PDA

View Full Version : Netherlands - Fresian/Zeeland Islands

stiknruda
17th Apr 2007, 18:42
Whilst climbing out of Schipol last week north east bound on the SID, I happened to notice that the chain of Islands just off the coast all had little strips.

Has anyone been?

Would they be a fun destination for a weekend in something small, bi-winged with like-minded friends in tow?

Stik

DaveW
17th Apr 2007, 19:06
Texel (http://www.texelairport.nl/) has always appealed, and I've read lots of good things in forums about the place and people, so I reckon the answer must be "Yes"!
http://www.texelairport.nl/headlines/EHTX_20060504_624_2.jpg
Aren't the Zeeland Islands the ones South of Schipol?

BackPacker
17th Apr 2007, 19:31
Five islands to the north of the Netherlands, collectively called the Waddeneilanden. Two of them have airfields, both very nice destinations: Texel (EHTX) and Ameland (EHAL).

In the southwest of the Netherlands are the former islands (now connected by dikes and bridges) of Zeeland. One airfield, near Goes, called Midden Zeeland (EHMZ).

All three are grass strips. Texel and Midden Zeeland are Airports of Entry so you can route direct from the UK. (EHMZ requires 1hr PN for customs.)

Eudokia
17th Apr 2007, 19:46
Texel has a great Fly Inn on July 21 st.

http://www.texelairshow.nl/

CapCon
17th Apr 2007, 20:19
I flew to Midden Zeeland last week, what a great airfield. Was my first flight across the water and I can definately say I'll be going back in the not too distant future. Very easy to get to as well. Direct DVR - KOK - COA (passing overhead Ostende). The city is a 15 min taxi away and was nice to walk around.

Definately worth a visit :ok:

Cheers, CapCon

dirkdj
18th Apr 2007, 05:17
The way to go in Texel and Midden-Zeeland is to rent bikes. In MZ you can ride to Veere along the lake, and in Texel you can take the bike path (mind the sheep crossing the path) and ride along the northwest side of the island.

There is a brand new hotel at Texel airport since last year too.

stiknruda
18th Apr 2007, 07:02
Excellent info, thanks chaps!

Dirk, do you have Texel hotel details?

dirkdj
18th Apr 2007, 10:14
Stik,
go to http://www.texelairport.nl/. If necessary give the airport administrator Ed de Bruyn a call, you won't find a more helpful and nice airfield in Europe. The airport hotel is 25 yards from the aircraft parking, I don't have the direct number any more but Ed de Bruyn can give it to you if you call.
There are also a fair number of B&B on the island, usually they want you to stay for more than one night but this may be negociated.
For those with really really limited payloads, you can leave the bikinis at home, there are several naturist beaches nearby too.

eyeinthesky
18th Apr 2007, 16:52
Ameland is much recommended.

Grass airstrip only 10 mins walk from the village. There you can hire bikes, have lunch in the Eetcafe next door, or go slightly further upmarket and eat the the Hotel Nobel just around the corner.
After lunch, you can cycle through the dunes to a great almost deserted beach.

If the Dutch airforce are not busy, you can route along the other islands and do your strafing practice on the tanks on Vlieland.

Just be aware: you cannot land in Ameland directly from the UK due to the Schengen agreement, and they have no fuel for visiting aircraft.

Zulu Alpha
18th Apr 2007, 23:21
small, bi-winged with like-minded friends in tow?
Bi-winged, you mean like a Laser?
Surely a mistake ... you mean quad-winged don't you? :O

SkyHawk-N
19th Apr 2007, 06:26
you can leave the bikinis at home, there are several naturist beaches nearby too.

stiknruda? :suspect:

Lister Noble
19th Apr 2007, 18:10
Stik,
Over the years we have sailed to all the Frisian Islands and must agree with everyones positive comments.
The islands are peaceful,interesting places,lovely people,good food and beer!
Quite difficult navigation from the sea, but obviously a bit easier from the air.
Our favourite is the most easterly one,Schiermonikoog but I'm not sure if there is an airstrip.
Good luck.
Lister

Pitts2112
19th Apr 2007, 19:34
Folks, all very good feedback but I'm not entirely sure that quiet and peaceful is what a pack of Pitts pilots on a weekend jolly away from the homesteads are really looking for.

What's the word on the local nightlife in any of these places? Not enough to get into trouble, mind you, but to just test the edges of it a little. :)

Pitts2112

BackPacker
19th Apr 2007, 22:06
There is "some" nightlife on Texel (EHTX), particularly in the larger(-ish) town of Den Burg. The other islands, including Ameland (EHAL) are mostly visited by nature lovers and they tend to go to bed early. The only exception to this is Terschelling, where there is a lot of nightlife, particularly for the youth (16-20 youth that is, not the "second youth" of the average biplane driver), in West-Terschelling and Midsland. But Terschelling has no airstrip and is not easily reachable from either EHTX or EHAL.

I've never sampled the nightlife in Zeeland, but I guess Goes, Vlissingen and Middelburg are all fairly reasonably-sized towns with bars and such, and not too far away from EHMZ. Lots of Germans around, too.