PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor Rating

PPL152
8th Apr 2007, 15:54
I would like to ask which is the best school for obtaining the flight instructor course?

Many thanks

BlueRobin
8th Apr 2007, 16:04
When do you envisage starting your FI course? Do you want a UK school?

PPL152
8th Apr 2007, 17:58
Well anywhere will do as long as it is in Europe, and offers good quality training. I am 19, got a PPL and still have to book ATPL, then CPL, then FI. So I won't do the FI course before another year.

TheOddOne
8th Apr 2007, 18:23
I'm starting the FI course at The Pilot Centre at Denham (EGLD) next week. I did the CRI course there last year, it was an excellent introduction, I'm looking forward to doing the full course with the same instructor.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

crazy gal
8th Apr 2007, 18:26
Bonus Aviation at Cranfield is another school def worth checking out.

Really friendly and good school!!!

Crazy

IRRenewal
8th Apr 2007, 18:56
Just a note.

You will get a lot of people saying 'go here or there, I did my rating there and they are the best instructors ever.'

Unfortunately, none of these people have been to all FTOs and can really compare the instruction they have received to whatever is on offer elsewhere. Nor are most of them qualified to judge the level of instruction on offer at all.

It is part of human nature to try to convince others to do as you did, because if they follow your advice that justifies your own decision. That's why you always get people driving Skoda telling you to do the same.

Do your own research of the schools that suit you location wise. Go and visit them, check if anything is written on these pages about them. Remember, people are much more likely to complain on the internet than praise. However, the old saying about smoke and fire does apply.

Talk to the people involved. Do they make you feel welcome, can you talk to current students, do they want money up front?

Then, make your own decision.

I have nothing against (or for) any particular FTO mentioned in this thread. Just wanted to point out the replies are generally useless, since the respondents cannot offer you 'whole market advice' and don't know your specific circumstances.

Good luck where ever you decide to go.

PPL152
8th Apr 2007, 22:03
Thanks for the responses!

Bonus Aviation looks quite professional indeed.

I am still with a PPL and am on the verge of booking an ATPL course and studying that in Summer and while at Uni hopefully.

Thanks everyone!

gcolyer
8th Apr 2007, 22:20
Why not do your FI before ATPL??

Fair enough you can't earn money from it until you get your commercial, but you will get free hours from it. The other down side is you will only have a restricted FI ticket.

BlueRobin
8th Apr 2007, 22:26
Because he still needs the theory.

Consider OnTrack at Wellesbourne (ex-CFS/Oxford guys, Al's a really nice bloke). Also The Flight Centre (HGFC) at Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green where Chris Caine has 4000 hours on teaching FIC alone.

I should say Mr Caine for he will be whipping my butt into gear this time next month for the CPL. :ooh:

Delta Wun-Wun
9th Apr 2007, 18:27
Did my CPL and FI with Chris Caine. A natural at teaching and very very knowledgable. Don`t know much about On-track, but I know Chris works closely with them on the Instructor seminars.
You won`t go far wrong with either.:ok:

PPL152
9th Apr 2007, 20:27
Wolverhampton looks good too. I might be interested in doing the CPL there too then! A lot of research to be made!

rusponge
20th Apr 2007, 03:09
bonus at CFD..........HELLO ROB!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha

bunnywabbit
22nd Apr 2007, 10:01
I am using On Track to renew after 8 years break from instructing. They are excellent and very busy. It can all be done inhouse ie the training and your test (examiners on staff).Free tea/coffee cakes etc if someone nips out and buys them. No body stands on ceremony, no gold bars and the planes are just outside. A big plus point is they only do proffesional training, no Joe Bloggs walking in with 6 kids asking a million daft questions. After you have the rating Joe Bloggs becomes your best friend because he is the one that keeps you flying in Jan/Feb with all the Chrismas trial lessons.

I would definately speak the Guys at OnTrack and book an appointment. They will make sure someone is there to see and spend some time with and go through everything.

I do not work for OnTrack, but I will be stealing all ideas on customers service etc and trying impliment them where I will be working.

glush
22nd Apr 2007, 20:51
I've just completed my FI course at Bonus.... Good instruction, good notes and briefing guides, and an excellent basis for going off into the world as an FI(R)! Rob Spencer is the man you need to talk to...

(PS I don't work for Bonus, either now or before!! I'm a paying customer).

cessna310
10th May 2007, 19:18
Hi,
I am finding flying school to do FI rating in Yorkshire or NE of England area. Is there any except Leeds airport?

regards,
cessna310.

FormationFlyer
11th May 2007, 00:10
gcolyer Fair enough you can't earn money from it until you get your commercial, but you will get free hours from it.
:mad:
If you want to hours build. er...um..go away.. :) and do it off of your OWN back and MONEY. Students and teaching are NOT 'free' hours. In fact the concept is quite insulting I think.

Students on the other hand require your total respect and dedication. Every - and I mean EVERY decision you make should be based on their requirements and needs - and NEVER and i really do mean NEVER on what you can get in your logbook.
The reason instructional quality in the UK is so poor is because too many instructors are using instructing as a means to an end....instead of instructing because of a deep rooted desire to teach.

S-Works
11th May 2007, 10:25
If you want to hours build. er...um..go away.. and do it off of your OWN back and MONEY. Students and teaching are NOT 'free' hours. In fact the concept is quite insulting I think.

Students on the other hand require your total respect and dedication. Every - and I mean EVERY decision you make should be based on their requirements and needs - and NEVER and i really do mean NEVER on what you can get in your logbook.
The reason instructional quality in the UK is so poor is because too many instructors are using instructing as a means to an end....instead of instructing because of a deep rooted desire to teach.

I dooooon't belieeeeeve it!! Finally!!!

First class post, at last someone who realises the true role of the Instructor.

There may be some hope yet.

badboy raggamuffin
11th May 2007, 12:26
Your point is fair enough, an instructor should always give the best for their students, not waste their time while they racks up hours.

However, to say that " if you want to hours build then go away" is a bit harsh I think. Plenty of people go into instructing with primary view to gaining hours/ experience and moving on to better things however this by no means means that they couldnt give a toss about the instruction itself. My PPl instructor was an example of such a person, he had his sights set on flying a big jet, however I could not fault his attitude to his instructing.
I personally am thinking of getting an instructor rating, primarily with an aim to gaining hours and experience but also with a view to having some fun and making a good contribution to which ever flight school I might work for and aiding others to get into aviation along the way.

It is true that some are as formation flyer describes, however not the majoirty I think.
Besides, if the only people who took up instructing were "career instructors"then I reckon the majority of flight schools the world over would be severely short staffed.