PDA

View Full Version : VS return to JNB

Nigel PAX
1st Apr 2007, 19:45
I was on the VS602 (from JNB to LHR) on 30 March that had to return to JNB 75 minutes into the flight because of the discovery of 'incorrectly loaded baggage'. Fuel had to be dumped and the flight returned to JNB, eventually setting off again perilously close to the crew's flying hours limit. I assume this means that the bags of no-show pax had not been off-loaded before take-off. One annoyed passenger apparently got obnoxious to the F/As and was offloaded by Johannesburg's finest when we got down.
Eventually, the resumed flight was diverted to LGW because the usual LHR delays would have caused the 3-man flight desk crew to have exceeded their hours. This was obviously very inconvenient to all concerned (I got home 6 hours later than expected), and I assume it must have cost the airline tens of thousands of pounds (or is it even more?). I don't suppose LGW sees many A346s, either.
Presumably the error was made a ground handling agent -- does this happen often? I've not had it happen before, and nor had the F/As. Did Virgin deal with it any differently to any other airline?
Incidentally, from the perspective of SLF, I thought all the crew did a great job.

Flight Detent
2nd Apr 2007, 01:58
You mean you weren't expecting to be late arriving at your destination flying in an A340!!!

SpootNICK
2nd Apr 2007, 11:32
It occurs rather frequently.....well at least in my previous airline.

A pax is offloaded.....and the offload instructions are handed to the ground dispatcher, who then needs to find the relevent container and remove the passengers baggage. Ever so often the dispatcher forgets to remove the bags and the flight departs. The offloaded pax then makes a fuss when he discovers that his bags have not arrived on the belt. PANIC! The airlines ops centre is contacted and the said flight is asked to return. Now in my previous airline the head of security occasionally gave them dispensation to continue.....but 9 out of 10 times the flight was asked to return.

An expensive mistake yes, but i suppose we are all human.

SN

Captb747
3rd Apr 2007, 06:15
SpootNICK

Ever so often the dispatcher forgets to remove the bags and the flight departs.

Any dispatcher worth his weight would not let this happen...Forget everything else like the dispatcher is busy, not enough time blah blah....SAFETY COMES FIRST. it is of paramount importance.

It sounds to me like your old company,s standards are not all that great :confused: