PDA

View Full Version : Chinese "birdman" crashes microlight

rotornut
12th Apr 2007, 14:15
"Birdman" in hospital after test flight

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:57AM EDT
BEIJING (Reuters) - A self-taught Chinese amateur pilot, dubbed the "birdman" by Chinese media, has landed in a hospital with a broken chin and leg after taking his homemade airplane for a test flight, Chinese media reported on Wednesday.

Li Xianfeng, 30, hovered about 150 feet above the ground for two minutes with his microlight-style aircraft, then plowed into fields on the outskirts of Beijing Monday, the Xinhua news agency said.

Li, who taught himself about aviation by reading books, declared his flight "partly successful," according to the report, which said he would stay in the hospital for at least a month.

"Luckily the engine was not damaged and I will continue flying until I can make a perfect landing," Li was quoted as saying.

The shattered aircraft, aluminum-framed and 21 feet long with a wingspan of 30 feet, cost Li 30,000 yuan ($3,883), the report said, adding he had spent all his spare time and money on making airplane models and later real ones.

"I want a perfect landing in my own self-made plane," Li was quoted as saying, adding he was willing to risk his life to achieve his life-long dream.

Private pilots in China must apply to aviation authorities for permission to fly, but the report said many amateurs like Li fly without permission in sparsely populated rural areas.

Sunday, a private aircraft crashed into a rural courtyard in the eastern province of Shandong, killing the amateur pilot, according to Chinese media.

gingernut
13th Apr 2007, 13:26
"....declared his flight "partly successful,"

Can't help admire his, maybe misguided, optimism.:)

gasax
13th Apr 2007, 13:39
Good on him. Partially successful seems a reasonable description for your first flight, albeit with a crunch at the end.

Didn't those two brothers in the Us have a bit of a technical issue - after Wilburs first flight the Flyer was wrecked?

At 150 feet above ground and 2 minutes it wasn't bad. Probably should have read more about the brothers and how they taught theemselves...

The world would be a sadder place without this sort of thing!