PDA

View Full Version : Call Sign useage in the U.S.

Blue Albatross
10th Apr 2007, 20:53
A mate and I are going on a flying trip across the Western USA. We heard it was possible to change your callsign from the typical "Cessna Blah Blah Blah" to something else, but we're not sure if this is limited to formation flying only.

Can someone please advise us?

jai6638
12th Apr 2007, 03:17
Not sure about formation flying but as far as I know, you can't change your call sign unless you are in an uncontrolled airport. For example, if I was talking to ATC or landing at an airport with a tower, I would say after initial contact "Cessna 86Mike". However, in uncontrolled airspace or at an airport with no tower, I could say "White Cessna on left downwind runway 24".. I would personally not advocate this but some people do it...

SkyHawk-N
12th Apr 2007, 06:11
....and the reason for doing this would be?

jai6638
12th Apr 2007, 12:19
I believe its because they are lazy... :) I always use my proper callsign

Dave Gittins
12th Apr 2007, 12:50
In the US with the unicom system it is usual to say Skyhawk 01 K ... just so as yer know that when somebody calls up Lear 55 M, it's just worth a little attention to how much quicker he can do everything than you ..... and he knows you are a wee bit slower than him.

I can't see any reason to do different.

Do you want to fly round calling Blue Sky 001 to pretend you are an airliner ?

:confused:

jai6638
12th Apr 2007, 15:08
Dave, I cant tell if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me.. I would personally say "Warrior 86M" at an uncontrolled airport..

Dave Gittins
12th Apr 2007, 16:01
jai6638 Agreeing with you ... expanding on the reason to do what's sensible :ok:

and wondering why anybody should want to do different. :confused:

jai6638
12th Apr 2007, 16:13
jai6638 Agreeing with you ... expanding on the reason to do what's sensible

Sorry.. Its been a long day. My comprehension skills go down as the days progresses. lol!