PDA

View Full Version : PPL Hour Building

cavok86
2nd Apr 2007, 15:50
Hi,
I am a newly qualified PPL and I am looking at ways to get hours in my logbook without having to bankrupt myself in the process. I am about to finish university and when I do I want to get my flying back on track and I will hopefully be thinking about my ATPL ground school in the not too distant future.

Something that has been mentioned to me is parachute dropping, is that a realistic option for me to get involved in for hour building? Do I need any special ratings or qualifications for it?

Aside of parachute dropping does anyone have any other suggestions for hour building on a PPL? I am based in south Manchester and trained out of Barton.

All suggestions welcome!
Thanks,
Cavok86.

Gingerbread Man
2nd Apr 2007, 16:34
I'm not sure about special ratings but I believe the parachuting school at Langar in Nottingham wanted a LOT of hours experience before you start chucking people out of their aircraft. It's also a Caravan so would require a turbine rating (i think?). Other clubs may be different though, keep looking. Also, if you find a cheap way of flying on a PPL, let me know!

Ginger ;)

BackPacker
2nd Apr 2007, 16:35
Search the forums. The question comes up every now and then.

The two most researched options are parachute dropping and glider towing. Within a club environment, those are the two things that the CAA allows others to pay for your flying, instead of having to share, at minimum, an equal part of the cost like normal PPL flying.

But experience has shown that parachute and glider clubs do not want new PPLs to do these kind of jobs. They are looking for people who
- Have experience with the activity involved. Eg. 100 parachute drops yourself, or a Diamond C in gliding (whatever that is)
- Have at least a few 100 hours experience as PIC
- Are willing to commit a serious amount of time to the sport, since the conversion/checkout to flying a high-powered parachute drop plane or a glider tug is a serious investment.

Doesn't prevent you from trying to find a place to do that though. But if your only motivation is "I want to build hours for free", I doubt whether a lot of clubs will take you on board. There's no shortage on people who want to build hours for free...

maxdrypower
2nd Apr 2007, 16:42
I m currently going through the hour building mill whilst at BGS , I have bout 160 at the moment and enquired at a few para and gliding clubs . I was told by the majority that a minimum of 300hrs is required beofre they will consider a ppl. They are also liking people who will commit their lives to the season and be available pretty much everytime the wx is spot on ,I personally work full time so that is not possible . If you wanna build hours have a word with one of the aircraft grouping peopel at barton and fly a 152 for 45 per hour or a spanking new 172 for 65 and hour ,

londonPilot
10th Aug 2009, 14:18
Guys,

you need an SET rating on a C208, some places do use other craft but they tend to be Multi Piston.

You will need generally at least 350 hours in your book plus the rating. You then need to get a PDRC and do a BPA course and a checkride with an authorised examiner.

Insurance can be a sticking point, but once your online its a satisfying albeit , hard way to pay for building turbine hours!

5 Things i would recommend to the aspiring drop pilot.

-Right Hand Seat if you can on lifts
-Get an MEP / SET (c208) and an IMC rating
-Ensure you are happy handling complex single heavy aircraft
-Dont come in with a big attitude it will get you no where.

Cheers