PDA

View Full Version : Pcn/lcn

411A
18th Apr 2007, 01:41
Does anyone here happen to know the maximum allowed PCN/LCN at GIB/LXGB?
An L1011, in addition to LIS, might be headed to GIB in the not too distant future, if allowed.
LIS will be a scheduled service, GIB on an as needed basis.

212man
18th Apr 2007, 02:06
Here's some info: has LCG value. It implies the maximum aircraft size is B-757 but I'd be surprised if that were really the case bearing (no pun intended) in mind that it's a joint RAF/Civil base and the RAF use L-1011s.

http://www.azworldairports.com/cfm/frame.cfm?src=http://www.azworldairports.com/airports/p1620gib.htm

Dan Winterland
18th Apr 2007, 03:33
But I don't think they go there. I used to fly a smaller jet transport in the RAF and we never went to Gib. It was too short.

enicalyth
19th Apr 2007, 06:17
G’Day 411A.

As I recall Gib promulgates Runway 09 / Runway 27 as dimensions 1829x46 metres with a “Load Classification Group” rather than PCN. The runway is LCGIII grooved asphalt which generally means the band LCN 51-75. In the RAF a TriStar C Mk 2 is “plated” at 505,000lbf assessed as LCN 68 on asphalt with a medium subgrade. But wait. North and South Dispersal are LCG III/IV and the taxiway is LCG IV which group is generally LCN 31-50. Therefore do not be surprised if LXGB declines to take you on a basis that implies the slightest hint of some regularity.

On a parallel note the history of British-Spanish relationships has its ups and downs. Indeed military and civil aircraft approaches differ but they are not ideal for either and can be a function of the temperature of politics.

Navaids in my time were TACAN GBR Ch83 (113.6) and mandatory radar service with talkdown on 130.4 with the additional plus on Rwy 09 of a VDP at 3d followed by a stiff turn from 001Mag to 91Mag.

Rwy27 approaches seemed to start at 10d on 271Mag with its surprise being a whacking great dip in the runway’s first 300 metres. When I say dip I mean man-sized.

Just to add spice there are storm drains along the edges and quirky turbulence and what could be misconstrued almost as a deliberate Spanish policy to make the pier lighting at La Linea as much like a runway as possible! Shurely shome mishtake!!

202 Sqn RAF from Aldergrove used to whump their Hastings down with great aplomb and I can personally vouch for that supreme Valor oil heater, the Hercules. But a TriStar should be interesting to watch if you get the nod to hit the sod.

“Djebel Tariq” and have some “Madeira” M’Dear are good places to walk away from.