PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough Radar/LARS

alan340
2nd Apr 2007, 13:30
Hello,

I was wondering if there are anyair traffic controllers out their who know about the LARS service that Farnborough provides? I would like to know more about the specifics of the position such as the maximum altitude/flight level of the service, local procedures concerning the Farnborough Clutch airfields etc.

You can PM me if you wish to continue this topic away from the forum if thtat would be easier.

Many thanks,
Alan

Pierre Argh
2nd Apr 2007, 13:37
You haven't thought of phoning Farnborough and asking them... surely they can give you the most reliable information?

whowhenwhy
2nd Apr 2007, 16:17
Alan, Farnborough are the LARS provider in our part of the world, using 125.250MHz. Theoretically they operate out to 35nm (any civvies around please correct me if I'm wrong), although realistically because of other units in the area (BZN, BDN, Thames etc) they probably operate out to about 25nm radius to the west, about 10nm east and then up to the base of CAS.

They can also provide an Odiham MATZ crossing service to any ac that require it, although military ac have to have the permission of Odiham ATC (this can be done on land-line between Farnborough and Odiham). The Farnborough clutch airfields are Farnborough, Blackbush, Fairoaks and Lasham (don't think there are any more).

Hope that helps. :ok:

SonicTPA
2nd Apr 2007, 17:51
Dunsfold and Odiham are clutch airfields too.

There are quite a few of us on here who can give you more information, but could you be more specific on what information you want?

Sonic

intherealworld
2nd Apr 2007, 22:38
odiham and dunsfold are in the clutch too

Talkdownman
2nd Apr 2007, 23:01
It's published in:

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/2010603.PDF

Chevvron may be along shortly to provide some local nitty-gritty.

whowhenwhy please note that Thames is not a LARS unit.

alan340
3rd Apr 2007, 05:59
Thank you for the information you have all provided.

I am also interested in the workings of the position i.e. handoffs - when and with who, how the aircraft are handled coming from TMA to Farnborough, how the aircraft are all sequeneced for the clutch airfields considering their close proximity.

Any more information on how Farnborough works would be great.

Alan

PS I am away for about a week so sorry if I am slow to reply.

whowhenwhy
3rd Apr 2007, 17:02
Talkdownman, I do realise that Thames is not a LARS unit and I didn't say that they were - apologies if my post was ambiguous. I simply suggested that they were one of the ATSUs in the area that would take traffic off Farnborough inside 35nm from their overhead.

Alan, if you ask Farnborough I'm sure that they would say that sometimes the handoff from TC does not go particularly well. 3 weeks ago there were 3 ac within about 7nm of the Odiham overhead between 5-8000ft inbound to EGLF.

As far as the other airfields are concerned, generally Odiham works its own traffic - although often Farnborough will initially speak to ac coming through the heli-lanes. For the other airfields, Farnborough will initially work the traffic until visual with the airfield and then switch it to the tower frequency.

Talkdownman
3rd Apr 2007, 18:48
But Thames Radar does not have an 'overhead' !

whowhenwhy
4th Apr 2007, 17:23
TD, if you were in the RAF you could have a career as an ISS tutor dear boy. Having re-read my post I see what you mean, but you also know what I meant. I've had a trying week, a little sympathy and understanding wouldn't go amiss. :{

lippiatt
4th Apr 2007, 18:12
A trying week at Odiham??!!

Your 'avin a laff!

Did you run out of biscuits or were the papers late? - Can imagine how hard that must be without any cabs to play with.

norvenmunky
4th Apr 2007, 18:25
aaaawwww lips...you've done it now, this could turn into i can pi$s further than you thread!

lippiatt
4th Apr 2007, 18:30
Yeah but WWW does complain in another thread that this place is a bit boring - so what the heck!

I heard that Farnborough controllers think all the Odiham lot sleep all day, thats why they don't phone them with MATZ crossers!!

:} :}

chevvron
5th Apr 2007, 08:52
Farnborough theoretically operates the 'standard' LARS envelope 30nm radius sfc - FL95, however as the base of regulated airspace within 30nm is generally less than this, the maximum level is rarely achieved. As has been said, there is overlap with adjacent LARS units Brize (H24) and Boscombe Down (weekdays only 9-5 approx). Other non LARS units such as Lyneham, Northolt, Benson, Southampton and Thames/Heathrow also give/receive radar handovers. Farnborough is delegated the responsibility of Odiham MATZ penetration, although operational control always remains with Odiham ATC. Odiham may often delegate their 2nm radius ATZ penetration during periods when there is no flying in progress.
Mention has been made of 'clutch' procedure, the airfields affected being Odiham, Lasham, Blackbushe, Fairoaks and Dunsfold. The purpose of these procedures is to ensure that aircraft inbound to or departing from these airfields via the airways system can be co-ordinated through one ATC unit, although having said that, Odiham are usually permitted 'control' of their own airways traffic as they have their own approach radar unit.
Anyone who thinks Odiham ATC go to sleep when there's no flying obviously doesn't know that ALL RAF ATC staff have 'secondary duties' which adequately fill up any downtime, whether it's secretary of the station golf club or something less important.
As regards arrivals off airways; from the south, we presently get a phone call from terminal control asking for an acceptance level, whilst from the north, a 'standard' acceptance level of 5000ft (transition level sorry ALTITUDE [thanks TDM] 6000ft) is agreed with no phone call involved. Departures all have to be approved by terminal control, and when airborne are transfered to them en-route to the first point on their standard departure route and clear of conflictions.

Talkdownman
6th Apr 2007, 05:45
.........Transition ALTITUDE, Chevvers!

whowhenwhy
6th Apr 2007, 17:28
I didn't say what had been trying, as you say, it's certainly not the plethora of cabs and exertion of the dynamic controlling environment - although I am beginning to wonder when the normal committee to spoil the weekend are going to start their proceedings.

Many thanks for the support Chevron! Obviously I'd love to say something witty, but whereas I started the other thread whilst under the influence, I'm replying to this one whilst suffering from lethargy induced by sunbathing all afternoon. It's a hard life :E

AlanM
6th Apr 2007, 17:41
OOhhh.... another four gliders in the ATZ.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:

lippiatt
9th Apr 2007, 23:15
No Sir Alan - I'm afraid I don't think they would have noticed so it might go something like this.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

buzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Whats that?" - Previously slumbering flight prevention bloke / chappess
"Thats the 5pm alarm sir / sarge / ma'am / flight" - Heroic FOM / FOA type chappy / chappess
"Bu**er - I've overslept by 2 hours" Previously slumbering flight prevention bloke / chappess swiftly (for once) exiting the tower.

whowhenwhy
10th Apr 2007, 16:57
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that that is a painfully accurate representation. Going back to sleep now.......................