PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Little Gransden

rats404
4th Apr 2007, 18:06
I'm looking for somewhere local to revalidate my PPL, and decide to call in to Skyline in Little Gransden today.

Popped in to LG, saw lots of nice YAKs, but the Skyline portakabin was empty and locked. Called their number with no reply and no answerphone. A very helpful chap cleaning his TVR had given me directions to their office, and was surprised there was no one there as he thought Monday was their "closed" day.

Can anyone confirm they are still operating? I'm now wondering, given the recent issues regarding the licensing of LG. I absolutely do not want to spread alarm as I'm sure they were just busy off the field, but they are second closest to me (Henlow's closer) and I want to get flying again asap.

Johnm
4th Apr 2007, 19:43
You could contact Derick Gunning at Fowlmere see www.modair.co.uk

rats404
4th Apr 2007, 20:26
Thanks for that - for some odd reason, I hadn't even thought of Fowlmere. I may well pop down and recce the place. Any comments about Bourn or Henlow?

stray10level
4th Apr 2007, 22:10
Pop in and see Lindsey at Bourne, a great bloke and an equally great instructor. Reasonable prices! Fowlmere is indeed a very smart field, however as you were visiting Skyline i suspect your motive may have been they are CHEAP! So Fowlmere may come as something of a shock, Skyline would prbably fit into the BOGOF(by one get one free!) sales pitch compared with Fowlmere!
Happy flying wherever you choose to do it! Have you thought of poping into Top Farm and seeing if a passing instructor could help?

rats404
5th Apr 2007, 04:45
Pop in and see Lindsey at Bourne

Actually a great bloke/great instructor is more important to me than price, as is time to get there from home (about 3 nm NE of Henlow), and decent aircraft.

Thanks very much for the comments - much appreciated.

...A quick update...Went over to Bourn, nice friendly atmosphere with the other pilots milling around. I met Lindsay, who patiently discussed the revalidation route with me, going to great lengths to look up the appropriate regs. Suffice it to say I'm back there tomorrow flying again after many years. :)

essouira
23rd Apr 2007, 14:35
You've made an excellent decision. Lindsay and the team at Bourn are amongst the best. Have fun !

Wessex Boy
23rd Apr 2007, 15:10
Enjoy! I have come back after a 17 year break, thoroughly enjoying it!

rats404
3rd May 2007, 18:58
Thanks lads. Just got back from 2 weeks overseas with a stinking head cold. so time to hit the exams while my sinuses clear....

I was amazed at how familiar the flying was after such a long layoff.

Testament to many good instructors in the past, including Paul Gunn, Steve Yorke, Paul Jarvis and Captain Mike McDonnell (who I never flew with but was a good friend, and a bit of a hero to me, with tales of AAC fixed wing flying into airstrips in Malaya and Nepal).

Hmm, think I need to search the "Where are they now?" section....