PDA

View Full Version : Safetycom

Ops and Mops
4th Apr 2007, 23:14
Hi all,
Just as a quick question, how many of you that operate from private airstrips/airfields that are "Non Radio" have had problems with idiots conducting PFL's to the strip, or joining without so much as a call on SAFETYCOM?

Whilst there are still non-radio aircraft out there, there seems to be a bit of a habit developing from some local flying club aircraft that are KNOWN to have radios, choosing to do their PFL's or circuits to low approach and go around to our strip without a) asking the permission of the strip owner, and b) not using SAFETYCOM - especially when locally based aircraft are clearly sitting in front of the hangars and taxying out toward the runway.

Is airmanship not taught anymore?! (Plus it is annoying the neighbours we try so hard to avoid with our noise footprint!)

I guess a Safety Observation to the CAA of potential infringement of the 500ft rule could make the point hit home...

:= :ugh: :rolleyes:

Bravo73
5th Apr 2007, 07:55
I fully understand your concerns and frustrations but rather than going directly to the CAA, have you first tried having a 'quiet word' with the club concerned?

gasax
5th Apr 2007, 07:56
Welcome to the joys of having a strip!

I found that some forceful discussions with the relevant owners / clubs fixed the issue. If you're non-radio then Safetycom is pretty much useless. Locally we have Safetycom - barely used (and less than memorable!), the microlight frequency and at least 2 glider frequencies plus of course that good old fallback of 123.45 with of course the local Class D who still like to 'control' 30 miles out! So the chances of a 'non-radio' aircraft being on the right frequency is pretty slim.

The answer is to communicate with the owners / clubs. As for 'shopping them' to the CAA - if you don't want to continue living in the area it may be a good strategy - unless you want to be public enemy No1 in your chosen hobby! Stop ranting and talk to them - once they understand the problem it will go away.

Ops and Mops
5th Apr 2007, 17:11
Thanks for the replies guys!

We have tried the "gentle reminder" route with the people concerned, but still they insist on coming. The old "it's in Class G Airspace, we can do what we want" attitude seems prevalent, hence why I thought maybe the reminder about Rule 5 would make them sit up and take notice.

All the aircraft at our strip operate on SAFETYCOM whilst on the ground and within 3nm, and we always inform the local Radar unit when we are active.

I guess our frustration is that despite our best efforts, and the promulgation of an AIC with regard to SAFETYCOM, no notice is being taken by seemingly professional instructors and qualified PPL's.

Above all else, it is just downright rude to use a private strip without the owners permission, except in a real emergency! We are not being exclusive, however as all strip owners know, noise abatement is a huge issue if we wish to continue to be able to keep the strip established.

One of these days, there is going to be an accident just because people "can't be bothered" to phone up before hand or get themselves used to using SAFETYCOM!

Cheers!

Nipper2
5th Apr 2007, 21:13
We have taught the local lads who go rough shooting in the woods at the end of our strip to recognise the home based aircraft....