PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Insurance

sconebum
14th Apr 2007, 12:51
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought an Aeronca Chief old taildragging lady of slow flight! Can anyone reccomend a good insurer as some of the quotes i'm getting are a bit off the mark? Basically, I'm after fly by the hour or similar, hull value £15k and 30-40 hours per year. PS. I may consider sharing as she will no doubt be under utilised. If you fancy a half share in a Chief (totally original 2000 hrs total time from new, great condition and soon to be based in Essex, then please call or email. Toodles, quite relaxingly along at 80mph on 3.5 galls per hour (mogas of course). Costs shall be in the region of £70-£80 per month period. Tail dragging instuction can be arranged. And please, no tyre kickers or edjits wanting a free hour for their log! Cheers.

ChampChump
14th Apr 2007, 22:18
Welcome to the Airknocker Appreciation Society!
I use Jennings to insure my Champ (they advertise in PF) and don't pay a fortune (in aviation terms...:\ ). PM for more information.

Hope to see you around.....
CC

QDMQDMQDM
15th Apr 2007, 08:52
Try www.onrisk.co.uk If you join the Devon Strut they give a 10% discount too.

sconebum
15th Apr 2007, 09:34
Hi, everyone,

Thanks for the replies, yes I bought "ST" which was based in Scotland. I'm just about to wheech it down to Tim's bit at great Oakley, where I'll do the taildragging bit , hopefully with the PFA's Richard K.
I'm getting stupid quotes at over a grand. I considered "Onrisk" but I'm not sure as they seem to be Turkish. No offence intended here, I just have a concern or 2, should something happen with them not being a British insurer. Maybe they will shake up the industry in the UK a bit and bring rates down.

I'll get myself signed up for the Aeronca Club shortly.

Cheers to all.
Sconebum

Jodelman
15th Apr 2007, 09:50
"I considered "Onrisk" but I'm not sure as they seem to be Turkish."

Onrisk are a British intermediary but they seem to place all their aviation risks with the Albion Ins Co who are based in Northern Cyprus, a country not recocognised by any other country except Turkey. I also have been told that their accounts are audited in Latvia.

ChampChump
15th Apr 2007, 21:47
Wealthy? Moi? I am wealthy in everything except money...:hmm:
Yes, it was good to bump into some of the gang again. Sadly I can't make Bodmin this time, although I maybe able to visit later in the year. Are you going to head SE to see us in July?
I only mentioned Jennings because the quoted premium was very competitive against others for similar aeroplanes/pilots (much to 'AR's disgust). I didn't know Pete W was negotiating on our behalf....
Vis. was much better today, hence this late post...:E Old Warden: glorious.
CC

Pulsar Flyer
20th Apr 2007, 13:09
Try Traffords. I found them substantially cheaper and helpful