PDA

View Full Version : smoke

it.pilot737
29th Mar 2007, 16:50
hi, how do you manage smoke just after take off?..... and... if you have same abnormal eng indication, do you think about conditioning smoke from the relative pack?
And the smoke at cruise altitude? When do you take the non-normal ck list in your planned actions for this event?

Empty Cruise
29th Mar 2007, 19:08
Smoke - I always assume it will originate from an uncontrollable fire. So even though the aircraft I fly has no recall items for air conditioning / electrical smoke or smoke of unknown origin, it's masks on, establish comm, declare MAYDAY, sq. 7700, initiate emergency diversion, liaise with cabin - and then take the QRH.

If the QRH solves the situation 60 sec. later, then we're not considerably worse off than we were 60 sec. earlier. But 180 sec. better off than if we'd be if we had done the entire QRH in the cruise and it hadn't solved the problem :ugh:

Swissair 111 taught us some valuable lessons - and I abhor TRI/Es who treat the smoke drill in the sim as a QRH-reading drill. It's a CRM drill and should be treated as such - it makes for a great and simple LOFT-exercise, since you can let the crew deal with it in several ways, all of wich can lead to satisfactory outcomes (of course depending on what type of failure the exercise is built around :E )

Gullyone
29th Mar 2007, 19:47
I have seen people (in the sim) go through the complete QRH smoke drill which takes 30 mins when they could have been on the ground in 5mins. Madness.
The worst thing that can happen in an aircraft is smoke. get on the ground ASAP

Miserlou
29th Mar 2007, 20:03
I have tried smoke in cabin both in the sim and real life. The real life one was called to us by the stewardess as we were passing about 1000' and we declared the emergency, took the radar vectors and landed back 7 minutes later. Would have been sooner if it had been VMC. There wasn't time for any emergency checklist.

We had the full works in the sim with the smoke machine on. One guy on the emergency checklist only and one flying single pilot. It remains that way until completion of the checklist or start of final approach.