PDA

View Full Version : training in ontario.

moetorious
6th Apr 2007, 15:12
Hi guys, a newbie here wants your advice, so here it goes. Im planning to go to ontario in april and start my training first of may (at markham buttonville airport), then train until auguest or get my PPL liscence by august or septermber, then I have to head back to nova scotia to go back to school (dalhousie university), then my plans there is to rent plane just to practice and get my hours, then go back to ontario next summer to finish rest of my training.

do you guys think thats a good idea to do? im currently 19 turning 20 24th of this month. and how long does it take to get ur PPL if your training full time.

thnx
-Moe

Pilot DAR
7th Apr 2007, 23:44
Hi Moe,

Welcome to Canadian aviation, it's great!

Buttonville has a very good flight training environment. Buttonville is one of Canada's busiest airports, and is controlled. This means lots of radio work, which is good, but waiting in line sometimes, while the clock ticks, not so good. Yes, you log the waiting time as flying time, 'cause the engine is running, but you're on the ground.

Brampton Flying Club, which is just northwest of Toronto is also very good. Brampton's advantage is that they own their own airport. They also have a good selection of aircraft, including an amphibian.

There are a number of other flying schools which are also very good, farther away from Toronto. The one major advantage of many of these is that being smaller, they could perhaps more cater to your specific needs and schedule. The "big" flying schools are often very busy, and you can find yourself waiting for aircraft and instructors to be available.

On the other hand, if you're in a busy environment, and waiting to fly, you get to watch all of the other students, and learn from watching their successes and failures, and asking about them. That very valuable learning is completely free to you - as much as you can absorb!

If you are trying to complete training in a short calendar period, you can plan to fly a few hours a day, but more than two or three in a day, or eight to ten a week, will probably be wasted on you, as a person can absorb only so much new information per day.

Think of a flying instructor not so much as a person who is going to "teach" you to fly, but more keep you safe while you learn for yourself. If you walk up to the plane and instructor and say "teach me", they will, but you won't learn as much or as fast. If you imagine all the things you want to learn, read, practice, and watch the planes takeoff and land, your mind will fill with questions, Then you're ready to learn - your training dollar will be well spent.

If you return to Nova Scotia with a student pilot permit, expect some challenge in walking in and renting a plane. You will have to fit yourself into their flight training program to fly. If you have a fresh PPL, it will be easier, but still, the aircraft provider will want a thorough checkout.

If a career in aviation is your goal, I have one more tidbit of advice for you, which I intend as being helpful, not unkind: As you grow in our industry, you will be constantly exposed to people well established in aviation - sometimes you won't realize it, but they're there. These are the people who could help you if they so choose. If you're applying for a job, you're standing in front of them on full display. Always present your very best. Avoid and actively prevent errors. What I know about you are a few of your goals, and how you write. I know more than you'd guess about you, based upon how you write. Thoroughness and error checking are vitally important personal skills that an aviation professional wants to see all of the time.

That does not mean that people won't accept your mistakes, but let it be evident that the mistakes occurred only because your very best effort was still a bit short of the requirement, not that you did not put in your best effort. If you want somebody to send you off in their $100,000 plane, they'll want to think that you are thorough, and work hard to minimize errors.

Professionals give it their best all of the time, and are seen to do so. Professionals like to surround themselves with other people who seem professional too!

Best of luck with your flying...

Pilot DAR

moetorious
7th Apr 2007, 23:51
Wow thanks for the great advice, I do realize that I have some spelling
+ grammer errors but thats when I dont re read what I write:uhoh: , anyway do you know how long will it take to get my PPL if I start training full time starting May?

Thanks
Moe

Pilot DAR
7th Apr 2007, 23:54
Hi Moe,

Welcome to Canadian aviation, it's great!

Buttonville has a very good flight training environment. Buttonville is one of Canada's busiest airports, and is controlled. This means lots of radio work, which is good, but waiting in line sometimes, while the clock ticks, not so good. Yes, you log the waiting time as flying time, 'cause the engine is running, but you're on the ground.

Brampton Flying Club, which is just northwest of Toronto is also very good. Brampton's advantage is that they own their own airport. They also have a good selection of aircraft, including an amphibian.

There are a number of other flying schools which are also very good, farther away from Toronto. The one major advantage of many of these is that being smaller, they could perhaps more cater to your specific needs and schedule. The "big" flying schools are often very busy, and you can find yourself waiting for aircraft and instructors to be available.

On the other hand, if you're in a busy environment, and waiting to fly, you get to watch all of the other students, and learn from watching their successes and failures, and asking about them. That very valuable learning is completely free to you - as much as you can absorb!

If you are trying to complete training in a short calendar period, you can plan to fly a few hours a day, but more than two or three in a day, or eight to ten a week, will probably be wasted on you, as a person can absorb only so much new information per day.

Think of a flying instructor not so much as a person who is going to "teach" you to fly, but more keep you safe while you learn for yourself. If you walk up to the plane and instructor and say "teach me", they will, but you won't learn as much or as fast. If you imagine all the things you want to learn, read, practice, and watch the planes takeoff and land, your mind will fill with questions, Then you're ready to learn - your training dollar will be well spent.

If you return to Nova Scotia with a student pilot permit, expect some challenge in walking in and renting a plane. You will have to fit yourself into their flight training program to fly. If you have a fresh PPL, it will be easier, but still, the aircraft provider will want a thorough checkout.

If a career in aviation is your goal, I have one more tidbit of advice for you, which I intend as being helpful, not unkind: As you grow in our industry, you will be constantly exposed to people well established in aviation - sometimes you won't realize it, but they're there. These are the people who could help you if they so choose. If you're applying for a job, you're standing in front of them on full display. Always present your very best. Avoid and actively prevent errors. What I know about you are a few of your goals, and how you write. I know more than you'd guess about you, based upon how you write. Thoroughness and error checking are vitally important personal skills that an aviation professional wants to see all of the time.

That does not mean that people won't accept your mistakes, but let it be evident that the mistakes occurred only because your very best effort was still a bit short of the requirement, not that you did not put in your best effort. If you want somebody to send you off in their $100,000 plane, they'll want to think that you are thorough, and work hard to minimize errors.

Professionals give it their best all of the time, and are seen to do so. Professionals like to surround themselves with other people who seem professional too!

Best of luck with your flying...

Pilot DAR

FL470
8th Apr 2007, 06:04
I did my training at the Brampton Flight Center. Very good instructors and aircraft (which are in excellent condition) for a reasonable price. They own their own airport which is an asset and the administration is top notch.

Don't forget to try the burgers at the retaurant :}.

Bottom line is: I was treated very well and I would go back anytime! :ok:

rotornut
8th Apr 2007, 13:21
Also, check out Trent Air Flight Academy: http://www.trentair.com/contact.html

Peterborough is about 75 miles from Toronto and there's not a great deal of air traffic.

fernytickles
8th Apr 2007, 14:09
Moe,
Lots of useful advice from the others who posted on here, but I see no one answered your "how much time" question. It is very subjective - weather, personal ability, how much work you are willing to put in etc, etc.

To give you an idea, I did nothing but fly when I first started, and it took me about 4 weeks to get the PPL. I think at that point you had to have 45 hours (or was it 40, I can't remember) before you could take the checkride, and I had a little over 50. Some folks do it in exactly 45 hours, others take hundreds of hours. Again its down to the individual.

If you are willing to put in the ground work, study hard and give it your best shot, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't complete the licence in the months you will be there.

And if you and your instructor have the time, come to AirVenture in Oshkosh for a long cross country - you'll love it if you haven't been before :ok: Just be sure to read all the instructions first.

If you can't make it here, I believe there's a DeHavilland Beaver gathering in Toronto in May. Or use your flights to visit the weekend fly-ins and pancake breakfasts. You'll absorb as much useful info at those, along with some hefty carbs, and meet some really neat folk.

moetorious
8th Apr 2007, 19:47
thnx everyone for your advice, the thing is my family lives in richmondhill and we are 5 minutes away from the buttonville airport, hopefully I can finish my PPL ASAP becuase thats all im concentrating on.

again thnx for your help guys

-Moe

RatherBeFlying
11th Apr 2007, 01:16
If you're in Richmond Hill, Future Air www.futureair.ca at Holland Landing is not that much farther away. Compared to Buttonville, it's a rural operation and there's less time lost waiting in line.

The short runway will teach you precise flying. The instructors are good.

airfly
7th May 2007, 06:11
Hey guys,

I was actually trying to look for a flying school in Toronto. So far I came up with two flying school:

Brampton Flying Club
Toronto Airways (Buttonville)

Now I know that both school have a pretty good reputation so my question is would it may any different on my resume?
Also cost of both school is almost the same.
One airport is control and the other one is with no control airport.
Brapton flying school has a new full time program wich is 12 to 14 month long and it give you a diploma or something, were Toronto Airways with Seneca give you a certificate and is part time, wich one is better?
If somebody can let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

YYZ
7th May 2007, 10:26
I used Spectrum at Burlington, also very close to Toronto?

http://www.spectrumairways.com/

YYZ

moetorious
7th May 2007, 21:02
thanks for the link, but its kind of far from my place. I already put my name down fro the ground school which starts may 24th, pretty excited about that.

thnx
Moe

Linthorst
28th Jun 2007, 11:00
Hi guys,
recently i got my jaa private lisnce and im planing to start my instrument and comercial training in Canada at Brampton Flight Centre in Ontario, im wandering if anyone have some information about the school , is it a good choice?
thanks.

moetorious
29th Jun 2007, 05:33
try http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/vhttp://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/

loads of info if u do a search there.