PDA

View Full Version : Sport Pilot qualifications in Canada?

Bendo
2nd Apr 2007, 09:01
G'day Gents,

I have a student here in Australia who is shortly returning to Saskatoon.

He has been training under our Recreational Pilot Certificate program, which is just like an ICAO PPL except that it limits you to <544kg and 2 POB. The plan was that he would convert his Rec. Pilot Certificate to a PPL before returning to Canada but events have overtaken him.

Is there a recreational/sport pilot equivalent qualification in Canada and can it be converted easily to an ICAO PPL?

Thanks guys :ok:

BeechNut
2nd Apr 2007, 21:52
There is a recreational pilot permit in Canada. You can fly a non-high performance aircraft that is designed to have no more than 4 seats, maximum one passenger, day VFR only.

Not sure how easy that is to convert to a PPL in other countries. In Canada it takes 25 hours total training time, 15 hours dual, min. 2 hours cross-country dual and 5 hours cross-country solo.

A Canadian PPL is min. 45 hours total time, 17 hours dual of which 3 hrs x-country and 5 hours instrument time; 12 hours solo with 5 hrs x-country which includes a 150 n.m. x-country with two full stop landings at another airfield other than the point of departure.

Few people get their permit/licence in the minimum times. I remember when I did mine 26 years ago, a very long winter of about 3 months with no opportunity to fly due to crappy weather played hell with my training.

Beech