PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL question??

geraldn
9th Apr 2007, 13:21
I currently hold a JAA ATPL and my SEP has since expired, so i am hoping of going to the states and getting an FAA PPL since i am in no way able to keep my SEP rating(JAA) current and it gets expensive to keep on renewing it each year.
Is it possible for me to simply go over to the states and sit for the ground and flight exam or will i have to do the whole course?

P.S. i already hold an airmans certificate however it is based on my JAA PPL licence.

Cheers.

geraldn
12th Apr 2007, 09:55
Thank you socal,
i guess i still need to go through the sevis process?

S-Works
12th Apr 2007, 15:04
I am lost here, you hold a JAA ATPL? If you hold a JAA ATPL then you just need to renew the SEP rating on it which subject to the standard 12hrs in 2 years and a flight with an Instructor. Where is all the extra cost coming from, as an ATPL you already have a Class 1 so no extra cost there, you intend to fly SEP (otherwise why renew?) so no cost there, BFR under FAA will cost you an hour, 2 year flight with an Instructor will cost you an hour. No extra fees to pay. Your ATPL I assume will be renewed which covers the SEP or are you giving it up?

If you have a restriucted FAA licence already it is based on your CAA reference number. As long as your licence has the same reference number now as it did when you originally did your PPL then all you need to do us a BFR. If you have a new licence number (unusual put possible) then you will just need to apply for a revalidation with the CAA. Your CAA reference number stays constant you just add rating to it, PPL, CPL, ATPL, etc.

geraldn
13th Apr 2007, 11:23
Bose-x my FAA airmans certificate is based on my Malta (JAR) PPL licence which i had to surrender once i was issued my UK (JAR) ATPL,therefore ''invalidating'' my FAA airmans certificate,

My JAA SEP rating has now expired ,so i now would have to fly a couple of hours with an instructor and renew my SEP Rating with an examiner, this is going to cost me around LM 600 ,also as u said i would have to every 2 years fly at least 12 hours,etc and have a training flight.

As SoCal assumed i would therefore like to have an unrestricted FAA ppl and all i will have to do henceforth is a BFR irrelevant of how many hours i fly(correct me if im wrong).

rmac
18th Apr 2007, 16:46
If you intend to fly less than 12 hours every two years, don't you think it might be safer to fly with an instructor on every flight :eek:

If you did that you wouldn't need to worry about licence currency in any case.

geraldn
18th Apr 2007, 17:48
Would flying 12 -13 hrs every 2 years make me a more competent pilot than someone who flies 11 hrs every 2 years? would a JAA PPL holder be a more competent pilot than an FAA PPL holder?

i fly at least 800hrs a year albeit as MPA operation.

Dont worry i take currency and safety quite seriously, i would have no hesitation going up with an instructor on a C-152 if i havent flown it in a while.

my reasoning is that its more financially viable to fly with an FAA PPL , since im not sure sure how many hrs i get time to fly leisurely due to my commercial flying. Either way one would still have to make a Biannual flight
review with an instructor if one holds an FAA PPL.

rmac
22nd Apr 2007, 12:57
OK mate, you obviously do take currency seriously, and for the record, I dont think either variant of the twelve hours is particularly safe for more than a quick amble in the local pattern.

I am CAA converted to FAA, live outside UK, and for convenience in all areas (including maintenance of my aircraft) its FAA all the way, as far as I am concerned. I have a friend who is an FAA instructor, and he just flys down on Ryanair for the weekend and we do the bi-annual and an instrument proficiency check for good measure.

Good luck

rmac;)

englishal
23rd Apr 2007, 13:04
So yes, you can just take the ground written test and the PTS and remove your based upon restriction.
Bear in mind there may be a few more requirements, like 3 hrs with an FAA CFI within the last 60 days prior to test etc....

But anyway, I agree the FAA is easier to keep. In JAR land, although experienced with lots of hours in the last 12 months of the 2 year period last time I nearly lost my SEP rating because I didn't have the required 1 hour with instructor. I got it with 2 days to spare due to rubbish weather. Had it been my FAA ticket, no big deal, when the weather improved I'd have done the BFR and been legal again. In JAR land you need to pass the test, which is crap for various reason......