PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot bleep

high-hopes
9th Apr 2007, 22:58
Ok this is gonna sound really stupid, but as they say there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;)

Recently I have been a passenger on easyjet A319s quite a few times and can always hear the A/P disengage bleep shortly before touchdown. (Yes, the flight deck door was shut !)
I have never been able to hear it on different aircraft / operators. Certainly never heard the characteristic Boeing bleep.

Is this just because of the fairly quiet Airbus cabin ?
But then, if so, why can I hear the disengage tone, but not, for example the altitude callouts ?

Thanks for your kind answers :)

Tight Slot
10th Apr 2007, 01:08
The Airbus disconnect alarm always goes off as one takes out the auto-jockey, however, on the Boeings if one pushes the discon button quick enough a second time, it cancels the alarm without really hearing it. If you're slow in doing so then a bloody "orid" noise goes off that drowns out most other sounds in the flight deck.

bri1980
19th Apr 2007, 16:59
I recently went in an A330 simulator (and had an amazing 2 hours by the way). I noticed that when I was landing, I was concentrating so hard I could not remember hearing the altitude call outs (to the point that on one landing I could have sworn they were not there), despite flaring and taking off the power at the right heights.

Do any genuine airbus pilots notice this too?

The autoilot disconnect-well I never heard because we never used the A/P but the autothrust disconnect 'ping' was fairly loud when you were sat next to it!

Vee One...Rotate
19th Apr 2007, 17:24
Simple. The Airbus is made out of plastic and cardboard. The Boeing is made of manly metal and the like.

*Dons flak jacket and hunkers down*

Doug E Style
19th Apr 2007, 20:06
bri1980, I always make a point of listening out for the height (not altitude) call outs; if for any reason I don't hear them then I do the landing with my eyes open.

bri1980
19th Apr 2007, 20:18
Ooops, I did put altitude didn't I? Should have known better!!

I think on the day I was listening for them and was aware of them at the time they were announced, but just had no memory of them afterwards!

Landing the A330 sim was thrilling-just can't wait to get the ATPL and do it with the real thing!

B

bri1980
20th Apr 2007, 16:15
An electronically synthesised cavalry of course!!