PDA

View Full Version : Vans RV8

360BakTrak
13th Apr 2007, 21:42
Have any of you fine people imported, constructed and flown an RV8 (or any RV)? If so can I get in touch to ask a few questions about shipping, building etc etc please?

Many thanks!:ok:

smarthawke
13th Apr 2007, 21:47
There's a couple of excellent places to try, both available through the (non-Vans Aircraft Inc) UK website:

http://www.rvuk.co.uk/

Namely the UK RV Sqn Yahoo Group and the new UK RV Forum.

Build an RV, fly an RV and you'll never want for any other toy!

360BakTrak
13th Apr 2007, 21:52
I used to have a share in an RV4 hence my addiction! Would love to have my own though! Seen that website thanks, thought I'd trawl around here too but will contact the RVUK chaps over the weekend. :ok:

Mark 1
14th Apr 2007, 20:51
I have an RV-4 and am building an RV-8. They are a serious addiction, but no better way to fritter away the next generation's inheritance.

Feel free to fire away your Qs, either here or PM as you prefer.

Double Asymmetric
15th Apr 2007, 00:57
Hi there,
at the slight risk of thread creep, while we're at it is there any experience out there in F1/Harmon Rockets?
I've been RV dreaming for a long time and wonder what the general thoughts are on flying a Rocket as opposed to a stock RV. Budd Davisson gave his thoughts on a six cylinder vs four cylinder up front when he said:
There is absolutely no substitute for cubic inches. None. When it comes to all realms of performance, including going up, going fast, and running at low power settings, it's hard to beat having more engine than the airplane actually needs. Is this a subjective statement? Absolutely! Is it true? In this pilot's mind it is. That's why it's subjective.
When you can run at well over 200 mph while pulling barely 50% power at fuel burns approximating high-end four-cylinder numbers, think what you're doing for engine reliability. You have the power when you want it, which gives the option of not using it when its not needed, like in cruise. But, the cubic inches are always there and they always make themselves known in the form of increased performance.

I'd be greatful for people's opinions...again, sorry for the thread drift!!!
DA

Andy_RR
15th Apr 2007, 07:03
running a large engine at low power settings is great for exercising your wallet!

Mark 1
15th Apr 2007, 09:20
There is a Harmon project going through approval in the UK (are you UK based - DA?), but I don't have any personal knowledge.

It depends what you're after. My 150HP RV-4 is not under-powered. Cruise at 130KIAS at 55% power setting, from which you can loop it without touching the throttle, climbs at 1400 ft/min gross or 2000 ft/min solo.

A lighter aeroplane will usually handle and fly better than a heavier one.
Pay your money and take your choice.

360BakTrak
16th Apr 2007, 10:13
Thanks Mark 1, I'll be in touch shortly! My main questions are about shipping and so on. Will Pm you soon! Cheers!

BlueRobin
16th Apr 2007, 10:16
Mark, are you building the -8 at home? I'll have to stop by the next time I'm passing with the dog

360BakTrak
16th Apr 2007, 10:56
I might make the same request if I don't live too far away! (Minus my dogs tho!)

Mark 1
16th Apr 2007, 12:13
Visitors are welcome, though after 10 minutes you'll likely be handed a rivetting dolly.

Currently just wings and empennage. I need to make a few adjustments to the workshop prior to the fuselage arriving (slow-build flat-pack variety).

rtl_flyer
16th Apr 2007, 14:21
If it's any help here is my Vans RV7 build site/diary. www.go-7.co.uk
Go to the Diary pages to see the day by day progress or the construction section to see by topic - like Dynon D100, Engine monitor etc.
Regarding performance: My RV7 has a new Superior IO-360 with Hartzell c/s. The performance is fantastic. I am off the ground as I pass the numbers and 1'500ft by the end of Thruxtons runway. Was doing 200mph round the IOW the other weekend. Only have 18 hrs on it so far but have to say it was worth all the effort.
HEATH WARNING: Don't take a ride in an RV, as you will really really want one :)
Tim

will5023
16th Apr 2007, 19:47
Hi ,I have imported an RV8 recently and a RV6 before that, mail me and will piont you in the right direction.

Regards Will.

360BakTrak
16th Apr 2007, 19:52
A PM is winging it's way to you as I type.........................! Cheers!

davidatter708
16th Apr 2007, 20:10
RTL that health warning is a bit late ive got over 20 free blissful hours in an rv6 I want an aerobatic rv either 4 or 8. Im only 17 but have a full license Its a night mare i should be thinking of uni AS and A/levels not when can I build an aircraft.
David

360BakTrak
16th Apr 2007, 22:08
Nothing wrong with ambition David! Get your A-levels first though.......an RV 4/8 won't pay your mortgage in later life!!

will5023
17th Apr 2007, 21:06
Hey David, I cut my teeth on a Taylormono plane when I was 17(1987), did not get the RV Grin till 1999 ! We all have to start somewhere, mid you you can get a Luton Minor for £2500, cheap flying !! Details are in PFA Magazine.

Will.

Like This - Do That
24th Apr 2007, 07:41
A Californian bloke called Dan Checkoway has a great site about the building, flying and maintaining of his RV-8:

Dan's RV Project (http://www.rvproject.com/)

DaveW
24th Apr 2007, 08:25
Checkoway's is indeed an excellent site, but his is an RV-7 (side by side) not an RV-8 (tandem). In a similar vein is Richard Horan's UK RV-7 site here (http://www.rvproject.co.uk/).

An excellent resource for all things Van's, with links to many different builders' sites, is Van's Air Force (http://www.vansairforce.net/).