PDA

View Full Version : Current Gulf Air issues (threads merged)

Pages : 1 [2]

Desert_Storm
25th Apr 2007, 22:29
Well Reach-69, it's easy to critize us but really hope you don't have to face the situation that we are facing now, thousand of miles away from home, taken by surprise with the decision of phasing out the 767's and with this "take the A-320 option or get the f*&%.k out of here", with bank loans, kids in school,etc. Evidently, in your case, can even consider to quit GF, stay in the area (home) and start looking for another option like EK, EY, QR, etc. In our case, it'd be way more difficult since our visas are dependant on this GF contract so no GF no visa, thus, get the f*&%$..k out of the middle east. Applying for this A-320 is the only thing we can do now and again, the situation is take it or leave it. What would you do in our cases? Keep you pride and quit? I seriously doubt it mate.:=

Stratosphere6000
26th Apr 2007, 00:27
Yes ban is over...but you think they cannot impose one just as easily as they did in the past?surely if they see too many guys jumping ship they will talk to the habibi's across the road and impose a ban again...Thats what i meant SPIRIT HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly desert storm i know it must be tough on you guys...but you all didn't even put up a fight..u raised the white flag before the battle..my only conclusion is that most of you have no where better to go..accepting 320 is ok but signing a US$60000 bond without even questioning anything when EK offering wide body for US$36000 is madness....Do u guys just accept everything at face value?

ironbutt57
26th Apr 2007, 00:40
Strats...the bond issue is never ideal, some will find it unacceptable and leave..GF have too many pilots at present, and some will leave, others find themselves in the position of making the "lesser of two evils" choice...once numbers all align, you might see a change in the situation here at GF...so the choice is to commit for three years, remain on present fleet, or shop elsewhere...:uhoh:

desert storm..wouldn't look at it as losing face or your pride..look at it as a FORDEC exercise..the facts have changed, so the options have as well...so inevitably the decision may have to be reviewed as well:ok:

ODMEA
26th Apr 2007, 02:20
Rest assured I am a GF pax people (70% F 30% J). I can recite the safety video (in Arabic or English) off by heart and am lifetime Gold.:)

My observations come from sitting and observing, talking and meeting many people from the Pink Palace during my transits or business visits in/to BAH.
Let alone the many 'd and m's' I've had with your cabin managers(female of course) the males ehemm, read LOCALS, where never to be seen or disinterested at best or too busy announcing on the PA that "we were leaving planet earth" further consolidating GF's unprofessional side.

I liked GF F first because it was cheaper than J on most other carriers. The service up front was fantastic 95% of the time. I had only to contend with a cabin of 8 pax and TWO lavs! The food was always immaculate. I did miss a few necessary amenities and a more modern IFE, however, but I got what I paid for - a VERY comfy bed I could sleep in. I also enjoyed the very human BAH airport..transits and lounges and not having to step over people to get to my plane..read DXB city zoo. GF's 30-40 min transits and my bags never once got lost. Well done BAH airport services:D:ok:

I average 15 sectors in a 3 week period when I fly to GCC for business. GF's schedules are unmatched. I fly mostly ultra long haul from SYD(which is soon to be no longer) and to LHR and CDG.

All GF needed to do was have decent IFE and consistant good quality cabins and the likes of EK EY or QR really had nothing on GF.

I also enjoyed BAH as a city, very relaxed traffic, tolerable and it's population who IMO are only 2nd to Omani's in terms of friendliness.

A little narrative to get a loyal pax perspective.:8

Oddy

PS If anyone from GF management ever needs a pax perspective for future developments..let me at it - more than happy to constructively assist!:E

ironbutt57
26th Apr 2007, 02:33
Thanks for that ODDY...think it will get even better:ok: and as for the "leaving planet earth" PA...yup been there heard that...think that bloke has been gone from planet earth himself for quite some time...but he is good with the crews though:O

Spirit
26th Apr 2007, 12:19
Stratosphere6K, then GF would have to have bans imposed on them from God knows how many different carriers, not only in the region.

Like you, I also plan for worst-case scenarios, but if GF would even try to take a step, like the above mentioned, they would loose all credibility.
Okay, GF does not exactly have a solid reputation to them for making sound decisions, but to do something like this, would make a lot of guys (myself included) prefer jumping ship, and instead applying for a job as a schoolbusdriver in downtown Cairo...or Basra.

I might even get away with only signing a 12000 BD trainingbond over 3 years, to drive kids to and from school morning and evening...:}

Wild Tiger
27th Apr 2007, 11:33
Now you all know ---- so whats next... even people at the top dont know what next to do?

BahrainLad
1st May 2007, 08:01
Clamp on concessional tickets

GULF Air yesterday announced it was scrapping or drastically reducing free
ticket and discount travel available "to certain parties".

In future, this rebated ticket facility will only be extended to Gulf Air's
direct employees, current board members and parties covered under IATA and
the airline's commercial obligations, it said.

"All other parties which are currently benefiting from this facility will no
longer be given any free of charge or concessional tickets in the future,"
said the airline.

"Gulf Air's past free and reduced fare policy has been substantially
revamped to ensure a better control and monitoring system is in place.

"Accordingly, a new ticket concession policy and procedure has been
presented and approved by the board of directors."

The news follows an announcement earlier this month that the airline was
making massive cutbacks as a result of huge financial losses

capgemini
1st May 2007, 11:38
Looks like time to upgrate will be much longer than expected!!!!:\ ,specially with the first group of capt's 767 transfered to A320 ,second group will be in 2008 :{ CIAO SEE YOU IN ARABIA OR EY

Bombay HF
1st May 2007, 12:10
I wonder if GF will be in the unique position of being an airline that in a six month period went from being short of crew, to having 80 too many to once again being so short that they can't crew flights:confused: I think the fact that other airlines are coming to Bahrain to recruit may convince those sitting on the fence that now is a good time to leave. ATH down to three a week with no onwards connection to SYD, how long before that sector gets the chop?

Capt Hair Y Balls
2nd May 2007, 18:36
Hot off the press.

Command upgrades have been suspended.

I suspect this will be the final straw for many good colleagues who have invested many years of service in this airline.

What are you lads on the third floor doing?

Do you not realize that your actions will backfire? The exodus will be swift and en-mass.

Good luck to all, it has been an honour and a true pleasure to work with you for the past 20 years.

Stratosphere6000
11th May 2007, 05:48
If all those FO's were worried about commands slowing down, now it may get even worse. Read this article in GDN. Looks like GF gonna get even smaller than expected. Printing error? maybe..but how many of you are gonna take this sort of a gamble when all this has happened. I've said it a million times. GF and Bahrain have massive potential. Unfortunately GF is only attractive for two kinds of pilots right now. Guys who need an opportunity to fly jets and those who are already commanders and are settled here. Those FO's with enough jet time or young captains who aspire for greater challenges, just not attractive. Im sure a lot of us would like to see GF succeed. Question is are many prepared to take the risk and end up waiting endlessly for new challenges when other carriers will offer you similar in half the time? Its all up to the individual but I know most guys don't want to stagnate in their careers.....READ ON!!!!

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=181746&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=30052

boiler
11th May 2007, 06:38
Mr Al Kooheji said there had already been an improvement in the services offered by Gulf Air, with flight punctuality rates increasing from 65 per cent to 80pc.

The lies never stop. what a load of bu****.

AirbustA340
11th May 2007, 07:05
Boilermaker did you expect the lies to stop?

Wishfull thinking

boiler
11th May 2007, 07:12
Well, no not really. What I find incredible is that how people have the guts to say a straight out lie right next to the crown prince and then get away with it. Actually, it is the getting away with it part that always amazes me with no one bothering to check-up on the accuracy such statements.

F430
11th May 2007, 07:28
And now the same guys will create the same disaster next door.:D
EY wiil be just a copy of the so called successful restructuring of GF.:yuk:

SandpitFlyer
11th May 2007, 07:38
They all lie in the Middle east, what's important is who's the highest paying liar:E

scanscanscan
11th May 2007, 08:58
The GDN report on GF also refers to " Laughter being the best medicine"......
and healthy for you.....I expect healthy Mr Hogan is laughing all the way to his bank...and goood luck to him...as he goes back for seconds in Auh...could MCT be next...then off to India?
Should one laugh or cry at the many many times GF gets screwed over again and again in every department over the years?...probably laughter is more healthy.
Tomorrow happily is the retired on (no Gf pension) expat crews reunion in London....the crews who served Gf well from 1974 to 2002ish on the F27/B737/L1011/and Airbus fleets...pity if their one free (husband+wife) retirement ticket after 20years service has now been scrapped.....and they now use Ryanair with 100% less hassle for retirement travel.
These crews made huge efforts 1974 to 2000... like you have done since the crash... and some stayed loyal and waited for things to get better....for most who stayed it never did....the only advantage I found was long term expat tax status for some nationalities as their investment income often became equal to or sometimes double their Gf salery....secure their Gf employment effort fell off as they aged and the reality..... that things would in fact never get better at GF for crews struck....despite having flown through two wars...flown on days off...given up leave... etc etc Gf employment became secondary to their portfolio management....as things would never get better at GF.
The crash was well talked up as an inevitable outcome of managers actions and several trainers and pilots did not hang around to see it happen.
I reallyhope it all works out for you crews who have made huge efforts like we did for GF.
I appreciate the efforts you have all made since the crash to keep the GF show afloat..and I hope you all stay as lucky as I did.
Incidentaly I do not know any pilot in my 26years at GF who moved or was removed from GF who regretted it 3 years on.

Capt Hair Y Balls
11th May 2007, 11:41
Some good ol words of wisdom there from my mate scan. He's seen it all boys and if in his 26 years things didnt get better I seriously doubt they'll start now. After all he did live through GF's golden age, we then went through the silver, bronze..........and now it's back to the stone age.

Cheers
Fluffies

Stratosphere6000
23rd May 2007, 19:06
and for those of you who think GF should follow suit with the other carriers here and be unprofitable just to be posh and save face....maybe WE are the trendsetters the others will be forced to follow at a future date...who can tell...times are a changin' here in the gulf.

Comment from one of our favourites IB57. Just an article which certainly proves GF are not the trend setters as some would like to believe. Whether EY can do it is just as big a gamble as whether or not GF can. I would still put my money on EY though.

Etihad targets 2010 for first profits
By Brendan Sobie

Etihad Airways plans more rapid network and fleet growth but warns it will chalk up another three years of losses and needs another capital infusion.

The Abu Dhabi-based carrier's new management team, which includes chief executive officer James Hogan and executive vice-president finance James Rigney, has completed a new business plan that projects the first break even result in 2010. Etihad launched services in late 2003 and has quickly expanded its network to nearly 40 destinations.

"In the first three years there were trading losses and in the next three years there will be trading losses, which is not unexpected," Rigney says. "The new business plan has the business achieving break even in 2010. What was important to our shareholder is we build a realistic business plan."

Etihad is not disclosing the extent of its losses but says it is on track to generate $1.3 billion in revenues in 2007 and carry over 4 million passengers. In the first quarter of 2007 it generated 712 million dirham ($194 million) in revenues, a 208% increase over the same period last year, despite only a 130% increase in capacity. Yields improved by 19% and load factors surged from 54.5% to 68.3%.

Rigney reveals Etihad is close to completing a recapitalisation with its shareholder, Abu Dhabi's government: "What is required is the right level of capitalisation and the right level of corporate and financial governance of a business of this magnitude. What was required for the first three years was different."

Rigney says that since he and Hogan joined Etihad from Gulf Air in October they have drafted a new manual of authority and put into place stronger and more detailed reporting lines. Better inventory and pricing controls have been implemented and Etihad has begun hedging its fuel costs. "A large part of our business plan is to have a very efficient cost base and to maximise our revenues," Rigney says.

He adds the government has tasked the new management team to carry out a financial restructuring and run the airline purely commercially without any subsidies. "When we came the airline just became three years old. To go from start-up to 24 aircraft in three years is very fast. It was a major operational focus. After three years we move into a new phase. We're a new airline but no longer a start-up."

The carrier's passenger fleet will expand from 21 to 31 aircraft in 2007, giving it the capacity to launch several new routes. Etihad added two destinations in the first quarter and will add another four by the end of this summer. It is looking to add another five by end of 2007, giving it 47 destinations in total.

Etihad is now only committed to acquiring four additional aircraft beyond 2007 - four Airbus A380s which will not be delivered until 2009 and 2010. But Etihad's new business plan includes continued rapid growth and Rigney says it will secure the additional capacity it needs for 2008 and beyond within the next two months. "There will be significant growth in the next five years," promises Rigney.

He adds Etihad is now talking to Airbus and Boeing about additional widebodies and its first narrowbodies, which are needed to further develop its Abu Dhabi hub.

Panama Jack
23rd May 2007, 19:23
Just like he did with GF?

"The mandate I have is to consolidate and like any good shareholder they want to see tha airline break even and make a return. That's the clear brief I have," said Hogan, the Australian-born former Gulf Air chief executive. "We haven't published any figures, but you can imagine, starting up with an airline as we have, there are a lot of capital costs. It's not in profit yet, but there is a clear mandate to bring it to break-even and profitability."

When (and how) does he expect to do that? "We haven't made that public yet. I'll tell the shareholders first and then I'll tell you."

:zzz: Talk is cheap and seeing is believing. What furniture does Etihad have that he can sell?

Stratosphere6000
23rd May 2007, 19:45
Talk is cheap and seeing is believing.

Exactly my point. So what makes you so confident about GF doing it? If you read between the lines of my comments I implied seeing is believing. My point was lets not get carried away and think GF will be the pioneer and trend setter. Also a lot of you think James Hogan destroyed this airline and so he will do it at EY. Did you ever consider how much power he did have to make big changes over here? He has said in an interview that the most upsetting thing was when the board opted not to hedge the fuel prices which were totally against his beliefs. We all know about the losses incurred by being short sighted about that. He sold assets, these guys downsizing. Same outcome different route? Also if the future of EY is to be judged by Hogans past achievements then we should forcast GF's future based on the acomplishments of GF's CEO n COO.......right???????

Firbolgs
24th May 2007, 07:08
Its amazing that some guys blame Hogie for the GF demise, I am no great lover of the man but how can he take the rap for the last 25 years of cheating/stealing/nepotism and general corruption that has brought a once well respected airline to its knees.

Im sure any old timer in GF will recall the massive amounts that went missing under certain countries leadership!...with no one being brought to task over it. Is it any wonder that UAE got fed up with it?

Yet another 3rd rate loser has been put in charge and he is expected to resurect the fortunes of the airline, sorry folks but its an impossible task with what is left....start again with a clean sheet of paper.
Its time to stop living in the past, the heydays are gone, there is now competition in the gulf region so its survival of the fittest...

Good luck to one and all:ok:

ironbutt57
24th May 2007, 07:33
I reckon that's precisely what they are in the process of doing..in many ways lots of stumbling blocks from the good old days disappeared...others overhauled...if they are left to the task, then hopefully it works out...JH was hamstrung with a lot of his plans due to govt's infighting and squabbling over who gets what and where, now the logisitcs headaches of multiple hubs and owners are a thing of the past, maybe this can succeed keeping fingers crossed...

Heleheleyani
24th May 2007, 12:30
There's a sweet message from our COO mr naf in our aims, I want to say him at least on my behalf that he has enough time to convince many people who are planning to leave, at least a month maybe 2 months, I personally will wait until september or so before I give my resignation, so let's see what he has got to offer.

Speedbrake Lever
24th May 2007, 14:10
Hele

I think two months or Sept you might miss a lot of whats available NOW

but good luck with whatever you decide personally i think

its time to get on a raft and start pedalling

S.L. 20+ yrs ....... gf

Mustapha Rex
24th May 2007, 16:20
never seen anyting like it mate :eek:

Leave everythin come this way! Jump Jump!:E

discover
26th May 2007, 08:02
More than 100 Pilots were poached last week from Bahrain , the biggest ever poaching of it’s kind in the history of Bahrain ,
as representatives from the rival Airlines landed at Bahrain International Airport last week, carrying with them bags of jobs offers , and were told by there bosses “ just go and get as much as you can “ , they did not have to go to fare to Start there poaching , posts were positioned around the Airport , at a nice cozy hotel next to Gulf Air headquarter, and by the end of the day a hefty list of a highly experienced Airline Pilots were flown back , this week they will be back again for some more poaching .

Even though it’s not a very good news for our ailing national carrier , and it could have not come at a worse time , but , it’s also unconceivable to see some of those veteran Pilots who spent years with there families on this soil take such a hasty Decision which is mostly based on emotions , as if there live hoods is in danger of collapsing ? Pilots demand is on the rise , so the more one wait , the better it will get, thus, switching jobs , or starting a new life at the cost of the live hoods of ones family and children’s might not be the best thing one should do or rush into without proper plans and investigations , just because someone said that the : “grass is greener on the other side “ !

Bombay HF
26th May 2007, 09:42
I believe that BAHRAINI pilots have now been banned from going to Etihad for political reasons.

Capt Al Fakhem
26th May 2007, 10:06
Discover,

I believe you omitted to mention that the text you posted is from a letter posted in the GDN from a certain Mr Ishaq Kooheji. Mr Kooheji is obviously either missinformed or oblivious to what's going on in GF.

it’s also unconceivable to see some of those veteran Pilots who spent years with there families on this soil take such a hasty Decision which is mostly based on emotions , as if there live hoods is in danger of collapsing ?

I fear no one's decision is taken in hast, it was taken after reading that 1500 EXPAT crew will be sacked and after Mr Naf advised that potentially up to 200 pilots will be either sacked or given a warning.

discover
26th May 2007, 14:52
Capt. ALfakeem,

I agree with you that not all of those who took the decision have based it on emotion, but I certainly agree with the writer that a lot of them have? As the Gulf Air management until now have not issued a single notice to any pilot, or even sacked one except Capt. Hameed Ali which I personally believe was a mistake.
But, on the contrary, they have increased all pilots salaries in attempt to keep them, even some of the board members intervened personally and manged to stop a group of young pilots from leaving ( see Btv program on Gulf Air ) .

I fully agree with you that the whole shambles have started after the disaster Press conference by the new management in which they through a big Stone in the water ! and it was also compounded later on , when the rival Airlines of the Gulf staged there Road Show in Bahrain to poach our dear friends.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/mpangel.gif hang on guys

discover
26th May 2007, 15:14
Mike,

Becuase as the writer have said in the article that the :
" Grass is not greener on the other side "

also not necessarly that thing will conitnue the same way for ever, I belive the good days will come again , and Gulf Air will be strong again with this mangement or without , THE GOVERNMENT have taken the decision that this Airline is here to stay , and
I certinaly hope that it will be with you " Mike " ?:ok:

airpilot_A3xx
26th May 2007, 15:51
DISCOVER.... if you didn't make it to the roadshows, you can still apply on line mate:). Loyalty has nothing to do with the exodus of GF pilots towards greener pastures, buisiness is buisiness and the highest bidder always wins:D

Icarus
26th May 2007, 17:19
"Business is Business" where 'greener pastures' are concerned; yet "Business is (not) Business" when faced with the sack? Seems a fairly 'pilot' point of view!

left_to_first_class
26th May 2007, 19:35
dear oh dear ..... looks like AD has either played this very wrong, or he's planned this all along.

As well as the cabin crew and pilots all deserting the GF ship, there are plenty of expat managers that are now walking as they feel unsecure at GF. Contracts are not getting renewed and those who have contracts up later in the year or even next year are upping now as there are plenty of jobs around.

So, the crew leave and the expat managers (some good, some indifferent) go, so what do you have left ... the bahraini's running the show (that's after the omanis run as well).

Now GF run by bahraini's ..... good luck AD as you will need more than inshallah to run this sinking ship.

MikeHunt
27th May 2007, 01:23
Discover,

Whatever nonsense you are trying to prove? The latest VP nomination should say it all, I doubt GF will ever get better.

By yhe looks of it, it is sinking and taking its prople with it.

Corruption is still rife in every corner, same old folks are running the show, delays like no tomorrow, and the canteen these days shows full house from 7am, can you show me where it is getting better?:8

I think like some who believe that by nationalizing the airline it will run better, you are dreaming of Santa Claus jumping in through the air duct of your 1st floor office!

Getting better! Yea right! in your dreams habibi!:sad:

Spirit
27th May 2007, 18:05
Can anybody here please confirm (or maybe better: NOT confirm), that any pilot-payrise has been overruled by the "Bored"?

Desert_Storm
27th May 2007, 19:59
Hola super porsche!. Sadly I printed my salary slip this afternoon and could realise that no increase was paid and the supposedly 200 BD weren't in my account. The only thing I saw was a message from Mr. Nef asking us NOT to leave because GF is the best airline in the middle east and that they are still working in the "new attracive package". Man, I'm getting tired of some many Bull :mad:t.....Really needed the extra 200 and more of course, but 200 bd would have help me pay the bloody insurance of my car. Anyway, GF keep disappointing us everyday. did you read the message form Nef. Call me dude!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Desert_Storm
27th May 2007, 20:08
Oh, I didn't know that (maybe because GF never send me any info to my mail). Anyway, hopefully any pilots will be left on june to enjoy the 200 BDs. Cheers mates!

DesertHawk
27th May 2007, 21:47
sad we have many problems. surprised that new management has not realized that clear communication is a must especially to a group pf worried employees. also being clear and accurate is the only way to creat trust which Bjorn is trying to get i think they need to take some massive strides forward in this department.

also in latest blog on aims. said not laying off in the foreseeable 6months to year i think.....well does that mean in 1 year i will be looking for work?

i hope these answers are coming as promised in the coming "weeks" cause this makes even the most committed guy get cold feet.

hope for the best....it may happen or not, atleast for those who want to leave you have options:)

brassplate
27th May 2007, 23:58
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=183380&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=30069

Whoever's waiting for their 200BD payrise (which will be Junes paycheque ie more July than June) will also need to wait for their new package at the end of July.
The problem from the above article is that every airline in the region has announced their remuneration packages along with their terms and conditions. Why not Gulf Air? All have laid their cards on the table, all except Gulf Air.
What's with the big secret?
Pilots and, indeed the airlines employees do not like surprises when it comes to their income. We chose our careers paths based on this.
Meanwhile, the brain-drain continues, not necessarily to greener pastures but because of what we know of.
Nobody likes to plunge into the dark as Gulf Air has subjected it's employees to.
The package may end up being attractive. There may be a coupla hundreds dinars added here and subtracted there. And overall, it may still be worth ones while to remain.
So then, what the hell is with the big secret? Maybe they want people to leave. That's all I can think of.

bus787
28th May 2007, 10:32
Irony the Owner of GF announces his Budget has a surplus of 141 Million BHD.This includes the lossesmade by Gulf Air.
They want to make it more by making profit from GF as well.

Stratosphere6000
29th May 2007, 04:11
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=183500&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=30070

"The experienced and qualified cabin and cockpit crew had no option but to look around for jobs in search of security and stability in their careers and their future," he said.

"It is little consolation to the staff to read in this new memo that the sackings will take place in 10 to 12 months time.

"What he (Mr Naf) is trying to say is: 'Stay with us while we try to stabilise ourselves in the next 10 to 12 months and then we will sack you'."

Interesting quote from that article..........

jackbauer
29th May 2007, 06:17
Interesting quote but it is exactly what I took from that memo. My question is, can these two (Dozy and Naf) put two words together without sounding stupid and out of their depth? We could laugh at all the poor communications that have come from these two if it was not so serious.

Bombay HF
29th May 2007, 07:44
The article also mentions that 320 of the 506 GF pilots have applied for other jobs, that's 63%! If this figure is even close then that's staggering. The new boss announcing job cuts so early in his tenure could go down as one of the biggest blunders in the history of Gulf Air:uhoh:

Fay Jinah
29th May 2007, 08:00
The biggest blunder in history is that the management that remains from the previous era is still there, theft and misapropriation of company funds still goes on, and nothing is done about it.

It is not the crew or the employees who are the cause of Gulf air's demise, it's the sorry ignorent management that is still there!

Andre wake up from your dose!

Capt Hair Y Balls
29th May 2007, 11:54
I would like to quote a exert from the latest email we got from that literary genius Mr Naf for your consideration.

As we are all aware that our airline has been in the news and the recent media coverage has indicated that there will be significant reduction at Gulf Air staff, especially in the cabin and cockpit crew, in the coming month.

This is not correct. The process of cabin and cockpit crew staff reduction will take 10 to 12 months

In other words what Mr Naf is saying is dont worry boys and gals we wont sack anyone now, bare with us and work hard to get the company organized and we'll sack you when we're good and ready in 10 to 12 months time.:ouch:

How's that for communications skills and a moral booster hay?

Run and run hard.

Best of luck to all
Cheers
Fluffies

boiler
29th May 2007, 12:01
The new boss announcing job cuts so early in his tenure could go down as one of the biggest blunders in the history of Gulf Air
Dude, it's not just the pilots who are leaving, but the engineers as well. I have heard that many have submitted their resignation. Even if you have tons of pilots to fly the aircraft, who is going to be left to certify these aircraft and allow it to fly??? Dark times ahead for the airline indeed.

Fay Jinah
29th May 2007, 12:05
Sounds like they've just left their gig in Las Vegas, shiny lights, big songs, and no substance.

Doo be doo be doo, dadadada, Doobe doobe da....

CaptainOveur
29th May 2007, 15:13
Not to sound like a collaborator, but am I the only one who reads the memo differently. I think the point they are making is that 10-12 months down the line, they will have chipped away the people they don't want or need, so by that time they won't need to sack anyone, hence the use of his favourite phrase "natural attrition".

Don't get me wrong, I think they shot themselves in the foot big-time, but if you cast your mind back to the first mention of job losses, it was actually the Chairman of the board, Mr. Kooheji who started coming out with the figures of 1500 "expat crew" - Dose and and co. never mentioned this.
It seems that every time Dose is in the papers, this Kooheji character is in the next day saying something slightly different. Whether to appease the locals or just get his name in the papers, it's certainly causing most of the rumours and bad feelings...

just my ha'pennys worth,,,

roger, oveur.

Capt Hair Y Balls
29th May 2007, 17:22
Dear CaptainOveur,

Not to sound like a collaborator, but am I the only one who reads the memo differently. I think the point they are making is that 10-12 months down the line, they will have chipped away the people they don't want or need, so by that time they won't need to sack anyone, hence the use of his favourite phrase "natural attrition".

First things first, today's exodus frenzy has nothing to do with natural attrition it's a serious case of abandon ship. Secondly and more importantly natural (or otherwise) attrition does not guarrantee you get rid of "the one's you want". In fact quite the opposite, the good one's get jobs while the bad one's rejection.
The bottom line?
Scores will resign including the author :O

DesertHawk
29th May 2007, 17:48
to sum all of our scheming up..(make me smile we keep this thread going)

Gulf Air is in big trouble

losing massive amounts of crew

no idea what pay packeage MIGHT be

management always seems a day late and a dollar short and have trouble communicating

pink palace is in shambles

layoff rumours are making people get real cold feet

other airlines are rubbing their hands together in joyous glee

not sure if this covers all the problems but i think so

:ugh:STEALING A LINE FROM IRONBUTT "NOUGH SAID"?

Desert_Storm
29th May 2007, 18:45
For me this is like when the Titanic Ship sunk into the deep cold ocean. Remember the movie when the situation was totally f*%&ed up and the band was playing music, well, any similarity with actual facts are purely coincidential. Totally agree with Captain Hair Y Balls, they want us to really strive now so the can show improvements to the board and then, dump us like garbagge. Mates, I've seen this situation before and believe me, they'll do that to us. If some of you guys still think GF gives a damn about us, well, you'll be so disappointed in 10-12 month, but at least, this thought makes me feel better: I'll be more senior than Ironbutts hahahaha. Nothing personnal IB but really will see you in a year or so looking after a job in EY or QR. No worries, you are a cool dude and we'll party in Abu Dhabi mate. Cheers!:}

Panama Jack
29th May 2007, 19:14
Capt Hair Y Balls wrote:

In other words what Mr Naf is saying is dont worry boys and gals we wont sack anyone now, bare with us and work hard to get the company organized and we'll sack you when we're good and ready in 10 to 12 months time.

Capt Hair Y Balls, it's fine if you are axe grinding, but at least if you are quoting parts of the letter, do the whole thing that includes saying that they expect to reach the target through natural attrition. :rolleyes:

In any case, wishing you well wherever you may go or whatever you end up doing.

Spirit
29th May 2007, 21:38
PJ, I personally believe, that GF are gonna reach (and be bypassed by) the desired crew-amount, just a little sooner than expected...and not just by "natural" attrition:rolleyes:.

ODMEA
30th May 2007, 03:46
:hmm: Oddy

boiler
30th May 2007, 03:54
From today's GDN. It must be true.
All pilots to keep their jobs

GULF Air Trade Union officials have welcomed an announcement from the airline that it will not lay off pilots of any nationality as part of its restructuring plans.

A statement from chairman-designate Mahmood Al Kooheji said the decision also applied to stewardesses and engineers working at the airline's headquarters in Muharraq or other branches abroad.

He also said that members of the board had agreed to eliminate inequalities in the salaries and bonuses of pilots and to train Bahrainis who used to fly the Boeing 767s to pilot the Airbus jets.

Trade union vice-chairman Khalid Al Aradi, who met with Mr Al Kooheji yesterday to discuss a number of issues, said the news would come as a relief to many of the airline's workers.

"It is our national carrier and we should take care of it," he said.

"We do not want to lose our professional people."

Mr Al Aradi said the airline had also agreed to hold periodical meetings between the union and Gulf Air president and chief executive Andre Dose to discuss issues that may not have been resolved.

He told the GDN that airline officials have agreed that a union representative should be present at various grievances committees, to be set up on a temporary or permanent basis.

The GDN reported on Monday that more than 900 Gulf Air workers had applied for jobs at other regional airlines.

Sources also said more than 500 have already been offered work with several airlines, including Qatar, Emirates and Etihad Airways.

It seems GF is already panicking. So where will the 1500 (or 2400 according to an internal GF source) layoffs come from then?

Stratosphere6000
30th May 2007, 04:30
So the plan backfired??? All of a sudden they want to keep the highly qualified proffesionals? Were GF crew not highly qualified in April? Did it have to take EK, EY and QR and lets not forget WY to open the eyes of GF to the qualifications of their OWN staff? Why did all the crew have to resort to running away for the airline to realise that they were needed. Is GF too big for their own boots? Are they finally swallowing the FAT pride that brought them down in the first plce? Well I can ask a billion more questions but I think you'll all get the point. They will point the gun to your head before reaslising that death is inevitible. Still not a nice position for the person who the gun is being pointed at though no matter what the reality..

jackbauer
30th May 2007, 04:58
This management is not to be trusted. They keep contradicting themselves which means they are either lying to us or don't know what they are doing. Whatever it is it's not a safe or secure place to be.

Fay Jinah
30th May 2007, 06:13
Why is Mr. Kent protected is he the cash cow through which all the comissions go?

Capt Al Fakhem
30th May 2007, 06:35
Well well, interesting developments on the horizon. Todays GDN made for some interesting reading. Bored (spelling correct) member Mr Kooheji claims NONE will be sacked!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt that the same Mr Kooheji who first announced 25% reduction in the workforce namely 1500 EXPAT CREW to be sacked in the GDN?????
Likewise the GF trade union (why the hell they call themselves a union I dont know) immediately expressed their support to the redundancy plans "since no bahrainis would be sacked".

Have you lads read the story about the boy who cried wolf? Well this is developing into a very similar story. This management have lost every ounce of credibility they ever had with these acts of desperation. Frankly they are totally lost and I suspect they havent the foggiest of whats going on. CRISIS MANAGEMENT in all it's glory. We go from 1500 sackings to the slap across the face when all three majors in the region run and book hundreds to interview. Then realizing they could potentially be faced with not enough staff to operate aircraft they promise gold plated "packages". Next reaction is :
As we are all aware that our airline has been in the news and the recent media coverage has indicated that there will be significant reduction at Gulf Air staff, especially in the cabin and cockpit crew, in the coming month.

This is not correct. The process of cabin and cockpit crew staff reduction will take 10 to 12 months
Next day the GDN comes out with some interesting numbers of potential imminent resignations and finally the sh!t hits the fan in the pink palace, calls are made announcments are required...............

Mr Kooheji GF board member states categorically NO REDUNDANCIES

WHO THE HECK DO YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE FOOLING?

Do you honestly think you can play around with peoples lives like that and they will just sit around and take it?

bus787
30th May 2007, 06:53
As the going says:
ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.
Something needs to be done to stop all the talk from all the confused around.
GF should Issue now the new PACKAGE .with better conditions for all.
This will show who is the CRY WOLF.Company giving the carrot only by bla bla bla or the Pilots who will eventually decide if they will stay or leave after the new package is announced.

Stratosphere6000
30th May 2007, 07:05
Do you honestly think you can play around with peoples lives like that and they will just sit around and take it?

I asked myself the same question..trust me you just have to scroll a few posts up to realise that there are the minority who are willing............

awss2
30th May 2007, 07:24
Michael Kent is the biggest crook the industry has ever known!

How he ended up at GF no one knows, he can be credited with Ansett's folding, thanks to his practices (malpractices) he left a hole worth millions of dollars, no wonder Murdoch never wanted to recapitalise the airline. He is doing the same here. Although this time he is sharing the takes with everyone around him (names can be supplied on request) all this bit about chefs is a smoke screen for the biggest con the industry has ever known.

Panama Jack
30th May 2007, 07:29
<sigh>. Sorry guys. I respect you as pilots and fellow co-workers but some of you sound like hand-wringing village wives.

I am not sure I understand where management has gone “back” on what they have said. Back in early April when André Dosé and Björn Näf announced that there will be reductions total staffing at Gulf Air, I also recall them giving a general number and saying that, in the area of crew, they did not expect to have to make any lay-offs since the combination of “natural” attrition and a hiring-ban would take care of itself within a few months time.

Quite frankly, I appreciate the new management’s candidness in giving us the bad news and what needs to be done even though it had also given me some restless nights. However, in a part of the world where “normal” news is fantastic story-like projections of growth and opportunities, and where the ugly or bad is so sugarcoated to be unrecognizable, the medicine prescribed for curing Gulf Air also provoked a upset stomach in many employees. People got cold feet and competitors set up shop in the Mövenpick. The “stampede” ensued.

As a result, the “natural” attrition was greatly accelerated. I think management’s failure in this case was to overestimate how many people would get frightened and run for the exit. This is a shame, because I now believe we will have lost too many people. Recent memos have re-iterated that the Company does not have the intention to force the attrition of crew—but this time they have done so with much more compelling language. Yet this message, from all the messages I have read, has always been consistent since April. I appreciate also that Management has been trying to be very open. Individuals like Dosé and Näf have invited employees to approach them with their concerns, a fact that has been reiterated by Björn in this recent memo. But lets face it guys, while they are trying to make themselves available to address our own concerns (which they need to, by the way) they are trying to also run an airline and reform it into a sustainable organization.

So if not from crews, where will the lay-off’s come from? Well, there is more to an airline than just a couple pilots, a few more hosties in the back and some wrench-swinging mechanics. As I write this message, the Bangkok-station staff is attending a meeting to find out who will be laid-off. In Bangkok alone, about 50% of the staff will be losing their jobs. The morale there is very bad, as you can imagine, as they are losing their jobs as a result of something that they had nothing to do with. Other stations such as Hong Kong, Jo-burg and Dublin are closing entirely, and these people will also be collecting their last Gulf Air paycheck. I expect that there will be other staff-cuts in administrative areas.

Sadly, we are losing some great people here at Gulf Air, but I feel even more sad for those whose decision was made for them.

Panama Jack
30th May 2007, 07:47
MikeHunt. I don't have the answer to your question, nor do I know who Michael Kent is or anything about him.

However, I do remember a memo written by André Dosé asking employees to report cases of corruption. Have you approached anyone yet, either anonymously or otherwise?

I am also curious to see if Managment will keep to their word in addressing this "black hand" issue.

Panama Jack
30th May 2007, 09:06
So in summary:

Click here (http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/movie_sounds/sounds_files_20070211_107389/airplane/cheats_and_liars.wav) ;)

Fay Jinah
30th May 2007, 09:43
So who else is sharing the take with Michael Kent? Anyone in Marketing?

awss2
30th May 2007, 09:50
I assume whoever replaced HOMO in Marketing, there is a english lady there she doing all contracts.:bored:

jackbauer
30th May 2007, 09:51
PJ, I respect your moderation when posting about the current situation in GF and believe you speak the truth on most of the issues. However do you really believe that after all the misinformation and contradictions that these guys can be trusted? I for one have lost all trust in them and am not prepared to put my career and future on the line. After a long time in this airline and a history of supporting the company, feel it's time to move on. What credibility do they have now? They came with all the wrong credentials for the job and were soon exposed as not being up to the task. They will blame everyone else rather than take responsibility. If the only thing we get is some cheap childish catch phrase "Yes we can do it" then I'm afraid we need to man the life boats and let them re-arrange the deck chairs for themselves. In short we cannot believe them anymore.

awss2
30th May 2007, 09:57
We can do it!

Do what?

CI100
30th May 2007, 10:35
Before:

Very shortly, we will present you a new business plan. No fancy name or a catchy slogan, but a practical blue-print based on which we can fix our problems step-by-step.

Now:

Together, we can do it.

Fay Jinah
30th May 2007, 11:00
If we can't do it my name is not Fahjina!:E

mogley
1st Jun 2007, 10:23
I believe the M Kent is also on the board of a big catering company. So if they don't get rid of him then you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of new mangement we have & plan/run accordingly.

jackbauer
1st Jun 2007, 11:33
Mike, change the record about MK will ya!! It's getting like you have a personal vendetta against him and starting to sound silly. Don't use the forum to target a guy like that and make personal insults and accusations. The problem we have now is with management in general not just one individual.

Fay Jinah
1st Jun 2007, 11:41
Out of the million, how much money Gf looses on a daily basis thanks to the poor management of its departments by incompetents like M kent?

We can do it?

GAGing in Bahrain
1st Jun 2007, 12:28
Looks to me like Mike isn't the only one out for MK's blood!

Fay Jinah
1st Jun 2007, 12:34
yes Mike you are starting to sound silly!:E

M kent is a great guy, savvy and wise with so much culture...so wise that all the millions disappear without anyone seing them

boogie-nicey
1st Jun 2007, 13:34
In the current climate of good aviation activity throughout the world surely there should be no excuse for GF to be making a healthy profit. If you can't "make hay while the sun shines" then what are you waiting for a recession?

BTW I don't work for GF but corruption, stupidity or lack of management purpose just hacks me right off.

scanscanscan
1st Jun 2007, 16:10
Having worked for GF for 26years....IMHO I think Mike Hunt should be encouraged to say exactly what he thinks...providing he can prove it!
Like Mike Hunt I reported corrupt GF staff generally expats in accounts between 1976 to 2000 and nothying was done about it.....except the locals seeing how easy it all was decided to do corruption better.
If the new management fail to take action to investigate this man then like previous management they are either part of the corruption problem or totally powerless to manage the airline properly.
Presently GF is in this mess because of a policy of positive discrimination which empowered local nationals to positions where they did a lot of damage not least the Captain and copilot of the A320 that crashed and also due to a biger failure to stop financial corruption...GF is today an East African Airways situation all over again and they LIQUIDATED as a result.

Fay Jinah
1st Jun 2007, 16:26
Scan scan you are right, if Mike hunt can prove it all the better, but M kent needs to be investigated for malpractice and I believe misappropriation of funds him and that Omar guy wearing the van laak shirts.

My belief is though that the boat is bigger, Expacts in high positions also mostly corrupt and taking part in all contracts needs to be seen and inspected. The Bahrainis are there to make it easy with wasta....

and the crash was a result of corruption and if the new team cannot stop the current problems GF is heading for another one much to the pleasure of the other carriers in the regions that are already rubbing their hands at the prospect.

Everybody seems to be looking the other way and creating problems where they actually do not exist. The truth is corruption has to cease.

Icarus
1st Jun 2007, 16:43
Well you can all have your say via the Kroll web-site which becomes active on Sunday to report all the abuse/misue and fraud you like. Frankly, I believe all it will achieve will be a forum for the useless to try to finger everyone they don't like in feeble attempts to save their own skin (read job).

Joe Monsoon
1st Jun 2007, 19:49
What can we do this airline is still full of these mafia types. I just Mr Kent would let me play with his thingy(like he did for Mr KH-C/c recrutment) & I could get a postion. Gotta learn how to suck better if your wanna join MK gang.

jackbauer
2nd Jun 2007, 07:07
Just like I said before MH, you take childishness to a new level. This forum should be for grown ups only.

E Tops
2nd Jun 2007, 10:08
Jack, MH ain't the only one. Just thinking what a waste of time it is looking at any GF threads nowadays. They appear to be solely populated by people who hide behind the anonimity of their user names whilst slandering people without any shred of proof.

PS No I ain't a management poodle.

ironbutt57
2nd Jun 2007, 10:32
This whole thread is getting out of hand, and out of order, If you feel somebody or some dept. is out of order, then take appropriate action, and keep it off this forum...peoples livelihoods are at stake here, and a public forum is no place to air peoples initials, or GF's dirty laundry:=

fractional
2nd Jun 2007, 10:48
So if I ma bahraini and I want to work for Gulf Air, I should, this is our national airline and it is my right.
Right... Good post...:O

ironbutt57
2nd Jun 2007, 11:30
Then step up into his office and lay the accusations at his feet...or continue to cower behind your anonymity on this website..the choice is yours...I've only seen him once I am nobody's "poodle" as you so eloquently put it, but thanks anyway for the personal attack, right in line with all the rest of the rubbish you are posting here:ugh:

jackbauer
2nd Jun 2007, 11:41
MH you are turning into a spinless **** with the drivel you are posting. All unsubstantiated finger pointing which is so obviously a personal vendetta. Take it somewhere else, like to the ethics committee or something. You are losing support here with the childish rambling. 4HP needs to keep a close eye on your posts (I am) as they are close to being libel. In a previous life I dealt with the laws of slander/libel a lot and I can tell you that if you said

Let M Kent defend himself, the guy is corrupt, ignorant and a liar, and if you cannot see that, you are either his poodle or another white boy from the KKK as if intelligence was patented for whites only.

you wouldn't have a penny left for your childrens education. Cut it out or get another IP address.

Fay Jinah
2nd Jun 2007, 12:14
Ironbutt what is the problem with people posting here does it bother you?

ironbutt57
2nd Jun 2007, 12:19
No problem with people posting here at all, thats what Pprune is for right??? just dont see the point in mentioning specific names or initials deserved or not..:ugh:

Sal-e
2nd Jun 2007, 22:01
MH and FJ, you guys sound like the typical chicken sh*t guys out there who would rather do the most unproductive thing and whinge childishly without ever thinking of taking the first steps in rectifying your gripes. Man, you guys make pilots look bad.

Fay Jinah
3rd Jun 2007, 07:47
Sal-e with all due respect, I have a statement to make, and it may not be to your liking fair.

For you to say "unproductive" is not refuting my accusations but pretending not to see them. It is because of the likes of you that this airline today is in trouble, you don't see issues or pretend not to.

I am not a member of the British club, where it seems all alliances are made to run this airline on the basis of creed, and skin color and I have a problem with that.

Does that bother you? Or perhaps you approve of it because it serves your purpose to have such a forum where others' careers are decided around a pint of lager.

I have a bloody forum here and I will use to say what I know and until proven wrong or shown otherwise I will keep posting.

OK?

awss2
4th Jun 2007, 03:02
I would add Wendy's as one of the venues where decisions about this company's future are made, should say much about the nature of this quality management we're getting!

Sal-e
4th Jun 2007, 05:39
If not at the British Club or Wendy's, then air the gripes on Pprune? Good luck in forming alliances here then. May your mission be productive.
By the way, I'm neither white nor a member of any club....just a regular pilot who'd take my issues directly to those involved.

Fay Jinah
4th Jun 2007, 06:03
If I took your advice Sal-e then I should not speak of any issues that may be of great concern to me and others, but just talk to our "competent" Manager at GF.

What an innovative way of looking at things, I would have never thought of it, thank you for enlightening everyone on pprune with your brilliant ideas.

You have obviously been here long enough to know what happens to you when you divulge your concerns to management at GF...

God help GF if it's the likes of you that we are keeping, don't rock the boat for fear of being ejected and watch all that is wrong and pretend it ain't happening!

awss2
4th Jun 2007, 11:11
The sad truth is that some like Ironbutt and sal-e think that things work normally in this disfunctional airline, it also probably thanks to them that this airline is in the state it is in!:yuk:

Trader
4th Jun 2007, 13:23
Sorry, but Ironbutt does more than complain incessantly while doing nothing!!!!!!!! I know he's not particularly happy with the way GF has been run...and what does he do??????...he gets involved.......criticizes constructively......which is far more than most do.

Stratosphere6000
4th Jun 2007, 13:30
Yes cause a lot are smart enough to have realised that the way this company is run any form of criticism is seen in a negative light. Basically the minute you point out something they label you as a rebel or even worse don't even take into consideration what you're saying. So most have left or are leaving. Wonder why others keep on fighting the losing battle. Could be to do with limited options?

tbaylx
4th Jun 2007, 13:31
Yeah for all the trolling IB does here on these forums he also gets involved and actually tries to improve things. So if he's bitching about something he at least can say he's trying to do something about it.

tbaylx
4th Jun 2007, 13:40
I don't know about that Stratoshpere. I've sent quite a few emails to the COO lately about various different issues and my general lack of being impressed and he's always gotten back promptly and followed it up. I wouldn't have even bothered with the old management, but someone is at least reading the stuff i send in.

It's all stuff that should be included in captain voyage reports tbh, but no one seems to fill those out, and i'm not entirely sure that they get read by anyone.

Fay Jinah
4th Jun 2007, 14:18
Sorry but no one was informed of any task forces being set up.

So who is the genius behind this and why was it not communicated to everyone accross the organisation?

ironbutt57
4th Jun 2007, 14:30
At the end of the day with all the other higher-paying options around us, kind of makes you who is dysfunctional, myself and others, who at least see some light at the end of the tunnel and hope for the best, or guys who stay at GF, but hang around and bitch and moan about all of it??

Trader
4th Jun 2007, 15:35
The Ops Task Force was set up through the COO's office to collect and track suggestions, ideas etc etc.

Email [email protected]

Sal-e
4th Jun 2007, 15:56
"The sad truth is that some like Ironbutt and sal-e think that things work normally in this disfunctional airline, it also probably thanks to them that this airline is in the state it is in!"
Fagina and AwSS,
hmmmm....rather harsh accusations....dysfunctional airline.....thanks to the likes of us....!!
The COO had publicly invited those with issues to an open office for discussion. It has actually happened, and with results. Why don't you just take him up on that and try to prove him wrong? Bad experience from previous managements? You can not assume every management to be like their predecessors by default.
Emails are being answered promptly. CVRs are being replied to.....like never before.
A reasonable package is being formulated....one that is line with the cost of living index of Bahrain....more importantly, one that won't bust the bubble of a GF trying to recover.
Options are to leave or stay. I am obligated professionally to stay for a reasonable bond period. I shouldn't be wrong by doing so....and it has nothing to do with the fear of rocking the boat, Fagina!!
To be honest, I like it here. Nothing wrong with that either, is there?
There are better paying options south and east that could've easily afforded the bond balance. In fact, I was to be on the very first batch with EY because I more than exceeded their criterias. Decided against it in the end. Reason? I trully like it here, especially these exciting times.
GF will recover from this, mark my word. They will re-invent themselves, change the way they run things, and continue plodding along a new path until they get it right and until they re-establish themselves as a major player in the region.
The evidence of GF's need for recovery surrounds us. Bahrain is economically powerful for it's size. It is a financial powerhouse in a lot of countries' eyes, especially in the region. They're certainly wiser about investments because they're not resource-rich like their neighbours. Building projects for business and leisure continue endlessly. These obviously need to be filled. This simply means growth to me. And GF is an integral part of that growth.
There's nothing more thrilling in the aviation industry than being part of an airline that pulls themselves out of the proverbial ashes. Because it doesn't happen often and I have a lot of faith that little 'ole GF will.
You, on the other hand, don't even know that a task force had been formed for the purpose of voicing our concerns. I'm certain IB plays a part in that team. And what do you mean no one was informed about this group? They even mentioned it on the GDN (out of all places)!! Please, get your head out of your @rse buddy before mouthing off your bit.
The crap you've posted here is just that. Crap! Maybe you should take your crap to some other poor airline to put up with. Because I agree with the IB. You trully are dysfunctional to be hanging around people who are a lot more hopeful.

brassplate
7th Jun 2007, 11:18
Nice words Sal. Too late maybe. Wouldn't want AD and BN's jobs.

Capt Hair Y Balls
7th Jun 2007, 11:47
Sal-e,

It's good someone at least shows this management some trust and provides a slightly different opinion on this forum. Not that I agree with you but at least it provides a forum for debate.

I read your comments carefully but you failed to mention that this management was not acting this way from the start. They in fact came in "guns blazing" and attacked the pilots and cabin crew with threats of sackings (see GDN and their own announcements of 1500 expats to be sacked) when in reality the only real productive staff members in this airline are the crew (sorry Icarus, you too mate and a few others).
When the other 3 major airlines in the region all pitched up and started taking names down, Mr Naf and Co changed their tune. Mr Kooheji even publically contradicted himself as never saying 1500 crew would be sacked.

Now my question is how can you trust such management when they change their tune at the drop of a hat? How do you know that in 10-12 months as officially quoted by Naf on company email they wont sack you?

There obviously is an agenda on the horizon, most likely involving downsizing the airline and cutting costs in order to go public. Now that could be good and then again could be bad. Once this airline goes public it will be run wholy and truly by beancounters.

The good days of GF are over sadly my friend, I say this and it truly saddens me because I have spent several decades in the service of this airline. I have seen the good, the fair the bad and the ugly. I've seen the corruption the abuse the downright greed of those who "managed" this airline for years. Dont dream of magic recoveries to past glories, in today's market it's simply impossible with giants like EK, QR and the up and comming EY. These airlines can have GF for breakfast and still be hungry for brunch.

The present management team were not brought in to do a recovery, they were brought in to do the dirty work to whats comming.

Stratosphere6000
7th Jun 2007, 15:03
with giants like EK, QR and the up and comming EY. These airlines can have GF for breakfast and still be hungry for brunch.

Interesting comment. I think it sums up whats to come in terms of the airline business in the ME for the next few years....

Sal-e
7th Jun 2007, 21:19
CaptHYBalls,

It has nothing to do with trust in management. But it has a lot to do with what I think their intention was, which was:

1. to streamline the airline and
2. to restructure it's route for efficiency and productivity.

Of course, their intention and what actually happened ended up being two different things.

I look at intentions and hope for the best.

Capt Hair Y Balls
8th Jun 2007, 08:13
For those still interested, I was just told by a very high source outside GF that this management has managed to totally dimoralize GF and if masses leave they will pay the price.
The source was confident this management would not last more than 3 months in any case.

Icarus
8th Jun 2007, 08:59
This mangement are doing nothing more than what JH didn't do.

When JH came he stated there were only two ways to go; downsize and restructure or spend your way out. He opted for spending.

Now that has not worked as well as intended, the only option left is to downsize and restructure in order to become efficient and profitable.

Otherwise, it may as well be publicaly stated and committed to by the Government - GF we dont care if you lose money, we dont care if you are inefficient and unproductive, we dont care if the public have little faith in you, we dont care, we dont care, we dont care, we will fund you until the sun don't shine anymore.

The demoralisation of the staff if predominantly through lack of coherent communication, confusing messages and no visibility of the restructuring team, and of course a package that is a long way from the majority of staffs (unrealistic, extravagant, irresponsible and immature) expectations.

ironbutt57
8th Jun 2007, 09:40
Took GF a long time to get into this situation, might take more than a couple months to get it turned 'round...wait and see... there's a light at the end of the tunnel...it's either the other end and the promised land of profitability, or the oncoming train to destruction...time will tell:hmm:

brassplate
8th Jun 2007, 10:04
I don't even look at management. The last paycheque was on time, the next one probably will too (with the 200bd increase) and the one after that with the new scale (woohoo!!). I'm not demoralized in the least. C'mon guys, let them do their jobs and we do ours. And if that light at the end of the tunnel is a train, so be it. We'll just move on.
Ignorance is BLISS.

Fay Jinah
8th Jun 2007, 10:49
That is the problem brassplate, see if you cared a bit more then perhaps this airline would be better, but you obviously don't

CI100
8th Jun 2007, 11:22
""I'm not demoralized in the least.""

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Did you know that Gulf Air borrowed money last month (solid fact) from Standard Charter bank just to pay the salaries?

How.........
Demoralized
Dispirited
Deflated
Depressed
Discouraged
Disheartened
Are you Now?

scanscanscan
8th Jun 2007, 13:56
And do you know how much that Bank and other Banks have already lent to GF and not yet got back?
This Bank obviously thinks GF as a company will pay them eventually...but do not feel the same about GF staff loans....What happens when the Banks decided to stop digging?
When Chartered Bank closed down in Iran years ago expats with accounts there were reported to have lost all their deposits as the Iran branch was ring fenced
from the parent company who simply said "Tough"....is the Bahrain branch also ring fenced?
If it is...best get your funds immediately moved to a place or Bank where you have depositor protection....be a shame to lose your owed holiday money from GF if it liquidates also indemnity and your money in the local banks and be pursued for your bonds by the liquidators.
Still very hopefull it will not happen....but why put your dick on the.. I hope line?
Fail safe and load a couple of extra tons....liquidations happen sometimes.

Fay Jinah
8th Jun 2007, 14:07
Sorry guys, but today is the day of the saviour so I am going to have a nice stiff.......drink at wendy's with all my gay friends who decide on Gulf air's future, care to join me?

GAGing in Bahrain
8th Jun 2007, 14:19
Not to get too far off topic but I can tell you that most of the "big named" banks are separately owned subsidiaries. Citibank for sure, as I have asked about their policy of "Force Majeure" and was told corporate (Citibank-NY) will not reimburse funds "lost" at other off-shore Citibank units due to "Force Majeure". They suggested opening accounts in your "home country" for safety.

brassplate
8th Jun 2007, 14:50
Fay jinah,
you mean if little me cared a bit more, GF will be saved? Good one!
Am I demoralised yet, CI100? Nope. Like I said, ignorance is Bliss! And I don't care how they get our salaries, as long as they pay it, which they have done a million times.
To put it all into perspective, I only care about doing my specified job as best and as professionally as I possibly can. As for the periphery, I don't see any. There is people there I'm sure who are paid to do their jobs.
If the house of cards come tumbling down, this little card will find a new deck, and you know there's plenty of those around.
So my advice? Do your job, save a bit of money (in case next pay, if ever, is delayed), and be ready to move on quickly if it all falls over.

MikeHunt
8th Jun 2007, 16:24
Oh brassplate you are unique...but not irrepalceable

CI100
8th Jun 2007, 16:39
>>>>> as long as they pay it, which they have done a million times. <<<<

So, Lets say: they were paying you 1 BD per month, you are telling us that you have recieved 1,000,000 BD and still working for Gulf Air?

Just something to laugh about.....:cool:

brassplate
8th Jun 2007, 22:34
MikeHunt,
gee, well done. You've just described every pilot in the world. Grow up man.
LMAO @ CI100 hadihahaha.

brassplate
10th Jun 2007, 10:14
Give me any ligit reason for me to leave without paying the bond and I'll be outa here like a shot. If the airline folding is one of them, I'll take it. Besides, there's better parts of the world to work in and the ME is definitely not one of them.

jackbauer
10th Jun 2007, 10:20
Brassplate, and everyone else, it's time to ignore posts by M. Hunt. He is not even a pilot with GF and his opinion not worth the bandwidth it consumes. Reactionary and idealistic sums the guy up so don't take the bait!:yuk:

Spirit
10th Jun 2007, 10:35
Did anybody ever bring the legality of the signed bonds before a lawyer, and if so, what was the answer?

Please support any possible answers with references to applicable paragraphs in the Bahraini Labour Law

jackbauer
10th Jun 2007, 11:57
Like I said before you are best ignored at this stage. Do you know what the P's in PPrune stand for? Clue is you are not one, so if anyone should switch off it's you, go back to your kitchen like a good little chef!

E Tops
10th Jun 2007, 12:03
Mike,

On the subject of being 'Pro Active', I hope you reported your various slanderous ramblings on the 'Kroll' web-site with proof!!!!:(

Sal-e
10th Jun 2007, 12:19
Any update on the new package anyone?

point8four
10th Jun 2007, 12:57
Popular Rumour has it that the "package" is being presented to the board on Wednesday? TBC......?
I trust it will be presentable or the handles are going to get pulled in a hurry.
(Know of 3 resignations in my humble circle of friends with more looming, sad but true)

CI100
10th Jun 2007, 13:01
The only thing I heard was 125 BD per child per month. (with that you are responsible for their education, etc.....)

if that is the case it will be 1500 BD/yr

St. Ch.... is 751 BD per term for a total of 2253/yr which will leave you with 753 BD still short.

:ok:

E Tops
11th Jun 2007, 04:39
Jack, it would be very interesting to see what MH's comments would be, if he were to get Named and Shamed (as he should if there is any justice in this world!!!) on this web site. But I suppose that would be getting as Low and Petty as he is.:ok:

jackbauer
11th Jun 2007, 06:37
Well it looks like MH has already started to delete his posts. Spineless as we all suspected.

awss2
11th Jun 2007, 08:40
Let's see maybe you scared him....Jack?

MikeHunt
11th Jun 2007, 09:51
Since few of you want to read or care about what I write, I've decided to leave it for you to see with your own eyes....no need in upsetting the GGF folk, since after all they seem to know what they are doing, and that is probably why they are there now.

Take care everyone and happy flying for however long that is going to be....:\

Capt Al Fakhem
11th Jun 2007, 10:41
Errrr I think it'll be till the end of September till we go to EK/EY/QR thank you very much.;)

PS. Loved the title on page 11 in todays GDN. "Gulf Air gearing up for the summer traffic" Yep that would be all the pilots and cabin crew packing up and leaving bahrain :O

MikeHunt
11th Jun 2007, 12:30
They just forgot to mention that Bauer will be staying oversee it...:rolleyes:

vfenext
11th Jun 2007, 12:38
Hey Hunt, do the world a favour and throw your keyboard in the bin!

MikeHunt
11th Jun 2007, 12:44
Boy that would be more expensive than all the flegm I shot down Bauer's throat...

I suggest we meet, fancy a drink when I am next in Bahrain, we can have a pprune bash!

What a wonderful opportunity to meet all these great guys from GF...

vfenext
11th Jun 2007, 13:07
You overestimate your popularity mate.

MikeHunt
11th Jun 2007, 13:32
Don't worry, I'll let you organise it, fancy making it at the british club, I'll bring my St George's cross.

Sal-e
11th Jun 2007, 17:58
So, this Wednesday then? I thought it was two Wednesdays ago. What is it about Wednesdays anyway? I fear the delay with the local's retirement/retrenchment deal will only delay ours to Wednesday next week! Again! Is there ANYONE who has a definitive answer to this? As brassplate put it nicely, the "brain-drain" continues.

ironbutt57
11th Jun 2007, 18:14
Mike Hunt....does the phrase "wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire" bring things into perspective??? Dont wait for us to meet you....(paging Mr Mike hunt...has anybody seen mi khunt???)

brassplate
11th Jun 2007, 18:27
Mr Moderator, please remove M HUNT from this thread. He is hijacking perfectly good discussions with his CRAP!

Did someone mention Wednesday for the announcement of "the package"?

Sal-e
11th Jun 2007, 19:18
You mean the letter dated the 4th this month? Why didn't he release it on the 4th then, I wonder? Hesitations.
That puts the roadshow this week sometime. Isn't a roadshow something that's done somewhere other than home base? Maybe because the 'others' had their roadshow so we must also...hmm...keeping up with the Jones eh.

Spirit
11th Jun 2007, 20:36
Well, they've got to call it something, and after the last pilot meeting, nobody will bother showing up, if they re-use that phrase...hence: Roadshow.

Me thinks...:8

MikeHunt
11th Jun 2007, 20:45
Don't say I did not give you a chance to meet up.

Or would you prefer JJ's

SCATANA
11th Jun 2007, 21:12
I have to say in the past two months, every single F/O I flew with said he's leaving.

A couple going to Europe, another to Arabia, one to Qatar and one to Emirates but most going to Etihad.

bus787
12th Jun 2007, 03:20
Is their anyone still interested in the GF package?

boeingdriverx
12th Jun 2007, 07:00
On the way out whe have also all these greek captains who were on contracts for the last years. They have just been notified that their contracts won't be renewed and they have until September or October to leave Bahrain. After so many years of good service this is a little harsh I think! I am even not greek or one of them.

And also we have the package offered by the Oman Government and Oman Air to the Omani Gulf Air pilot... Out of 90 guys 60 expressed their interess. After all in 2009 Oman Air is getting A330s and will fly to all these wonderful destinations in Europe like London (I am being a little ironic here)!

The next months are going to be quite interesting, I suggest Bjorn you revalidate your PPL with André somewhere on a Piper in Switzerland you might need it!

I don't know if your package will come tomorrow or next month, but for sure the more you wait the more people will leave. And even if you offer us millions of Bahraini Dinars (who thanks to the sinking dollars is everyday weaker) you have to understand that Gulf Air employees and their families are tired of having shock-treatment every 3 year when the management changes.

BD

CI100
12th Jun 2007, 14:42
well said

Even they match the salaries with EK, EY and QR
Even they match the housing
Even they match the school fees
Even they give us a brand new Benz

I no longer want to fly poor mtc'd airplanes
I no longer want to spend in a 39-42 cockpit temp.
I no longer want to spend 7 hours in lounges

Stability, Security of job can not be purchased with money or even a Benz.

Masalama.........

Capt Al Fakhem
12th Jun 2007, 14:51
Well said chaps,

Mr Naf you can take your package and stick it where the sun don't shine

Al Fakhem
12th Jun 2007, 15:21
I love your highly imaginative forum handle, Capt Al Fakhem. Must have taken you months (four, to be exact) to work out .....:D

awss2
12th Jun 2007, 15:25
Guess it must be another one of those swiss moments.....:eek:

This airline is going down and going down fast....

Capt Al Fakhem
12th Jun 2007, 15:42
Well slap my ar$e and call me Susan, where did you come from? Is it true, another of the great Al Fakhem's here on Pprune????

You would'nt be aunt Josephine's wee Willy Al Fakhem by any chance would you? I did know that my great grand dad Major Cecil Al Fakhem did have a fling there in Asia for a while during the war but who would have guessed.

Good to hear from you me ol son. Stay in touch, us Al Fakhem's have have got to stick together;)

brassplate
12th Jun 2007, 17:22
LMAO @ spirit and the rest of you.
Well, it seems the package may be announced tomorrow. May be too late though as a lot have jumped ship and bonds.
AD was around HQ today with some camera men in tow. A lot of people at the lobby today, too. Ideas anyone?

Fay Jinah
12th Jun 2007, 17:24
Just another demonstration at the VIP entrance.....nough' said....:suspect:

awss2
12th Jun 2007, 17:32
employees demonstrating against "New redundancy package"

Al Fakhem Snr.
12th Jun 2007, 17:49
Hello Susan!:}

Oh well just another slapping good day in the pink palace I say!:E

May I suggest we change the menu in the canteen to reflect the flavour of the day?

Urine du jour
Fay Jinah pudding a la Mike hunt sauce
Charcoal fired Bahraini Kebabs in swiss cheese sauce
and to round it all off
Costa coffee entree with spotted dicks

MikeHunt
13th Jun 2007, 09:00
Senior, whatever....I am getting confused here with all these namesakes, can you please suggest something for those trolleys that circulate in the Pink Palace.

Sal-e
13th Jun 2007, 22:46
Guys, MHunt has managed to sabotage all the threads on GF. It may well be a tactic by someone who doesn't want these forums to continue (as a result of his stupid, immature, idiotic, and unrelated comments). Well I say we continue unhindered by his useless views as this is one of only a few places where our collective thoughts may assist us in formulating our own views of our industry in the region.

Fay Jinah
14th Jun 2007, 05:25
I totally agree with you sal-e just keep tracking and ignore him.

boeingdriverx
14th Jun 2007, 16:45
Lots of very good information ( again I am being ironic here) recently in our beautiful GDN about these gulf air employees who are offered to have an early retirement ( on a voluntary basis ) and go with a 'golden parachute' ( =lump sum of money ). Of course you guess the business: on one side too much money given on the other not enough and of course lots of buII****.

Put some protesting and striking in front of the pink palace and you get our current situation in Gulf Air... From what I understood these guys were asking for: 20.000 BD plus 2 month salary per year of service plus their GOSI thing and some other perks... Of course this request has been rejected! André wants to save money not spend of course! But nobody push them to leave their jobs! but of course so much $$$ and then stay home is quite tempting...

Again I am sorry we don't have a good union to sort out things. I know we are in the Middle East... Of course no news about our package. I guess I will be called during my standby this month as so many of my collegues are heading East for better job opportunities. I can't blame them.

BD

awss2
15th Jun 2007, 12:32
If the new management has not been able to root out the causes of this company's losses, then I guess they have joined the mafia or are unaware of the going ons; and in both cases, guilty as charged.

In golf, you drive for show but put for dough! and these guys are doing just that.

It's very easy to demonise the M hunts of this world but the reality of the matter is that most of you on this thread happen to be collateral evidence of no value.

wapses
15th Jun 2007, 14:02
Anyone have any idea what awss is talking about?? Collateral?? He/she's talking in riddles.

Gonzola
18th Jun 2007, 10:30
We are interested in chartering planes from Gulf Air for Charter between Sweden and Thailand with stop in Bahrain. Can you recomend this company or any other in the area

Fay Jinah
18th Jun 2007, 10:49
Sure! We have some 767's....:E

Desert_Storm
20th Jun 2007, 18:22
You gotta be kidding Gonzola. It seems to me that you are not very aware of the situation here. Anyway, if you wish, we can lease you the whole fleet (which is falling into pieces by the way) and as you seem a very nice guy, you can also take in the same package our entire management staff starting with Mr. D, Mr. N and the entire administrative personnel. Good luck :O