PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to a pilot career

pilotho
12th Apr 2007, 14:23
I just found out that I might not get a class 1 due to the difference in vision correction in my eyes.

Looks like I would have to consider other options within aviation. So far I have 2 in mind:

ATC and flight dispatcher.

I am just wondering what you guys have in your contingency plan. Just in case of course!

pumuckl
12th Apr 2007, 15:06
You will find that the ATC medical is pretty much just as stringent as that for the pilots. In terms of eyesight, for some reason, it is even more stringent (at the moment anyway), although the difference in vision between the eyes is the same as that for the JAA Class 1. You will need a UK Class 1 medical for ATC in the UK, and as far as I know, you will have to get your initial medical in Gatwick, just like the JAA Class 1 (unless you go through NATS who have their own CAA approved medical examiner for initial medicals).

Best thing is to talk to the medical people in Gatwick and maybe fax them your eye prescription, they should be able to let you know.

Good luck.
p.

pilotho
14th Apr 2007, 16:57
so anyone got ideas besides the two that i have mentioned?

airbus2boeing
16th Apr 2007, 12:27
I had a job offer as a weather analyst for travelocity. Pay is about $55,000/year and you deal with aviation stuff everyday (wx, pilots, ATC, angry passengers, etc.)

Vee One...Rotate
16th Apr 2007, 13:57
Maybe something aeronautical/aerospace engineering wise? Depends to an extent on your background and education but it may be an option.

Julian Hensey
16th Apr 2007, 15:03
You might want to look at a Commercial Pilot's Licence for hot air balloons, there is a thriving rides operations sector across the UK and worldwide, and the medical requirements are not quite as stringent for ATPL stuff.

Check out www.bbac.org (http://www.bbac.org) for further details on requirements.