PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the Air Force

Batrakio
8th Apr 2007, 06:28
I'm still young but I already have chosen what I will do with my life.
As a fanatic for aviation, I decided I want to join the Canadian Air Force as a fighter pilot.
I don't know where to start! Once I finish High School, where do I go, what do I attend!
I couldn't find detailed info. on the Internet.
Do you know what I should do?

tbaylx
8th Apr 2007, 08:09
The CF have a great website, you should have no problems finding the info there. Email the recruitment guys [email protected] and they will get back to you within 24 hours with detailed answers to your questions. Either that or go into your local forces recruitment center that you can find here...
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/contactus/locateus_en.aspx?bhcp=1

Hope that helps

Batrakio
8th Apr 2007, 08:30
I will probably email them but there is no hurry.
Has anyone here joined The Canadian Air Force as a pilot? What did you go through to get there?

saudipc-9
9th Apr 2007, 22:10
Batrakio,
What would you like to know? I am currently a QFI at Moose Jaw and 2CFFTS flying the Harvard II.
I would say to you one thing and that is get a degree because you will need one. Either that or try to get into the Royal Military College as the time spent there in pensionable. Not something you might think of right now but take it from me start now and you will be well ahead of the game later on.

Cheers

Batrakio
10th Apr 2007, 19:35
As I said I'm a fanatic for aviation.
Yes, but what kind of university degree?

saudipc-9
11th Apr 2007, 03:07
Any kind of degree will do but I would suggest a science, engineering or math degree. These degrees will open up a number of different jobs for you in the future.

Batrakio
18th Apr 2007, 04:54
I'm very good at math so that should help.
I would take like Aerodynamic Engineering, cause it's in the area of aviation, besides all I want then is a degree.
Of course to be a pilot, you must have hours. Let's say, to be a fighter pilot what kind of simple airplane would you recommend me to get the "hours".
How do they choose what airplane you will fly once you get the Wings?

LongWayHome
18th Apr 2007, 19:34
Dear Batrakio,

"Has anyone here joined The Canadian Air Force as a pilot? What did you go through to get there?"

Short answer to your first question ... yes. To answer your second question requires more than a "little" introspection, but I'm gonna try...

I don't ever recall a time that I didn't want to fly. By that I mean, fly for a purpose (in my situation, serve my country as an aviator). No romance, no BS, no cliches, just felt in my heart it was what I was meant to do. (I assure you the military has other plans…!!)

I wasn’t by any stretch, the brightest kid in my class, however I set goals for myself, and worked my "A** off" to achieve them.

Applied for a pilot slot and was accepted straight out of high school. Jumped a "ton" of hurdles during training and graduated. (Once upon a time in Canada you could do this.) With respect to University, I have two undergraduate, and one masters degree, which I completed after enrollment.
In my mind I’m not a better person, for all this school’n, just more “rounded”.

With all sincerity, there truly is alot more to being a Commissioned Officer and pilot than just flying...

Some make a career in the service, others will pursue parallel paths in civilian aviation, while others leave aviation (full-time) or forever, in pursuit of other personal ambitions.

I have friends that are now Generals, (they don't fly as much as they once did, but are superb in their current role.) Friends that are ex-service but still make their living in aviation with civilian operators, (large and small carriers), and Friends that left flying completly to pursue other professional opportunities (Medicine, Law, Entertainment, etc..).

If someone had told me twenty + years ago that I wouldn’t still be flying a fighter jet full-time today, but pursuing another dream, I would've laughed.

PM anytime, and I'll do my best to help direct you. You will read lot’s of very sound advice on this site.

May Your Dreams Come True

Regards

Bill

Capt_SlackBladder
1st May 2007, 16:23
Does anyone know if it's possible to join the Canadian Air Force if you're not a Canadian? I know that there are a few Canadians in the British armed forces as well as many from other nationalities. I'm from the UK, Scotland to be more precise. I am, at 25 too old to join the British Royal Air Force and am considering the British Army but the amount of actual flying time that an Army officer pilot gets is not very high before he/she is moved onto other things.

Would I need to become a Canadian citizen first and then apply? I have looked at the criteria required for citizenship and I don't think I'm too far off meeting the criteria. I have an engineering degree and am currently working as an engineer (which helps pay for flying training). Even if I followed the civilian flying route I think that Canada would be a great place to work anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

prang one
1st May 2007, 18:15
slack bladder,
A change has occured in the Canadian Mil were in the past for all ranks you had to be a canadian citizen. Now you can join as a landed immigrant BUT as far as I know this only applies to NCO and down :ugh: Which prevents you straping on any CAF aircraft.
On the plus side once a landed immigrant its just a process of waiting for 2 + years to become a citizen (plus hand over some more cash and an exam:{ )
As an engineer and young you will have little difficulty in becoming a landed immigrant. So come on over the pond . I have been flying over here for 7 years and loving it.:ok:
As a side note the age of 23 for the RAF does not apply to RCAF (i beleave its 37!!!!) BUT I for one would not want to be starting the long road to fast jets again at 37. if my brain did not explode my liver would;)

Auroradude
3rd May 2007, 02:31
Guess Again!
There is no age restriction for new Pilot recruits in the RCAF (now referred to as the CF - Canadian Forces). We had a guy go through Pilot training a few years ago at the ripe old age of 49.

RomeoMikeAlpha
3rd May 2007, 04:18
49...wow. Did he have extensive aviation experience?

From your name I take it you're on the P3.

Capt_SlackBladder
3rd May 2007, 12:10
Thanks for the reply. I've been seriously thinking about moving sometime in the next couple of years. If I could find some good work I'd be happy to live and work for the 2 years before applying for citizenship. I'd considered funding my own flying training in Canada but I'd prefer to receive military training as I think it would be to a hire standard. Also the flying would be a lot more interesting.