PDA

View Full Version : Flight above tropical cyclones/typhoons/hurricanes

EngineOut
12th Apr 2007, 03:23
Just wonder what sort of weather phenomena could be expected when flying over the eye of a tropical cyclone/hurricane/typhoon.

Thanks.

The Rage
12th Apr 2007, 07:41
Flew over a typhoon at FL430 a few years back. Didnt like the idea of it but to my suprise it was a very smooth ride. Cant say if its always like that.

EngineOut
12th Apr 2007, 07:59
Was also after what happens to things like temperature/pressure as you pass over the eye

bwicker
12th Apr 2007, 08:01
What was the view like? :)

A37575
12th Apr 2007, 13:03
Ask the eye-witness...:ok:

Paris Hilton
13th Apr 2007, 13:30
If you traverse the system from one side to the other, expect significant high level cloud and CB activity. As you approach and cross the eye, it clears out for a while.

Temp. warms as you enter the system, warmest at center, then cools again as you leave, back to about where it was when you entered it.

Wind changes direction by approx 180 deg as you traverse, dropping to about zero over the eye. Then back to about where it was after exiting.

Usually fairly significant turbulence is encountered (even avoiding CB's as you do) smoothing towards the eye.

Pressure? Not sure. (just flying standard 2992/1013).

At FL 430, the above poster was obviously above most of the action.

The Rage
13th Apr 2007, 14:15
The view was beautiful. blue skies on the top and a white blanket just below. But just to put it straight, we didnt fly over the eye, we usually get routed away or more towards the edge. We wernt the hurricane hunters! I dont Think the old man was that brave or stupid. Sorry to miss lead!

balsa model
13th Apr 2007, 15:56
Thread contribution: Wiki says that the whole turmoi should end at tropopause which can easily extend above FL430 particularily in tropics. On top of that, it says that some storms can overshoot into the lower stratosphere. It doesn't give vertical pressure profiles but horizontally, the sudden drop in pressure is confined to 50...100 km radius. The most severe winds are noticed at up to double that distance.

Somewhat off-thread: Could you even do it legally, i.e. fly over the eye, with an airliner (Part # ... this or that)? In case of sudden loss of cabin pressure, could you still dive low and guarantee not to overstress the frame / flame out, etc?
(I don't mean to hijack the thread but breath extra life into it. Or is that the same?)

Capt Claret
14th Apr 2007, 01:17
Engine Out

The following was taken about April last year, passing just south of the eye of Tropical Cyclone Monica at about FL360, then about Category 3 or 4. The ride was smooth, but not much to see in the dark.

In the past my experiences of flying near cyclones has been smooth conditions with strong winds.

http://users.bigpond.com/garrettgundry/Monica2.jpg