PDA

View Full Version : KLM MD11 emergency landing

Capt.KAOS
3rd Apr 2007, 08:12
A KLM MD11 (flight KL763) has made an emergency landing in Shannon because of fuel shortage. It was underway from Willemstad (Curacao) to Schiphol Airport when the pilot discovered the fuel shortage. It was too late to return to Willemstad and the pilot decided therefore to make an emergency landing in Shannon to refuel. The 294 passengers arrived safely on Schiphol with 2,5 hours delay.

needles
3rd Apr 2007, 08:23
Are refuelling stops are now classified as "emergency landings"?
:ugh:

Doug the Head
3rd Apr 2007, 08:36
Are refuelling stops are now classified as "emergency landings"? That all depends on how much fuel you've got left upon landing...

Wanabee,Gunnabee,Am
3rd Apr 2007, 08:43
KLM's definition of Emergency landing is if you plan to land with less that final reserve.

Capt.KAOS
3rd Apr 2007, 09:29
I used the phrase emergency landing, not sure how KLM will call it. My appologies if I used the wrong technical phrase.

It is strange though that the MD11 left Willemstad with apparently insufficient fuel to reach it's original destination.

B767-383
3rd Apr 2007, 10:04
If you depart with minimum required fuel, do not get your requested flight level and have less tail wind than expected, then a fuel stop is a real possibility.

Bearcat
3rd Apr 2007, 10:41
There is also a possibility where the error chain was breached and it has happened regulary. Example crew asks for 76tons of fuel...rush rush...sh@t they see they have 67tons of fuel on taxiway and no fuel leak confirmed.. One can depart and reclear on rte....just gets a bit tight. ...lot of writing to do and if you have to drop into SNN en route so be it.

Most important...the flight landed safely....

barrowboyblue!
3rd Apr 2007, 10:46
Seems this thread is a ''dead duck'' until we get some hard facts....:uhoh:
.... anyway back to Jet Blast....

Huck
3rd Apr 2007, 11:26
There are a few scenarios on the MD-11 that result in a loss of tail fuel management, with consequent shifting of CG to a much more forward position. Fuel burn goes up, and pilots have to stop short.

fox niner
3rd Apr 2007, 14:30
The flight departed with enough fuel. For the oceanic crossing, it probably did not get its intended route, econ mach nr. and flight level. Ended up on the other side of the atlantic with enough fuel to make it to AMS, but not enough to comfortably make a diversion from ams to another field.

Non-event.

NigelOnDraft
3rd Apr 2007, 14:41
Without further info, and given the (now admitted) hysterical title to the thread, maybe they took-off knowing they would / might need to call in at EINN? Our SOPs allow "replan enroute" if fuel is tight, using the intended destination as the Flt Plan dest. If at the "replan" point, not enough remains, then we call up and arrange a pitstop.... i.e. we can depart with not enough fuel to make dest with usual div/reserves etc., but reassess later on.
This might be due unusual high load / strong headwinds or MEL issues...

kooyheier
3rd Apr 2007, 14:46
According to a spokesperson from KLM the flight left Willemstad with the sufficient amount of fuel. But due to a stronger than forecast headwind and the fact that they didnt get the level they wanted it resulted in a refuel stop in Shannon.

As fox niner was saying... a non-event.

:cool:

Granite Monolith
3rd Apr 2007, 15:08
Always blame the weather!

fox niner
3rd Apr 2007, 15:11
No, No....

I blame Capt. KAOS for coming up with such a rediculous title for a subject that is a complete non-event.

Moderators, please remove this thread.

Granite Monolith
3rd Apr 2007, 15:18
Well, before this gets moved, let me point out a little, annoying spelling mistake:E

rediculous

Thanks;)

merlinxx
3rd Apr 2007, 16:17
'tis obvious this guy is not in the industry, I can't be bothered to try & explain re-clear/re-release etc to this numty. Capt KAOS stay in yr regi spotters box.

barit1
3rd Apr 2007, 21:03
Sir Freddie's DC-10-10's were marginal on the westbound LGW-JFK route and, as I recall, filed to Bangor, Maine. Then if all went well (winds, traffic etc.) they would refile direct JFK.

If a fuel stop became necessary they took the opportunity to clear customs at Bangor, thus arriving JFK as a domestic flight. So - the total time lost was minimized for pax.

Does anyone have statistics re how often they had to refuel, vs refiling direct JFK? :confused:

Avman
3rd Apr 2007, 22:03
Actually merlinxx, I'd like to think that the average spotter does know the diference. Don't lump them all into one basket. Anyway, Capt KAOS has already apologised and I trust he will be a little more careful how he phrases things in the future. Who knows, maybe he wants to become a newspaper reporter and was just practising :)

HotDog
3rd Apr 2007, 23:04
I like his nom de plume; Stercus Accidit. "Sh!t happens"