation are, call the schools to get the tuition fees and then sit down and work out your in pocket savings. There is no excuse these days to claim ignorance after the fact with all the resources available on the internet these days.

Bottom line PMS is with guys with no kids at school pocketing about 25,000 dh's after accomodation, air fares, medical insurance and utilities are taken out, they are a lot better off than they would ever be back in Oz or NZ. Cheers

PMS
4th May 2007, 09:31
ANSA (or should I say di*k head)

enough of your ridiculous rantings.

firstly, make sure you have your target identified correctly before you fire your arrow...oh yeah forgot this is a rather bad habit of yours and one which I remember you developed well in Oz!! Again, china wrong man wrong situation.
Mate why dont you get a bloody life...forgot you dont have one do you as work for Serco???

secondly, you have basically reiterated what I already said, thanks for that. As I said do your bloody homework before going there, believe no one, only the facts you uncover.

cheers big ears

Fox3snapshot
4th May 2007, 09:44
PMS....I am sensing anger and an unhappy aura....:sad:

Nothing a good ride on the 'magic carpet' wouldn't sort out...:E

AirNoServicesAustralia
4th May 2007, 15:35
PMS we all know who you are, so don't bother with the charade, but thanks for illustrating my point about guys with chips on their shoulders who have an axe to grind, thank you.

By the way did you stay up all night thinking up such a witty retort as or should I say di*k head

WOW!!! How can I battle such wits.

I guess all those sick days you took, leaving your workmates in the lurch covering you off standbys allowed you to become such a well read and articulate individual.:ok:

clr4takeoff
4th May 2007, 21:59
Hey there !
Why don't you talk to each other guys!
A forum is not a place to throw insults !
Everybody as the right to say what he think about a situation or a place to work.
Even if you don't agree, you can still respect other point of view!
Cheers and have a cold one!

futr-kofeshop-dweler
5th May 2007, 08:05
PMS, Chillax!

ANSA made a very good point. (yes I said it) Everyone should do their homework before coming out to the ME...

Saying, "Well they told me accomodation would be cheaper then it really is" is no excuse with the resources available these days. A quick look on hamptons.com followed by a phone call to see if these places really exsit for the price shown works well... And I am speaking from experience, when I came to DXB, I had no idea how much rents were and how hard a good place is to find... I should have done my research, can't blame anyone but myself about that.

Also, anyone who has gone from NZ to Oman will have more money in their hand at the end of the day. We all saw what NZ is paying when they did their interviews out here. Will these new guys in Oman bank huge coin in 2-3 years? No, I think those days are done out here. But they WILL make more then back home. Wether the move out here is worth it??? That's for them to decide.

ANSA, pay no mind, save your shots for us in DXB when we ask for parrallel headings thru maxmo into your inbounds :)

P.S. If I work for Serco I have no life??? That wasn't in my contract...

PMS
5th May 2007, 09:23
clr4tkof and all

I agree that the forum is no place for insults and ANSA should take note of this. Yes, I have been insulted by ANSA's posts as there was no need or provocation for it.

And i believe that if everyone has read the posts correctly, at no time when I made my 0454 post yesterday (when making the point that those that go to the ME should do their homework)...did I ever make any derrogatory comments to ANSA. However, ANSA has taken umbridge to what I said about doing ones due diligence, because he obviously didn't and is now stuck in the sandpit, so decided he better shoot the messenger to make himself feel better.:=

Also, I was talking to the guys with kids of school age not the single or married (with no kids) guys who dont have to incur this cost, so I suggest ANSA that you read the posts carefully before replying and taking out your frustration on others who are only trying to help people with their decision making process. by the way ANSA there are no chips on shoulders here mate, better check yours though bucko!:ugh:

Futr-kofeshop-dweler, thanks for the mentioning "a very good point made" but I believe, if you read the posts carefully, I was the one that made the good points about doing due diligence before making the move; ANSA just reiterated this and then threw mud and made slanderous comments like he usually does, because that is all he is good at. (hope he sequences better than he posts).:mad:

PMS out

choclit runway
5th May 2007, 09:32
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... You da man!!!

See ya Wednesday!

CR:ok:

African Queen
5th May 2007, 09:46
A little bird just told me that Abu Dhabi government workers just received a huge pay increase, in some cases more than 100%, to help cope with the cost of living increases. Not sure if it was all government workers or only those working for ADAC.
I guess this means SERCo will be following suit shortly !!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :ok: :ok: :D :D :D :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

AirNoServicesAustralia
5th May 2007, 10:41
PMS, I did a lot of research before I came out thanks very much, and I love the job and enjoy the lifestyle. I am putting away heaps more money than I could ever hope to in Oz, but unlike some who have burnt all their bridges around the world, I can choose when I want to leave and where I want to go. It is great to still have all those choices open to me. Currently with the great money on offer here, I choose to stay.

My issue is with all the negative generalisations you make about working in the Middle East, and the obviously skewed view you have due to a personal axe to grind, such as,

Once you are there you are sort of stuck and the plan to put away all that money suddenly comes crashing down in reality and after 2 or 3 years you wonder if it was actually worth it??

A lot of the guys here now are saving heaps, and paying off their mortgages etc. back in Oz much faster than they could ever do if still with ASA. That includes guys with kids in school. You do know the salary we are on now don't you? If so do the figures and you will soon see that the money in hand at the end of the month is way above what you would have in your habd with ASA or Airways in NZ.

Finally I have to be honest I didn't even notice you told people to do their research before coming out. I assume you are referring to this well written sentence,

dont beleive the "salesman" due you due diligence

Hmmm :confused:

Red Dragon
5th May 2007, 11:57
Heard the rumour too. It seems to be locals only (DCA employees) with new payscales ranging from 35,000 - 90,000Dhs a month. This is the airport, not the centre.
Anyone from OMAA care to comment or quantify?

PMS
5th May 2007, 12:47
ANSA

this is the last time I intend to respond to your drivel. First up I am happy for you that you enjoy the job and the lifestyle there. So did I for most of it!

also, happy to hear some of the lads there are saving money and paying off their mortgages. Beware of the rising dollar though!:confused:

There is nothing negative by describing the reality for a majority of expats in the ME. this majority do not save that much, yes some do but most do not, due to the horrendous increase in living costs over recent years. nothing negative there mate, just a healthy dose of reality which new bods there need. And for the last time I have no axe to grind, as can be seen in relevant post.

lastly, you are obviously very misinformed ... my bridges are not all burnt "around the world" as you put it and I am back in the seat in a land not too far away from you.

and yes it was well written, very much to the point one would think.

over and out:=

Fox3snapshot
5th May 2007, 13:13
PMS...

SO you got a jersey with Safeskies huh?! :rolleyes: How will you go on your R & R if you have to transit via UAE and the rug police turn up? :E

Red Dragon...

The GCAA staff have just recieved 2 months salary this year for the bonus and the salary review has been ordered by the board to improve the salaries to the market rate. This is the formality that Abu Dhabi DCA went through to arrive at their new pay structure so will be interesting to see what GCAA come up with. This information was also published in the local Arabic newspapers so not of a sensative nature.

:ok:

AirNoServicesAustralia
5th May 2007, 13:53
You think bridges aren't burnt when you have to resort to working in Afghanistan to earn a crust.

As Fox said you better hope you don't get sent to Qatar or the UAE on R & R, otherwise you may have an interesting conversation with the immigration officials, and since all of the GCC countries share absconder info now you may have to watch yourself in a lot of places.

Final point is that you are wrong again with your generalisation that,
describing the reality for a majority of expats in the ME. this majority do not save that much, yes some do but most do not, due to the horrendous increase in living costs over recent years

Rent for people in Serco accomodation has gone up 7% in the past year, and on average 10% the year before. In that 2 years, the Centre controllers take home salary has risen by on average 50%, with some guys take home salary almost doubling. Since this thread was asking about UAE Centre guys I think your generalisation is at best irrelevant and at worst complete bollocks.

Quokka
5th May 2007, 14:16
Pay vs. Cost of living... is Abu Dhabi better or worse than Muscat? By much?

AirNoServicesAustralia
5th May 2007, 14:34
Pay is a couple of thousand dirhams a month higher in UAE than Muscat, but you will pay more in the UAE for equivalent accomodation to Muscat. If you are happy to live in an apartment and get employed by Serco, then the company accomodation is good value and rent capped by the government to be no more than 7% a year. Generally most other things are about the same cost wise I think, although Fox and DD can answer that better than me as they have worked in both places.

The upside I see of being with Serco in the UAE versus direct hire in Oman is that we have a pay review every year where we get at least a small increase, whereas in Oman the guys seem to be promised a payrise for years on end before finally getting it.

Just my opinion though. Cheers

Fox3snapshot
5th May 2007, 15:34
To give you an example, the appartment I am in here in Abu Dhabi which I consider (having spent 10 years in the Gulf) to be of the living standard appropriate for this part of the world is identical in age and size to my appartment in Muscat.

The location in Abu Dhabi whilst a nice area is not 'premium' compared to my flat in Qurm (Muscat). This info is important when factoring everything in.

I pay 117,000 DHS annually, or approximately 10,000 per month with the latest rent raise etc for my Abu Dhabi appartment. This equates to approximately 12 - 13,000 Omani Rials with the exchange rate (DHS is slightly stronger than the Rial in conversion).

My appartment in Oman was (3 years ago) 300 Rials per month or 4,000 OMR per year approx.

Now even if the rents have doubled (which would be the worst case scenerio based on my research) in Oman , the difference is still massive and Abu Dhabi is sporting rents worse than Dubai now due to Accomodation shortages.

Now as for Schooling etc. I don't have any legitimate children that I have to support so can't help you there :p

Most of the other day to day prices are comparable (water, elec. etc).

The salary here at the center for the government employee contracts as a line controller is 33,000 Per month which includes everything, no additional allowances etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

DTLP
6th May 2007, 09:49
Just to have my say on the Oman situation. In the time since I signed my contract and now, the value of the package has devalued by some 40%. Predominantly, 30% in fact, is due to the pathetic US dollar. The other 10% is attributable to the increased cost of general living and the rental market, which shows no signs of slowing anytime soon.

This has a significant impact when one needs to send money back to repay mortgages and so forth. I have also noticed just how weak the Rial has become when traveling overseas. I was looking forward to traveling abroad on a strong currency for a change, damn! Hopefully exchange rates will return to those of when I originally signed and made my decision to come to Oman.

All of this means that I am only marginally better off compared to if I stayed at home, a far cry from what I signed up for. The experience is brilliant, but not good enough to keep me here long term the way things are at present. The exchange rate would not matter if DGCAM followed suit with other large companies in Oman and covered employees against the diminishing currency. They ensure their staff earn at least the same as when they sign on, providing complete financial security.

On that note, a junior manager at PDO earns almost twice that of what we do. I think we are being underpaid for the work we are doing. Also, the fact that there is no annual increase in salary without entering negotiations for it, and traffic is increasing in double figures year in year out, one has to ask the question, why are we accepting this?

If one has children, I would suggest considering Bahrain, as they still cover schooling and housing etc in the package. Oman schooling is simply too expensive. But then Bahrain from all accounts is not the ideal family location, although I can only comment based on colleagues who have worked there of recent times.

My advice is to think carefully. Do your maths, and when doing so, expect to save very little in the first 12 months if coming to Oman. If you can afford it, come and take a look first. It’s certainly not for everyone. The centre in itself is an eye opener! I’m hoping the new one isn’t far off. I also commend the few that endeavour to maintain and encourage a standard, but in all honesty there are no standards. Something that takes a fair bit of adjusting to when a high standard is what you are used to.

Staffing? Well interesting times ahead for ATC. The world wide shortage becomes more evident almost daily, and the Gulf region is no different. We are in demand. The employer with the best contract and conditions will be the one to woo the staff required. If only half of the initiatives in the Gulf are to be achieved and staffed, then many new controllers will be required over and above those already here. Those here will be required for sometime yet. We should be the ones dictating our pay and conditions, and not sitting around accepting mediocrity.

BlueSkye
7th May 2007, 05:17
Fox, isn't it freaky how you receive Father's Day cards on yearly basis from Spain, Malaysia, Bahrain, Monaco, Turkey, Germany, Australia, Italy, England etc?

Fox3snapshot
7th May 2007, 06:07
:E Yeah, and its so easy to remember their birthdays as it seems to always tie in with a Grand Prix!

V8supercar
13th May 2007, 18:40
Hi all again. I forgot to read this for a little while.

One main theme that emerged from this thread was that we should do our homework before committing to work over here.

I know I did my homework and I was fully aware of what I was signing up for. So we sold everything up and shipped ourselves half way around the world and our cost (in the $thousands) but when it came to reading and signing the fair-dinkum contract, the details had changed. The basic salary was nearly halved which reduces future payrises by half and other salary based benefits etc etc etc - the rest was made up of so called allowances which there is no beakdown figure for each so called allowance. In otherwords they did it in haste before the last royal decree payrise for government workers and thus limiting the amount given to controllers. And remember, it only went to those actually on the payrole at the time.

Rents were easily double to that quoted and then some and expats have had to be very resourceful and forceful with landlords to get something reasonable at reasonable rates - for now!!!

"The schooling is excellent" - well that's if you can get a spot for your child to attend and that has been an effort in some case. And because of the rents, you have to live on average, 50 minutes away from the schools. That means your children of 5 years and up have to get up at 5.30am to get to school. This is not complaining, just reality!!!

What mystifies me is that not all that long ago, controllers were highly respected members of the community, on wages comparable to highly skilled professionals such as Doctors, Airline Pilots and the like. Our responsibilities are great and the consequences of mistakes are just as great where some controllers have lost their freedom or their life, for their mistakes or should I say working conditions. Why are we allowing our profession to be treated with some contempt towards to the skills we have been developing for years of which they have not contributed towards at all? Our wages do not reflect our skills, responsibilities or profession!

JUST IMAGINE THE RESPONSE WE WOULD GET IF WE ALL JUST SAID, " WE WON'T BE COMING TO WORK TODAY/TOMORROW/NEXT SHIFT CYCLE UNTIL WE SIT DOWN AND DISCUSS OUR SALARY.

Any one care to hazard a guess how much they make in ANS charges per month in the Gulf? Imagine the turmoil we would cause if we just didn't show up for work if they didn't listen us seriously. Imagine if we could get organised enough to be listened too seriously enough? We are our own worse enemy if we just do nothing. We can all talk the talk, but who's going to to walk the walk?

throw a dyce
13th May 2007, 21:35
Just Imagine the response that we are going on strike etc etc.
Well I think Serco would have you on the first plane out.You haven't got the guts to do it,and Serco would find another band of troops to replace you.
Go on then,go on strike.You might get Nats instead god help you.:}

Funk
14th May 2007, 08:30
they've bought and paid for you now V8sprcar like they used to, the only way to get some more money in the ME is leave, withdrawing labour is not a legal option anywhere in this region :yuk:

AirNoServicesAustralia
14th May 2007, 09:35
The other option is to look elsewhere within the Gulf. People may say what they want about Serco, but I have always found that what they say you will get is what you will get, certainly no more, but also no less.

If the situation is as grim as what you say V8 then the other thing you can do is make sure you put the word out to any one else wanting to come from Oz or NZ that they will be screwed. The best way to get more in this part of the world is discourage the supply and so, as the demand increases so does your bargaining power for a better package. Here in the UAE Centre we were hugely short for a long time before we started getting 2,000 dh's per overtime shift and before the package was drastically improved (thanks again fox :ok: )

Either way good luck.

Fox3snapshot
14th May 2007, 20:03
Fat lot of good getting extra salary has done for me....these Grand Preeze arn't cheap!! Turns out I am as broke as I was with SERCO!!! :p

Enjoying being this version of being broke though...:E

Must dash, my Sangria has just turned up and the Spanish sunshine awaits! :cool:

V8supercar
17th May 2007, 18:09
I wasn't indicating that things were grim, just merely pointing out that doing your homework before committing won't do you squat if they change contract details in-between transit to your new location.

What am I going to do, arrive, receive an amended watered down contract, give them the finger turn around and fly back home!? Not until I at least re-coup what I spent getting here. I have no doubt that things must change in the future otherwise a certain part of the world is going to be hurting for controllers not too far down the track.

I agree with fox, payrises won't do a fat lot of good. Pay my rent and kids education and I don't care if I didn't get a payrise for the next 5 years.:ok:

AirNoServicesAustralia
18th May 2007, 02:33
V8, you need to understand that Fox3 chooses to be a globetrotting playboy which can be a little expensive. The payrises here in the UAE have helped most of us a lot, especially if in rent controlled Serco accomodation. Things certainly aren't perfect with Serco but at least with them generally what they say you will get is exactly what you will get. Thats why I would prefer that over direct hire in this part of the world any day. :ok:

Fox3snapshot
18th May 2007, 09:31
I didn't choose the life of a globetrotting playboy...it chose me! :p

Now, where did I put my Monaco race tickets......:E

throw a dyce
18th May 2007, 11:46
You could always stand in the mud and sleet at Silverstone.:E :E

PMS
18th May 2007, 12:08
V8

we have been saying that for years (since early 90's) both in the ME and Oz but alas air traffic controllers have been gradually getting screwed on T&C's incl pay for the last 15+ years. It will never change, because there will always be some mercenary from somewhere that will be willing to fill the hole for whatever reason.

All the ANS providers know this, and use it to their advantage. Market forces are not able to operate as they should because major governments and the private companies have conspired to keep ATC salaries way lower than what they really should be. Sad state of affairs but will always be the same, and IFATCA hasn't been able to right the wrong. Governments feel that ATC's are non professional people and pay them that way. If they acknowledge them as a distinct highly skilled profession then they will have to pay them way more...so guess what this will never happen.

I see ATC, as a losers profession because it is not treated as such by the ANSP, but yet they recognise pilots (who are really aerial bus drivers as a highly specialised profession...go figure.

My recomendation is that ATC's should look to career changes and not recommend the job to anyone, this is the only way that things may change.:ugh:

ANSA..as usual your full of crap. Serco change the rules on the run all the time and you know it as does everyone who has worked there and currently works there..so you dont really get what you sign for. Either tell the REAL story or dont post as you give people false hopes.:= :=

PMS out

AirNoServicesAustralia
19th May 2007, 02:33
PMS You really don't have a clue do you. Serco give you a contract to sign before you come and it says what housing you will get and what salary you will get and what will be included, and guess what, you get off the plane and that is what you get. You get paid on time. The only time the conditions have changed while I have been here was to go from a basic salary only where everything was provided to an all in package salary, which resulted in a whopping big payrise for most of us. Those bastards!!!!
The ones to change things on a regular basis without notice is the GCAA reference rostering, sick leave requirement for medical certificates, annual leave restrictions etc.
Serco give you what they promise, and I will keep saying it PMS, cos in the last 5 years that is exactly what has happened here (not to mention a brilliant sharesave scheme that is about to mature :ok: )
And before you call me a crawler, or a management suck up, which seems to go hand in hand here with any positive comment about any employer, look back through my previous posts where I have been brutally honest about Serco in other facets of their operations, namely, their lack of an open and transparent selection process when promoting staff and their penny pinching when it comes to provision of accomodation and the furnishing of that accomodation. They provide what they say they will, that is, they say they will give a 3 bedroom furnished apartment to a family employee, and they provide that, but they do not say the standard of that accomodation. When it comes to accomodation and the support section in general you have to keep them honest otherwise they will let you live with furniture held together with masking tape, and with 4 odd dining chairs as part of a dining suite.

despot
19th May 2007, 03:59
UAE is better now, thanks to the people that left, and thats the way its always been.