PDA

View Full Version : NZ ATC Licences

JAEB
1st Apr 2007, 04:32
I trained in New Zealand and have worked in a regional tower (aerodrome and approach control) for the last couple of years. I'm looking for a change and would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas / experience of whether it's likely that I'd be able to find work in a regional tower in Europe, preferably Ireland or maybe England, and what's involved with converting the NZ licences?

mana
2nd Apr 2007, 19:38
I trained in France and have worked in a regional tower (aerodrome control) for the last couple of years. I'm looking for a change and would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas / experience of whether it's likely that I'd be able to find work in a regional tower in New Zealand, preferably North Island or maybe South Island, and what's involved with converting the French licences? :ok::)

Clown Fish
2nd Apr 2007, 20:29
JAEB -

New Zeland or the UK hmmm let me think... :) It would have to be ew Zeland for me if I had the choice!

conflict alert
4th Apr 2007, 10:00
JAEB

I have looked at a few postings overseas from NZ and my understanding with UK is that unless you have a link to the queen mother (ie you have someone in your family related in someway to the UK,which means you can get UK status) you won't even get a look in the door.

Jimmah
12th Apr 2007, 23:15
I for one would like to see an answer to the original question! Say, for example, one had a European passport as well as NZ?

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
7th May 2007, 03:47
JAEB I trained in New Zealand and have worked in a regional tower (aerodrome and approach control) for the last couple of years. I'm looking for a change and would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas / experience of whether it's likely that I'd be able to find work in a regional tower in Europe, preferably Ireland or maybe England, and what's involved with converting the NZ licences?

mana I trained in France and have worked in a regional tower (aerodrome control) for the last couple of years. I'm looking for a change and would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas / experience of whether it's likely that I'd be able to find work in a regional tower in New Zealand, preferably North Island or maybe South Island, and what's involved with converting the French licences?

Sounds like a good starting point for an exchange scheme.

mana
8th May 2007, 08:24
Ready to go for me :ok: , but I'm sure it won't be so easy for a french to ask for a job in NZ, and also for a Kiwi to work in France.:{

Maybe it could be possible very soon (with the common licence) to get a job in the UK for a French ... and then to ask for a job in NZ ;)

cottam approach
8th May 2007, 15:00
Surely once you found your way to the UK you'd want to stay??!!

mana
8th May 2007, 17:09
Why not, for a while, UK is also a sort of ... "Land of the long White cloud" :} (Aotearoa).

TWR ADI OJTI rated in France, if somebody could PM me the list of the airports where it's possible to work with those ratings in UK (I would appreciate also examples of wages in UK and the names of the ATC companies operating on these airfields )

bottom rung
8th May 2007, 19:23
So you want us to firstly provide you with all this info so you can come and waste the time of UK OJTIs before you swan off to NZ? :ugh:

cessnalee
9th May 2007, 10:31
i am a co-ordinator in South Africa. what is the likely hood of being employed by Airways NZ if a person does not yet have the ATC licence? And what is it like working as a flight data coord in NZ?

Tarq57
9th May 2007, 20:49
cessnalee, no chance at all, really, unless you're prepared to fork up the dosh for the course, and not be employed until after rating.
Flight data jobs come up occasionally, but not that often. Not that many FDA's any more, unfortunately.

badnerk
28th May 2007, 03:27
Hey New Zealanders...
What is life like there? Would you recommend moving there? I have heard that the pay is not great but I don't care much about that. What are the working conditions like? Is the mood in Christchurch ACC generally positive or negative?
More importantly to me, what is life like after work? Lots of outdoor activities to fill the days off with? Is it possible to get a house close enough to the centre to bike there? What about getting there with public transit?
Thanks in advance.

FUN.LEVER.FORWARD
28th May 2007, 03:44
Badnerk
Working conditions ok but probably going to deteriorate to due staffing shortages. Leave already getting short. Contract negotiations at delicate stage, could go either way.
Plenty to do outside of work-ski, surf, MTB, hill,mountains, sea, rivers, bars...
Housing getting pretty damned expensive.
Can bike to work form anywhere in the city, quite a few do, as the city generally flat. Wouldn't bother with public transit, cars are very cheap (second-hand).

Plenty leaving the company to work overseas, not many coming here though.