PDA

View Full Version : GPS 196 or 96C

Rabbs
7th Apr 2007, 19:25
Hi all, Im looking to buy a GPS for VFR flying, I already have a Geko GPS and Ipaq, and a running (Garmin 301) GPS which I use, but want one with a moving map & not so many wires.... Neither of my current GPS fit this bill.

Which is the best buy - the B/W 196 or the colour 96C - they are both similar price, has anyone used both - any pros/cons. I also have a GPS built into my car so I just will use it for flying - anyone got any advice?

BlueRobin
8th Apr 2007, 10:30
Many would slate the B&W 196 for not having enough definition. To an extent this is true but many I feel do not fly around with the backlight turned on. With any colour unit the backlight is always on. The 196 also has a larger screen.

An Artificial Member
8th Apr 2007, 11:45
I sold my 196 last year to buy the colour 96c, I have since regreted that move as the larger clearer screen on the 196 far out weighs the colour of the 96c's miniscule screen. You win some and lose some !

AM

Rabbs
9th Apr 2007, 07:58
Thanks AM & Blue - that was my thinking - I'd like a colour screen, but I think I'll sacrifice that for the features and screen size on the 196 until I can afford the extra £400 for the 296 :rolleyes:

BlueRobin
9th Apr 2007, 09:08
If you need to update the unit or downloads tracks, one thing to wary off is the RS232 serial port issue. The 196 is getting on a bit (5+ years old design) only supports the old-style 9-pin serial conenctor to your PC, which as I understand is longer in the current global PC spec so you'll start to see them disappear. Apparently having asked on another forum this week (thanks Ray P) a USB-RS232 converter will work. The 96C is USB.