PDA

View Full Version : Low flying (Again)

bigflyingrob
8th Apr 2007, 19:28
Yet another big thanks to the !!!!! in the Robinson who decided to do another low pass across the active runway at London Colney today. It looked like the same one that did it a few weeks back. Which part of Private and 500 foot rule and RADIO is unclear?
If I had not been refueling at the time I would have folowed him to his home base and rammed his collective up his !!!!s
The next time this happens, whoever you are I am going to the CAA guys so if you do who know who it is please tell them.
Rob

AlanM
8th Apr 2007, 19:43
Top rant.

Amount gained....... ****-ALL!:D

Bravo73
8th Apr 2007, 20:27
Rob,

Have you been in touch with the local schools who operate R22s? My initial thoughts are that there are heli schools at both Elstree and Panshanger.

Maybe a quiet word and a reminder about your operations might get better results than ranting on here or trying to shop someone to the CAA...

eharding
8th Apr 2007, 20:48
...or why not try just round the corner on the RotorHeads forum?

I'd miss out the bit about the collective though.....

scooter boy
8th Apr 2007, 21:20
Bob, do you have a lot of microlights at London Colney?, only I think that the helo pilot may have a thread in the rotorheads forum entitled microlights.

I may be wrong - but it may be worth you two talking if you are posting about eachother.

SB

bigflyingrob
8th Apr 2007, 22:11
Nope it ain't us as we are at 260 feet above sea level. At 2000 feet we have no worries at all. Its the 200 feet that's the problem!
So far we have had 1 Robinson beat us up 3 times in 1 hour. each time below 50 feet.
1 Left in the middle of the runway for an hour when he went for a visit to the mosquito museum as "He knew it was too windy for us to fly!"
2 low passes across the end of the runway bellow 200 feet and finally 2 killed when a Robinson took them from behind.
Do I see a pattern here? If people want to visit us then fine. PPR or radio on 129.825. We had 2 use us as a landing ground last year for a visit and their behavior was all we could have asked. It's the few that spoil it for the rest. We have a website so why not use it before visiting. There is one complainer near the museum and if he's happy we are all happy. We enjoy flying and you guys enjoy flying. So to quote Hill street Blues........"Let's be careful out there!"

Bravo73
8th Apr 2007, 23:08
and finally 2 killed when a Robinson took them from behind.

Huh? I don't mean to be rude, Rob, but is this an attempt at humour? :confused: Are you referring to the mid-air from a couple of years ago?

Anyway, have you been in touch with the local schools or not? There aren't that many yellow R22s around...

TheGorrilla
9th Apr 2007, 01:23
Hey hey!!! Here we go again!!!

bigflyingrob
9th Apr 2007, 06:30
No Not trying to be funny in any way. Just trying to stop people dying. Just been to a funeral of a friend who was killed in an accident and thought maybe trying to stop stop it happening again might be a good idea. Some of our guys fly powered parachutes and if one on those goes through the wake vortex of a Helo at 100 feet he ain't ging to get that wing inflated again before he is a hole in the ground.
I've been on the net to try and find the 2 helicopter schools but although I found a couple of fixed wing schools I didn't find them. If anyone can pass their details on I will write to them and politely ask them to put a note on their notice board.
If there was an instuctor on board there is no excuse. If not maybe a little refresher on 500 foot rule, private, wake vortex and lookout might be in order. The snag with the Robinson is the reg letters are bloody small so it's tricky to trace the pilot.

Bravo73
9th Apr 2007, 07:59
Rob,

I suggest that you have another look at the accident report concerning that mid-air:

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/G-LIDS_and_G-MTJP_4-05.pdf

Figure 1 and Figure 2 on pg 108 will show you that the R22 DID NOT 'take them from behind'. The unfortunate collision was nearly head-on.

And, with regards to finding out about your local heli schools, to be honest it doesn't sound like you have tried very hard. A quick phone call to both Elstree and Panshanger would reveal that Cabair operate out of Elstree and East Herts Flying school operate out of Panshanger. I would suggest that a quick visit to the CFI at both might produce better results than a notice on a notice board that might well be ignored by the majority.

If you really wanted to, you could also trawl through the G-INFO database and find any R22 and their associated photos. Any painted yellow would at least help you to narrow down your enquiries! This might take up, oooh, 30 minutes of your life. :hmm:

But the identity of your mystery R22 might well be even closer to home. Have a read of this recent Rotorheads thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236205). Although the aircraft isn't local to you, the pilot of that aircraft would certainly fit the profile of someone who might show up unannounced.

I hope that this all helps you. And, please, don't paint us all with the same brush.

Chukkablade
9th Apr 2007, 09:54
Bloody well said Bravo 73.

If your going to quote a fatal accident, then at least get it right, out of common respect if nothing else:D

As for tracing this machine, it sounds like there has been more ranting than tracing going on.

Sorry if that sounds harsh Rob, but it IS the way it reads.

goflying2007
10th Apr 2007, 11:06
I was flying out of Elstree in a fixed wing Saturday afternoon to be granted by someone on the radio with 'I assume your on this frequency, would the helicopter that just flew over please F%$! Off', I assume this was you Rob?

drambuster
10th Apr 2007, 20:26
chukkablade and goflying2007 ..... please note that the contraction of "you are" is "you're" not "your". Do try and get it right because it is so IRRITATING ! pilots are supposed to set an example ...... :bored:

Chukkablade
10th Apr 2007, 23:14
Ah, yes, you're totally correct Drambuster. Deeply annoying trait. Something I'm rather sure you know a lot about I'd guess.

For me, pet hate (I'm just not the type to progress to IRRITATING in big capitals) must be those who either forget, or can't be bothered, to use a capital letter when they use your name or start a new sentance. Oh..... actually:oh:

Pilot DAR
11th Apr 2007, 00:13
Hello Everyone,

Amusing text here, though perhaps our professionalism is slipping.... How about the old adage: "Fix the problem, not the blame..."

Just a thought..

Cheers, Pilot DAR

J.A.F.O.
11th Apr 2007, 00:45
I was flying out of Elstree in a fixed wing Saturday afternoon to be granted by someone on the radio with 'I assume your on this frequency, would the helicopter that just flew over please F%$! Off', I assume this was you Rob?

Hope nobody reports that to the authorities.