PDA

View Full Version : Command Prospects and the acceleration thereof

Threethirteen
30th Mar 2007, 00:29
Anyone have any ideas how I can improve my prospects for command within a UK Charter airline?
Looking for short- and long-term strategies, ie things to do on a daily basis and how to approach the bigger picture.
Clean replies only please.:hmm:

Clandestino
30th Mar 2007, 06:49
Just do your job as F/O properly. As for the acceleration of your career, there's nothing you as individual can do about it except to wait for nature to take its toll or for your employer to enlarge its fleet.

tacpot
1st Apr 2007, 09:58
Hi Threetirteen,

I think you can probably do better than Clandestino's advice, but I'm not the person to give you specific advice about how to get into a Command position. (I work in IT and fly for recreation).

But you're sat next to Pilots who have made it, and probably will be commenting on your performance to the Chief Pilot, so why not ask them?

Find the young captains and ask how they progressed quickly. Ask the older captains what they are looking for when assessing your performance. Ask them what are the 'little' things are that will get you noticed as being 'ready' for promotion.

Patience is probably a virtue; people wanting promoting before they are ready are a turn off. Find out how to spot when you are ready, and be prepared to stick with the airline even after you know you are promotable.The opportunities may not exist. Stay and ensure that your employer knows you are staying through loyalty and commitement to them, and I'm sure that the left hand seat will be yours.

Best wishes in your career.

tp