PDA

View Full Version : New Brunswick - GA

Arclite01
9th Apr 2007, 20:28
Hi

I've been looking on the web for GA in New Brunswick but without a great deal of luck.

Is there much GA in NB ?, I am particularly interested in Taildragger stuff - Cubs mainly)

Thanks

Arc

604guy
11th Apr 2007, 14:29
What exactly are you looking for? Reletive to the population, yes there is fair amount of GA in NB, including that of the tailwheel variety.

Arclite01
12th Apr 2007, 21:28
well, we are in the process of emigrating to Canada and NB is one of the areas we are thinking of living.
I have got about 120hrs of tailwheel time in PA18 and J3 Cubs and was thinking about a number of options, maybe:
1. A share in a syndicate taildragger (Cub type thing) and flying that, most of my time is from farm strips so I would be comfortable in that type of operation
2. Buying my own J3 and operating that from a farm strip
3. Buying a big field and operating a J3 cub from that (my own strip)
4. Buying and operating a motorglider (gliding - my first love)
5. Maybe starting up my own syndicate based around a J3 or PA18 (if we all have loads of money !) :}
Definately not interested in flying 152 type aeroplanes.
Thoughts on how realistic these are ?? - and what are the legalities of operating from your own strip in Canada ?
Arc

Arclite01
25th Apr 2007, 07:01
No one got any comments then on the above ?

thanks

Arc

Pilot DAR
25th Apr 2007, 11:10
Hi Arc,

Canadian law easily permits the operation of a private aircraft from private property, as long as it is safely done. Safely meaning that the distances and approaches are are suited to the aircraft and you're not flying right over someone else's home/business/livestock etc to accomplish your operation. New Brunswick is a beautiful province in which to fly though much of it's topography does not lend itself to purchasing property for your own runway. Your own runway is also a lot of work (ask me how I know!). There are some smal runways, though proportionatly not as many as elsewhere in Canada.

A floatplane on one of the rivers or lakes is another good choice for most of the year.

As for buying a plane, yup, they're for sale, all it takes is money! You will find a pleasing array of aircraft offered for sale from which to choose, though remind yourself that an aircraft offered for sale in Canada could be 2500 miles away from New Brunswick, and there are considerations in looking at it at the time of purchase, then getting it home!

I hope that helps, Pilot DAR

dewarg
25th Apr 2007, 12:41
Have a look at this web site.

http://members.tripod.com/HavelockNBFlyingClub/

604guy
25th Apr 2007, 14:53
Hi Arc,

Sorry to be so long in responding but I have been on the road much of the past 2 weeks.

There are some syndicate owners of private aircraft in the area but most of them tend not to be taildraggers. Mostly PA28, C172 and the like. The majority of taildraggers tend to be single owners. A goodly portion of those aircraft tend to be of the homebuilt variety, RV4, RV 6 etc.

As the earlier poster stated, there isn't any problem in flying your own aircraft at of a private strip but I would agree that the topography is somewhat limited for that sort of thing. Mostly going to be confined to river valleys with a few exceptions or really enjoy working with large machinery in land clearing activities. There are a number of small strips however that provide opportunities for private owners to base aircraft.

Regards,

Arclite01
29th Apr 2007, 02:35
Thanks guys.

Do most people re-register their aircraft onto canadian registrations or keep them on N registrations ?

cheers

Arc

Pilot DAR
30th Apr 2007, 01:58
Arc, could you refine the meaning of your question?

There are numerous Canadian resitered aircraft. N registered aircraft in Canada are usually here as guests. Canada Customs have regulations with respect to N aircraft being owned by Canadians and in Canada for lengthy periods, though I do not know in detail what they are...

Having N registered aircraft outside the US also brings upon the need for US maintenance and regulatory compliance, including an FAA pilot's license. It's just so much easier to keep everything C-

Canada's general aviation regulatory structure is very similar to that of the FAA, and every bit as friendly and accomodating. There's nothing to be gained in retaining an N registration if the plane is in Canada to stay.

Cheers, Pilot DAR

Arclite01
1st May 2007, 07:39
Hi again and thanks for the responses they are really useful.

It was just that in UK there is a lot of talk about maintaining aircraft from the US on an N reg as opposed to shifting onto a G reg because the maintenance regimes etc is perceived as more relaxed (whether true or not)

On that basis I wondered if the same was true in Canada. I guess if I do get an airplane in from the US I'll probably re-register onto a Canadian reg then.

cheers

Arc