PDA

View Full Version : Light a/c down at nantwich???

adverse-bump
18th Apr 2007, 07:32
heard this as a rumour, any news???

IB4138
18th Apr 2007, 08:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6566669.stm

gingernut
18th Apr 2007, 12:47
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1004/1004834_pilot_killed_as_plane_crashes.html

maxdrypower
18th Apr 2007, 16:35
I was one of many emergency service professionals at the scene of this accident , it is a tragic incident and mine and Im sure everyone elses thoughts are with the families at this awful time
RIP

adverse-bump
18th Apr 2007, 18:46
Any idea's on where the flight departed from/was heading to, or the reg. I am involved with GA at Liverpool and Barton, serveral of us are wondering if we new the pilot or the ac. any rumours on wot may have happenend?

maxdrypower
18th Apr 2007, 18:58
Unfortunately due to procedural confidentiality issues etc etc as im sure you will all understand I am limited as to what I can say . Those at Barton who have been around for some years will know the pilot and will almost certainly have seen the aircraft . Most people at Barton are now aware and someone may well post after me . Otherwise if you give one of the barton regulars a ring they will probably tell you . The aircraft didnt depart from barton if im correct but it was from a small grass strip not too far away . I obviously cannot say too much more as having involvement from the investigation end we have persons responsible for disseminating this sort of info and I would be strongly criticised and bollocked severely if I said anything out of turn .
Again condolences to the family

BoeingBoy
18th Apr 2007, 20:38
From the Stoke on Trent Sentinel Web Site.

Condolences to the family.

____________________________________________________________ __

BREAKING NEWS: POLICE NAME PILOT KILLED IN PLANE CRASH

Police this afternoon named a pilot who died after his light aircraft crashed into a field in South Cheshire.

He is John Bell, aged 51, from Wilmslow.

Mr Bell crashed the aircraft in a field near Worleston, near Nantwich, yesterday afternoon. He is believed to have been the only occupant of the plane.

The crash happened in a cornfield, near Worleston Lane, at about 4.45pm.

The Air Accident branch of the Department of Transport has launched a full investigation into the crash and the scene was sealed off yesterday afternoon.

Peter Eichorn, aged 63, who lives in Station Road, Worleston, was at the scene when the accident happened. Mr Eichorn said the pilot had taken off from a small airstrip nearby but suffered engine failure.

He said: "The plane was a home-built kit. It took off from a strip nearby and suffered engine failure. The aircraft was about 100 feet up and just seemed to drop straight down after take-off. It totally disintegrated when it hit the ground.

"I was nearby with a few other people and we were in shock. We ran over to see if we could do anything but it was impossible. The pilot was trapped in the wreckage. I managed to get to him but there was nothing I could do so we waited for the emergency services.

"It's the first time the pilot has been to this airstrip because he usually uses one at Lymm. I spoke to him and he was very excited to fly here for the first time."

The small airstrip is on Dairyfields Farm, which belongs to farmer Fred Percival.

He said: "I've been here for 30 years and there's never been an accident before."

Police say Mr Bell was travelling alone in the two-seater light aircraft.

A Cheshire Police spokesman said: "Emergency services attended the scene to find a two-seater light aircraft had crashed into a cornfield. The male pilot, the sole occupant, received fatal injuries."

Councillor Brian Silvester, leader of Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council, said: "This is terrible news. I shouldn't imagine a lot of pilots fly aircrafts in this area but to learn a Cheshire man has died as a result of the crash is very upsetting."

Nantwich councillor John Dwyer added: "I'm very sorry to hear about this tragic accident and my thoughts are with the family of the pilot who died.

"The only saving grace is that no-one else was injured and the pilot managed to avoid any houses."

Witnesses to the accident are being asked to call Cheshire Police on 0845 458 0000.

Link Here:

This is Staffordshire (http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk:80/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=158315&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231463&home=yes&more_nodeId1=158324&contentPK=17129709)

Morty76
19th Apr 2007, 16:09
Great shame. Have known John for a number of years and you wouldn't meet a nicer guy.

My thoughts are with his family.

Pulsar Flyer
20th Apr 2007, 12:54
I also was a friend of John - I have the same type of aircraft and had flown with him many times, also in loose formation to many places.

I am shocked and saddened by this loss

EGCC4284
20th Apr 2007, 14:43
Where was his aircraft based and does anyone know the reg

Airbus38
20th Apr 2007, 15:28
G-BULM I assume.

My heart goes out to family and friends.
A38

Pulsar Flyer
20th Apr 2007, 17:22
Yes it was G-BULM, an Aero Designs Pulsar based at Lymm Dam Airstrip near Warrington.