PDA

View Full Version : Officially entered in the hold?

Brontebound
13th Apr 2007, 16:22
When is an airmen in the hold offically. I believe it is when you have completed the tear drop or parallel and have crossed the fix on the first inbound leg on the correct course. Instructor says when you have passed the fix while copleteing the tear drop.

Not sure

keithl
13th Apr 2007, 19:03
Well, what do you mean by "in the hold officially"? There is the entry procedure and there is holding. The Offset and Direct should (unless you make a lot of errors), be within the published pattern - the parallel arguably takes place outside it. But I don't know that there is a point at which you are "officially" in the hold.

More explanation, please.

AHRS
13th Apr 2007, 19:22
The Hold is efective when you are cleared and have entered the hold, upon repoting passage overhead THE FIRST TIME....entry positioning and timing are a navigation formality to comply withthe delay that caused you to be cleared to hold in the first place.whether by ATC or by your tardiness to get dirty in PROPER configuration and correct initial approach altitude.

cjam
14th Apr 2007, 00:25
About half a second before the pax.

TACHO
14th Apr 2007, 11:08
Think that Brontebound is asking are you considered to be "in the hold" when:

A) you are performing the entry procedure?

Or

B) you have actually established on the inbound and are passing overhead the beacon.

I have always understood it to be when you have initially passed over the beacon that is on the inbound or alternatively when performing the teardrop or flying the reciprocal of the inbound on your parallel entry. So in other words what your instructor said...:8

Tacho