PDA

View Full Version : Greek Islands and refuelling

Julian Hensey
11th Apr 2007, 18:53
For those poor souls that do that holiday runs, do you refuel on the Greek Islands or must you take out enough fuel to get back? I know it is a simple question, but always wanted to know which islands have refuelling capabilities.

Flying Torquewrench
11th Apr 2007, 19:10
Julian,

On all the Greek islands i have been we could refuel normally. So no requirement to take round trip fuel ex UK.

Julian Hensey
11th Apr 2007, 20:38
Also am I right in thinking that Athens is the diversion airport for Greek Islands, as in you wouldn't try to go to another island, just straight for Athens?

Pilot Pete
11th Apr 2007, 22:30
No Julian, Athens is not the 'only' diversion airfield for all the Greek airfields. Quite often it is not a nominated diversion at all for some of the islands. Why would you you think that we would have to have Athens as a diversion when another 'island' may have a perfectly acceptable airfield? Remember the Greek islands are spread about over an awfully large area with many other 'big' fields much closer than Athens.;)

PP

Julian Hensey
12th Apr 2007, 08:57
The only reason I see Athens as a diversion first is that everytime there was a problem with landing at a Greek Island, it seems the aircraft diverted to Athens. That's all.

haughtney1
12th Apr 2007, 12:32
Brindisi is a favourite for the dreaded night Corfu:E

So is Thesaloniki...for the fun that is Skiathos:}

Pilot Pete
12th Apr 2007, 12:44
And the equally fun Samos!:cool:

PP

Threethirteen
15th Apr 2007, 00:49
My favourites were Preveza (water both ends but great scenery and an F16 formation takeoff on occasion) and end-of -season squall lines in Kalamata ("Hope the weather improves for the rest of your holiday and no cameras in the airport please!").

With regards to Tankering and uplift, some places are genuinely awful to refuel at and my first company left Tankering to the Cptns discretion on the basis that the time saving (tight summer scheduling and wanting to avoid knock-on delays) was worth the extra burn.

Most places are good but occasionally you can be at the back of a q for the fuel truck, or use up the dregs of the bowser and have to wait again.

That said, the same can happen at MAN, SPL, CDG, GVA, TFS, LGW etc etc etc.