PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Air Race info

FlyingForFun
7th Apr 2007, 17:23
Just looking for some info from those who have either been spectators at, or involved in, the Red Bull Air Race.

Mrs FFF has expressed an interest in going to watch a race, possibly combining it with a holiday. So far, we've found the calendar on the race web site, but absolutely no info about how to get tickets (prices, availability, timescales, etc).

Any info would be appreciated, since it would help us plan our hols. Possibly thinking about the San Diego race on September 22nd, though that's not set in stone.

Thanks!

FFF
------------------

Comanche250
7th Apr 2007, 18:33
Im not sure about this year but last year I think Longleat was the only ticketed event in the calendar, the rest were just a case of turning up.

C250

Callidus
7th Apr 2007, 20:07
Hi there FFF,

As Longleat is not mentioned this year I'm presuming they are having difficulty confirming the venue, if Longleat at all.

In previous years the UK Redbull air race web site has only offered tickets to the UK Redbull air race and not foreign ones. If you could indicate which country you're thinking of visiting the air race, maybe someone could find the corresponding foreign Redbull air race web site.

Regards

PPRuNe Radar
7th Apr 2007, 21:55
The UK one is rumoured to be in London this year ... guess we'll find out soon !!!

BlueRobin
8th Apr 2007, 12:17
FFF, they have a team of PR people behind the website who has responded to me in the past. Send them an email.

Dark Star
8th Apr 2007, 12:48
Budapest last year was excellent. It was a national holiday as well so accomodation may be a problem, we took a tent and found a decent campsite within a taxi ride of the centre. For the race we just turned up and found a spot on the Danube between Parliament and the Chain Bridge (The Bridge was closed as the start/finish goes under it!). No tickets and even though the crowd was huge (over a million I am told) no problem getting a decent view. Commentary/presentation (big screens) was good and in English as well as Hungarian.

WALSue
8th Apr 2007, 19:16
Budapest was great last year :)
(shame about the storms afterwards)

Some of the air races at held during bank holidays/festivals.
I'm off to the Barcelona race this year which is late June during one of their national holidays. (St Johns day I think)
The Budapest race took place during St Stephens Day

The format has changed this year, to become a knock out competition.

Anyone know if Aero GP will be on this year ?(after the accident last year)

FlyingForFun
9th Apr 2007, 12:28
Thanks for the input. If they are mostly un-ticketed, that's probably good news.

I think San Diego is a new venue, so no one would have prior experience of whether there, too, is un-ticketed.... so I've sent an e-mail off to them to find out from the horses mouth.

FFF
-------------

'Chuffer' Dandridge
9th Apr 2007, 18:47
Last week's Ryanair in-flight magazine stated this year's UK venue as Longleat.

Well if you will fly cheap, you'll get cheap journalism in the mag too.......

It's not at Longleat:E

sparksfly01
10th Apr 2007, 10:53
i see the 2006 race in barcelona and (disapointing) at longleat. barcelona was great, it just happened to be on the same weekend that i booked for me and my partner to visit barcelona. (honest dear didnt know it was on. YEAH RIGHT). but she really enjoyed the race too, so much she even come to the longleat wash out. we still had a good day managed to get in the private tent up on the hill, which was good free food and red bull all day. Lets hope this year is good as last year and hope to find out soon where it is to be held in the uk, IF it is.

sparksfly01
21st Apr 2007, 13:19
does anyone know where abouts the red bull air race is going to be held in the uk?

Cusco
21st Apr 2007, 15:27
AFAIK there is no UK Red Bull air race this year.

Good job too considering the wasted day I had a Longleat last year.

It needs to be held at venues where the Wx is guaranteed.

And its better on telly .

Safe flying

Cusco.;) ;)

'Chuffer' Dandridge
21st Apr 2007, 19:21
AFAIK there is no UK Red Bull air race this year.

Wrong. There will be a Red Bull Air Race in the UK this year, just wait and the location will be released soon...:ok: It's on 28/29 July 2007

WALSue
21st Apr 2007, 21:24
After the weather problems at Longleat last year, perhaps a return to Ireland?? (although, I admit, they not likey to get decent weather there either!)
Their website still only says its going to take place somewhere in Europe - is it definetly going to be in the UK?

Anyone know if Channel 4 will be showing the races again this season?
Two races in and Ive still not seen it on telly anywhere

Canuck Spin
23rd Apr 2007, 12:42
Yeah I'm confused by that WALSue as an exec at channel 4 was harping on about broadening the horizons of their programming and putting it on peak time on a Saturday early evening rather than silly hours of the day to highlight more varied sporting pursuits!

They may be saving up a couple of races and start broadcasting them a bit further into the season; think they did that two years back - not sure though!

javelin
23rd Apr 2007, 20:41
The preparatory work is already taking place for a London venue in 2 years time - keep watching :ok:

WALSue
24th Apr 2007, 06:30
I still think along liverpool bay would make an ideal venue but I am slightly biased there :)

MichaelJP59
24th Apr 2007, 10:38
Although Longleat had major problems, it made for a spectacular event, diving in and out of the trees - far more exciting than the flat water-based rounds.

Mind you, I never even thought about going in person having looked at the access arrangements on an OS map!

WALSue
24th Apr 2007, 11:00
They do seem to favour water based venues so it is nice when they try to vary it.
I might try and get to Interlaken this year which should be interesting

PH-UKU
24th Apr 2007, 12:21
Loch Lomond in Scotland would be a stunning setting !! And pretty close to 2.5m - 3m potential spectators

:ok:

bencoulthard
24th Apr 2007, 22:02
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242006

Happy memories for those of us who went to Longleat last year, and even happier memories for those of us who didn't get in, and therefore didn't have to queue to get out.

robin
24th Apr 2007, 22:39
I think Plymouth Hoe would be ideal - natural arena for spectators and safe area for the race itself.

Cusco
24th Apr 2007, 23:48
Read my lips:

No UK Red Bull this year...............

Cusco.;) ;)

WALSue
25th Apr 2007, 14:28
Cusco, I'm using that as an excuse to book a couple of trips abroad

Damn, just read that the Barcelona race is cancelled

sucksqueezeBANGstop
27th Apr 2007, 23:30
I went in 2005, perfect conditions but still an absolute traffic nightmare! And not being VERY tall, you can't see much over all the heads.

Pilots don't usually like traffic jams, hence being in the air... so don't put yourself through it! Unless they pick a location you can fly in to!

Watch it on telly.

Dark Star
30th Apr 2007, 14:59
Budapest last year was brilliant. We camped a few miles away (www.campingniche.hu (http://www.campingniche.hu)) in a very friendly site in a converted old Budapest tram station, we just turned up, no booking. Public transport into the centre was cheap and efficient. Whilst the crowd was huge, over 1 million I believe, we had no problem finding a good position near the Chain Bridge (star/finish is under the bridge) no need to be tall either. The event is free, no tickets needed, and was part of a national celebration. Sound systems, big screens and commentary were very good and in english as well as hungarian. Sadly the day ended with a freak storm around 9pm which came out of nowhere and several people were killed/injured by falling trees etc. For our part we just got a bit damp and would not be put off going again. The storm put the trams out of action so we ended up walking back to the campsite which took a while but there were plenty of places to stop for refreshment along the way. Budapest and Hungary are worth a visit in their own right and very good value as they are not yet in the eurozone. Cash machines are plentiful and work as normal, internet cafes are popular. I shall stop now as this is getting like a travel guide!.

F900EX
30th Apr 2007, 15:23
Possibly one of the best venues for such an event will be the one coming up in 10 days time at Monument, Arizona. It will be held at a Navajo Indian reserve in some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable.
I believe there are only 5000 spectator tickets available.

Anyone going ?

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-arizona/MonumentValleyAZ-500.jpg

'Chuffer' Dandridge
2nd May 2007, 09:31
Read my lips:

Cusco.

....wait..........:E

Comanche250
2nd May 2007, 10:28
Try London! ;)

Morgo
2nd May 2007, 10:58
from the redbull website:

London, UK has been confirmed as the sixth stop on the 2007 Red Bull Air Race World Series calendar. The world's best pilots will race over the River Thames on 28 and 29 July against the backdrop of the city's famous skyline.

Taking place for the first time in London, the race course will be built on the Thames towards the east of the city, between the skyscrapers of Canary Wharf and the Greenwich Peninsula, home to The O2 (formerly known as the Millennium Dome).

Tickets for the qualifying sessions on Saturday 28 July and race day on Sunday 29 July can be purchased via this website from 17 May.

Designated viewing areas located on the banks of the Thames will allow spectators to enjoy the action as the pilots race at high speeds through the 'air gates' just metres above the water.

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone said: "'The London Red Bull Air Race is another exciting addition to the capital's events calendar and will have the wonderful backdrop of the river Thames and the London skyline."

Nige321
2nd May 2007, 12:11
Read my lips:

Cusco.

Cusco

Where are you...:}

Tim Dawson
2nd May 2007, 13:21
Does anyone who's been to one of these events have any advice as to whether it's better to go on qualifying day or race day?

Cusco
2nd May 2007, 14:27
Which only goes to confirm that the information / advice you get on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it............

Safe flying

Cusco:rolleyes:

WALSue
2nd May 2007, 19:59
Tim, depending on which venue I'd say both if you can. Obviously the qualifing rounds are quieter and if the race is called off the following day then those times stand as the actual results.
If your going to London race the tickets for qualifiers are a tenner cheaper too!

Dop
3rd May 2007, 10:05
There was a short piece about it on the BBC's London local news programme last night, just before 7 PM.

Fingers crossed for good weather.

MichaelJP59
3rd May 2007, 12:42
Presumably there'll be loads of places to watch this even without a ticket - several thousand Canary Wharf offices and all the river view flats for example!

chevvron
3rd May 2007, 13:07
Personally I'd prefer a Thames Clipper; they stop at Canary Wharf and Masthead Terrace.

Tonkatoy
3rd May 2007, 13:18
so will they be closing City Airport that weekend? The venue is a bit close to the departure path of Runway 28...

MichaelJP59
3rd May 2007, 14:47
Maybe they'll be using the airport as a base for the racers?

Ken seems to be in favour and like him or loathe him he does seem to get his way.

PPRuNe Radar
4th May 2007, 00:45
The UK one is rumoured to be in London this year

Did I really say that on April 7th ? :E :E Unfortunately I was sworn to commercial secrecy but knew it to be true .... bugger.

so will they be closing City Airport that weekend? The venue is a bit close to the departure path of Runway 28...

It's closed for a good portion of the weekend anyway ... see the UK AIP :ok:

Read my lips:
Cusco.

So .... George Bush has finally managed to master a keyboard ??? :D :p :p :p

WALSue
11th May 2007, 12:58
they will be showing the races on channel 4 starting this saturday at 16.00

Over_Shoot
12th May 2007, 12:39
London has also been confirmed as the other European venue!

Lets hope for good weather

OS