PDA

View Full Version : N-reg's in Belgium and Holland

LimaRomeo
17th Apr 2007, 12:14
Don't know if this is the right group so feel free to move this thread.

I'm making a list of N-reg's (American-registered single engine planes) in Belgium and Holland. I already have a nice list that I will share when ready, but wonder if others know more places?

Drop a line on this forum if you know N-reg a/c in Belgium and Holland and I'll publish the list in the next few weeks!

Thanks!

LR

IO540
17th Apr 2007, 12:27
What is the point of doing this???

LimaRomeo
17th Apr 2007, 13:51
By the end of the summer, I will have FAA PPL, so I can only fly N-regs. There are some American planes scattered around Belgium and Holland but nobody has a clear view on where/when/prices/contact numbers. Personally, I have been looking - for a few months now - for N-regs around where I live and it's difficult to find. I'm sure other pilots would like to know too where N-regs are located. So with the help of other European FAA PPL holders, we can get all this information together and put in in an overview list.

That's the point ...

LR

Mark 1
17th Apr 2007, 13:59
"I will have FAA PPL, so I can only fly N-regs"

Seems rather a strange statement, unless you are talking about IR privileges.

No issues with an ICAO compliant PPL holder flying G- or other aircraft asm far as I'm aware.

LimaRomeo
17th Apr 2007, 14:32
That's an old discussion that I organised in another thread already. In Belgium, you can NOT fly a Belgian-reg airplanes with FAA PPL. I know it should be possible according to ICAO. Bit it's against the law in Belgium, I have it in written from Belgian CAA. In Holland and France as well. Only UK does recognize FAA PPL as equel. See this topic:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262649

That's just the way it is. No use re-opening that discussion...

Chilli Monster
17th Apr 2007, 16:23
LimaRomeo

Most 'N' reg are owned by individuals or groups - not flying schools or hire organisations. What makes you think these individuals are going to give their pride and joy to a newly qualified PPL with no experience flying in local airspace?

Expect the Belgian equivalent of "go away" when you start touting for a ride. Of course, if you want to buy a share in one of these then it's a different matter of course.

(Why don't you convert your FAA, when you have it, to JAA?)

IO540
17th Apr 2007, 18:14
LR - that's right, ICAO does not force member states to validate foreign licenses on their own reg planes. It merely suggests they should :)

You will find groups around N-reg planes around the place but they tend to be made up mainly of IFR pilots. After all, the most common driver behind N-reg is the FAA IR. But few will accept a fresh PPL. The planes tend to be good ones and while a clever PPL can easily master say a Cirrus SR22 or a TB20 in a few tens of hours (or less) that represents a fair bit of money for you to spend flying dual. I used to rent out an N-reg TB20 so I am somewhat familiar with the situation.

sternone
17th Apr 2007, 19:55
What is your homebase airport ? mine is EBGB

LimaRomeo
18th Apr 2007, 14:51
I live near EBTN (Tienen-Goetsenhoven)

LimaRomeo
18th Apr 2007, 19:59
I0540: What you say is true: few private owners of N-regs will rent out their babies to a low-time fresh PPL-holder. That list I am compiling would primarely consist of N-regs owned by FBO's or rental companies.

IO540
18th Apr 2007, 20:52
There won't be many (what the Americans call) FBOs in Europe operating N-reg. The UK has a law (ANO article 140) banning the use of a foreign reg plane for "aerial work" and I am sure every other European country has a similar law - otherwise almost everybody would be on the N-reg! Europe has to protect the income of its domestic CAAs somehow...

It's legal (in the UK, anyway) to rent an N-reg but it's done within small groups.

Yankee
18th Apr 2007, 22:41
Here's one in Belgium with "N" planes for hire. http://www.gatcbe.com/index.html
If the link gets cut due advertisiing, PM me. I have no connection with the company, just found it.

Radar
19th Apr 2007, 23:37
LR,

The freindly folks at Air Service Limburg (http://www.asl.nl) have an Archer II and a Turbo Arrow on the N-reg. Based EHBK.