PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye PPL and Class 2 Medical

Captainkarl
7th Apr 2007, 08:13
Bad news guys, its about time you knew so I can ask many questions! lol

Recently diagnosed with type 1 (Insulin Dependant Diabetes) as you know thats any Professional Career and my PPL course gone :-( (That was the heartbreaking part for me:{ :sad: ) I am going for the NPPL so I will have something. However I was wondering are there any countries in the ENTIRE world excluding the CAA & FAA that may possibly issue a person with a medical to fly professionally on the proviso they have all the relevant info/proof that its well managed etc etc? Or even a class 2 so I can get my class 2 medical cert back to have my PPL.

Thankyou
Guys

Whirlygig
7th Apr 2007, 08:26
I am really sorry to hear that. You might want to ask the question on the medical forum?

Take care,

Cheers

Whirls

QDMQDMQDM
7th Apr 2007, 08:58
Very sorry to hear this. I don't think you will manage to get any kind of professional medical anywhere in the world and I don't think a PPL Class 2 is on the cards either.

QDM

tiggermoth
10th Apr 2007, 16:25
Bad luck young man, sorry to hear it. On the plus side though, you'll be saving a fortune and have other opportunities coming your way I'm sure. Hapiness is but a smile away. :)

BeechNut
10th Apr 2007, 21:28
Sorry to hear the very bad news. As far as a professional career goes, under certain circumstances, you are actually better off than as a PPL. Since a PPL usually flies single-pilot, there's no opportunity for recovery in case of incapacitation. The Canadian regs do offer a way out for those already holding a class 1 medical, with a license endorsement "with or as co-pilot only".

Here's the link for Canada's guidelines for diabetes mellitus:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Cam/TP13312-2/diabetes/menu.htm

Beech

DX Wombat
10th Apr 2007, 23:07
That is really sad Karl but don't give up hope too easily, there is a lot of research being done into newer, and hopefully better, ways of controlling diabetes eg stem cell research. You never know, it may yet come in time for you to be able to take advantage of it. :ok:

tangovictor
11th Apr 2007, 01:02
bad luck, a similar thing happened to me, the CAA not liking the medication I take for severe back pain, the upside is, I saved an absolute fortune, as I was learning to fly a helicopter, after the depression of not being able to do as you once wished, you soon get over it, the nppl is a life saver, and learning to fly fixed wing microlights, saves so much money.
from thinking i'd probably rent a heli once a month, Im now thinking of buying a brand new fixed wing microlight, that I can fly whenever I wish, VFR only
and all over Europe should I so desire.
So, don't be down about it. just adjust your sights, good luck
tv