PDA

View Full Version : -Entering my last year- blues

Double Back
27th Mar 2007, 11:29
I am entering my last year as an airline pilot.
For a few years till now I thought, no matter how much I like the flying part of my job, that it was time to go. I couldn't care less if I they had me retired on the spot.

The life, the jetlags, the always from home missing important issues, my life governed by my roster, I had enough of it.

But now I have been hit hard by the hammer that tells me in one year no more X-wind landing a 744, no more nice hotels, no more surprising events, no more fun in some bizarre country with a youthful crew, no more sightseeing in countries one will probably never get to privately.
No more rostering to terrible destinations, that turned out to be unforgettable trips.

Get me right, I have enough hobbies, interests that can get me past 100 years of age, and some. That is not the problem.

I don't want to rate it as a crisis, but when I look at other pilots that went before me, I see some stunning things happening in a wide variety.

Guys that scr@w up a clean career by doing some stupid flying mistakes with retirement approaching, get divorced after all, (after a long marriage), do weird things.

What is going on in this last year, will be glad to hear about others......

upperecam
27th Mar 2007, 11:49
Hi, I retired just over two years previously, after an obsessive career when nothing but flying and aviation mattered. A truly wonderful time and yet on the very last flight it was just fine. I walked off into a new life that is every bit as full and rewarding. A super wife, dog and home and new things to learn and discover about myself and the world around me. I moved from town to country and slowed down to a pace that is still lively but now I control it. Without those wonderful flying days I would be lost but now they are a warm and solid memory that will always be there until I die. A much emptier life without those times and experiences. Now when I look up at a contrail in the sky, I nod and give thanks to have been there and to now hand over to others whilst I enjoy a new stage and adventure that is part of life and growing older. Enjoy all those opportunities denied when in harness. Best of luck and happiness.

:D :) :ok: ;)

Megaton
27th Mar 2007, 12:25
And that's what I call "perspective." Great posts. Long and happy retirements to both of you.

Double Back
27th Mar 2007, 12:47
Upperecam
That is what I guess, or hope, will be my case as well, but it is still quite sometime to go. Once I looked forward to it, now I am in doubt whether I should be joyful.
I enjoy my trips now more than I did last few years, maxing them out on all aspects. I will miss them for sure.
Yes and I DID forget emotions getting mixed with getting older in general, with its pro and cons....
Indeed I have retired friends that lead a full life with no problems, but although most want to swap with me once, if only for ONE trip....just to be there again...

Huck
27th Mar 2007, 13:07
My uncle Bill retired in 2004 after a long career that started in C-130 gunships in Vietnam and ended in 767's flying internationally.

He decided he wasn't through yet. He got a job flying a Learjet. He has since swapped jobs and now flies a Citation and a King Aire for a medical services company.

He's home most nights, off most weekends and loves his job. I've never seen him so happy. The pressure's off, I guess....

Anyway, good luck Double Back.

Prince Of Darkness
27th Mar 2007, 13:13
What a terrific thread! :D

I'm currently "computerising" all my flying log books. A task that is taking much longer than I thought, because of all the memories of names long past, and trips that, on reflection, were very varied in their enjoyment-level! :ok:

Despite all the trials and tribulations of a modern aviation career, I still realise that I'm very fortunate to be doing something I've always wanted to do.

For what it's worth, Double Back, I think you latched-on to what matters quite some time ago, whether you realise it or not.

Enjoy the last year; when my time comes, I hope I approach the end of my career with a modicum of your good grace.

P.S. Someone else will no doubt be able to point you (and I) to it, but Rick Drury wrote a fine piece about entering retirement. Anyone able to post it?

niknak
27th Mar 2007, 13:24
No more:
...going to bed at 10am, getting up at 4pm, living in a hotel room, waking up in a country so far from home it may as well be Mars, (occassionally) having to fly alongside people you don't know/don't like or who don't meet your own professional standards, worrying if the latest piece of legislation introduced to cover the 6 o'clock of the industry is going to land you in the dang, being called in on a standby shift an hour after going to bed.......
The list is endless.

There is absolutely no doubt that you've thoroughly enjoyed your time with us, but you've got to ditch it all sometime so do so when the first opportunity arises and all the best for thoroughly enjoying a real life!:ok:

Rainboe
27th Mar 2007, 14:09
Well my compulsory retirement age was 55. I was tired and half looked forward to it, although with a lot of concern- I'd lived aviation since I was 17, and wasn't sure how much else there was to life. I wanted my life back, and it was great....for about 3 months. Then the marriage was in trouble, and I started missing the life greatly. So after a gap, I went back to work and really enjoy it. It's what I do- I'm no good for anything else, and frankly, golf bores the living tears out of me. It's a life I like, and want to be in as long as they'll let me. I'm working hard to be fit in the hope I'll make it to 65- it keeps the mind sharp and the outlook young. Besides, have you seen how stonking expensive private aviation is?

bomarc
27th Mar 2007, 15:51
it is good that you are speaking of this subject, as it is never covered in flight manuals.

I stopped flying the line one day due to an injury...nothing terrible, but enough that I couldn't fly anymore.

No lead up to it, no thinking about it. Glad that my landing was on the better side of OK.

Done.

What do I miss? I don't miss crew scheduling...not one person.

I don't miss any of the mechanics...can't think of a single name...maybe one guy in STL went above and beyond and I will smile.

I do miss some of the flight attendents (girls) , the ones I think of were and probably still are genuinely nice, smart, and charming. (no I wasn't boffing them) Can't think of any of the boys.

I do miss chatting up with a pilot that I hadn't seen in years just walking through the terminal building.

I'll miss the human touches that some provided. I won't miss the well below Zero walkarounds in the snow.

I won't miss management who took my pension away while getting a bonus.

I won't miss how management got a retention bonus while thousands of my brothers were furloughed.

when I see a jet, I might smile...when I see a low cost carrier jet I blame them for many ills.

I haven't been in a plane for 5 years, yet I still know my emergency items by heart.

I promise you, that if you let it, the world of the ground has more delight than the world of the cockpit.

Double Back
27th Mar 2007, 18:08
I too will retire at 55, still very young and full of energy. Few years ago I would not even consider to try to get to another airline to roll out a few years longer, but I get to the point that I am looking through the last pages of FLIGHT, just curious, nuttin' else....

As Rainboe states, he got in trouble AFTER retirement, a thing that I also hear, even people get divorced áfter retiring. We too hear stories of guys who just sit home, do nothing else but sobbing over a lost life.

A state I don't want to enter, therefore I started this thread. At least talking about it can do no harm.
Anyway, it keeps me very busy the last months, my mind is running, I want to be prepared.

Indeed it is an area that I never saw any spotight upon, but now I am getting there myself, I am getting uneasy.

Sure, the time will come someday, be it at 55, 60 or 65, I know. That is not the problem, and I had a full career, nothing to be wanted left (OK, I always regret I missed my DC8 position...)

Dried ears
27th Mar 2007, 18:15
Just a thought on a different angle. My CPL/IR instructor was 69 years old, a retired military and then retired airline pilot. Obviously he had thousands of hours of multi faceted flight experience, and was also a CAA CPL examiner. Before him I had one or two younger instructors, and I am not saying they were bad, not at all, but they weren't as good, either, as him.

I can safely say that I learned more from my retired-airline-pilot-turned-instructor than was required in any book, and more about real world flying which is probably more important than passing the tests, which he got me through anyway. I don't mind admitting I am no ace pilot, and certainly was a poor student, but with a steady hand of experience teaching me I reckon I am ok now, certainly I am a safe pilot. Not to mention the fact that when we had a problem with the landing gear tsking off for one lesson (turned out to be nothing more than a display problem, but at 1000 feet, well you just aren't 100% sure are you?) he took it all in his stride, did everything which could be done, took control and landed lightly just in case. No drama except for the red lorries chasing us down the runway.

If I make it to 69 and am half as good a pilot as he, I'll pass a little knowledge and experience on, I'll try and remember this thread, and hopefully retire fat and happy.

foxmoth
27th Mar 2007, 18:25
Nice thing from my position is I was looking at 60 and I now have the option of extending to 65 so my aim is, get to 60 then start to cut down gradually. I also still instruct, so aiming to keep that going for fun as long as I can.:)

Albert Driver
27th Mar 2007, 18:42
Double Back. This is the advice I was given. It worked for me.

No matter how long you've been flying there will still be things you put off doing until you get an extra day off somewhere or the weather is better or you're not so dog-tired or you can persuade another crew member along, whatever. Make a list of them. Then make a list of your favorite places in the world you want to say goodbye to - places that mean something really special to you (yes, I know you can afford to go back after you retire, but do it now). Finally make a list of all the people in the airline around the world you want to say goodbye to (yes, I know right now they're sometimes a pain in the ar$e and you see too much of them but you _will_ miss them).

If you're honest with yourself the list will be several pages long - and a year is only just time to tick all the items off.

Then go do it. You'll be busy. You'll get a buzz. The year will fly by and......

....................when it happens, you'll be ready to let go and................

... ready to to play with all the other toys in the cupboard you tossed to one side when you discovered those flying things..........whatever they're called.

Oh! and this is really important, get the wife some flowers and and something with diamonds. Now! She's gonna be your new boss.

Albert Driver
27th Mar 2007, 20:49
One last thing:

Don't listen (just this once) to the Toxic Rainboe. Even he admits you have to retire some time.

Have you seen how long people live these days? The aim is to build a new life to fill the next forty years with as much fun as the last forty - but without the cr&p.

It's a lot easier to do that at 55 than at 65.

F4F
27th Mar 2007, 20:55
The lines above make one realize how fortunate we are in flying as a profession. Pure passion...

- live to fly - fly to live -

Soon to reach the half-century barrier, I'm alreary getting ready... tons of (aviation...) books, helicopter models to adjust, friends to visit all over the planet, trecks to share with my wife, TLC my private plane and fly over the place at my pace, all things I don't have time to do now, almost entirely commited to my work :hmm:

Take care and enjoy, life's short :cool:

adverse-bump
27th Mar 2007, 21:12
im at the other end of the scale. i am just begining my carear flying having just got my first job. its all been at bit of a blur so far, lots of work, but reading your post has made me remember why i got into flying in the first place. thanks and good luck.

GHNRY
27th Mar 2007, 21:12
Fascinating thread. I retired at 60 after a few years instructing, a few years in aerial survey and a quarter-century operating a corporate flight dept. I, too, wondered how the time would pass.

Since then I have played a lot of golf, done a lot of motorsport, learned the joys of vegetable gardening, registered with PPRuNe to try to contact some of my former contacts.

I miss the impromptu dinners when you have bumped into old friends in some foreign place; I miss overnight stops in nice hotels and nice restaurants with a nice company credit card in my pocket. I really miss some of the views from the big window at the front.

I do not miss getting up at 0400 on a winter morning, to leave home at 0500, to be at the airport at 0600 for departure at 0700.

I do not miss the extra bulls**t imposed by security measures, however necessary; and I do not miss the old days of waiting on a payphone for the Regulator - remember that?

I'm now 68, having a wonderful time, some involvement at my local grass airfield, and enjoying every minute.

It is going to happen, so appreciate your last years then step into the next phase of your life. If it's fun, enjoy it - if it's not fun, try doing it differently.

Good luck.

Kraut
27th Mar 2007, 21:17
Just a short addition:

Fly lowcost carrier some years before you intend to retire. It makes it easier to let go!;)

Feather #3
27th Mar 2007, 21:55
Great advice!!

I'm coming up to my last year and looking at going a few days after my 60th birthday which will give 40 years long-haul flying.

Love flying the aircraft and working with the crews, but the BS factor has gone beyond the edge for me [:ugh: ] and sleep patterns are a hassle.

Plenty to do in retirement, but a mate who's 65+ has just signed on as a Sim Instructor because he never wanted to retire and still has a lot to give.

As noted above, I'm organising my last year to revisit the stuff I've enjoyed with the many friends we've made world-wide, shedding Company responsibility along the way.

Sign a production contract for the new boat Friday...yippee!:)

G'day ;)

Double Back
27th Mar 2007, 22:53
Adverse-bump.
Ha, good You read this. When I joined and the (then not seldom ex RAF Spit or bomber pilots) crews were discussing their retirement stuff, I always stared outside somewhat glazed. I thought, man, this don't interest me one penny, I am starting my career, dont want to talk now how to end it.

But the years flew by so quickly, You have no idea, it looked like yesterday I joined, and now myself bald, and experienced, I am now discussing this matter.

But Albert Driver and Feather #3 make a point to which I will react:
See my opening mesg, I mentioned about good guys making big time mistakes with retirement approaching. Sure in every company these things have happened.

No matter however nice I will try to make my last year, I have carved in my mind that I have to be 100% on the ball till I shutdown all 4 for the last time.
Starting to relax a bit already now, can marr one's spotless career, and that is NO nice start of your new life...
But obviously all retirees who reacted got to "the other side" with no problems and enjoying a good life now.

That's another issue I think about. Having (almost)made it with my lifetime company, why get to another one, be lost for a year in getting used to a new company policy(and ditto management, rosterers, chief pilots..), or get yourself killed with some doubtful operator?

I still have my SE/IR ratings, plus instructor, but I lost most company collegues due to GA related accidents...

Roadster280
27th Mar 2007, 23:27
Double Back,

I don't know if they ever did, but on behalf of the hundreds of thousands, if not the millions of passengers you have flown, thank you for having landed them safely. I don't suppose it occurs that often to most folk, but I often thank the crew (I'm mere SLF myself) as they stand in the doorway getting rid of me off their aircraft!

I've never flown with KLM (if that isn't too much of an assumption), but people like you give people like me a hassle free life, by letting me get to where I need to go, to do what I need to do.

If I were you, I'd look back on my career, and sit back with pride (in a year's time!). You did it!

Have a great last year, and a successful retirement. And a glass of Heineken.

canadair
27th Mar 2007, 23:53
Upperecam:
Just want to say, what a fantastic post.
When my time comes, I can only hope I have your attitude towards retirement, I still have 21 years to go, but I can imagine with an outlook like that, you were good fun, both to fly with and on the overnites!
well done mate, and best of luck.

Gipsy Queen
28th Mar 2007, 03:46
Flying is not just another job - it is a way of life and one that often is difficult for others to properly comprehend. Many have their heads in the clouds; but for those who have spent their life in the clouds things are very different. The sense of loss when forced to hang up your cap, particularly due to advancing years, is palpable.

Enjoyment (of flying) is so much magnified by being able to share that enjoyment with others but in this business, perhaps due to its somewhat recondite and technical nature, that sharing is not always possible when not in the company of aviators. Couple this with a marriage which may have worked well enough for any number of years on a "9 to 5" basis but when suddenly confronted with a full-time load, begins to reveal stresses from unsuspected incompatibilities and you head in the direction of the dissolution of partnerships. Sadly, this is not uncommon following retirement from any profession but I suspect is more prevalent in our game.

I've been through it but regret I have no particular wisdom to impart. I think that to develop an alternative and absorbing interest that can be shared or generate interests that can be pursued individually (although not necessarily mutually exclusively) some time before retirement provides a much softer landing when the day comes. In this way the transition becomes less painful and with a more positive outlook on the future.

Retirement often is regarded as a downhill sort of thing. Rubbish! It is a wonderful opportunity to involve yourself with all sorts of things for which you previously had no time but can now pursue with as much enthusiasm as you like and without fear of being invited to have another McVitie's Rich Tea in the Chief Pilot's office. Blissykins!

Good luck to all of you. :ok:

Ignition Override
28th Mar 2007, 04:14
Those are all interesting observations.

It is one thing to have worked so long in the industry, for an airline which was worth working for.

Many of the FOs with whom I fly would like to be in another business, or at least work for a quality operation, such as FEDEX or Southwest. Some of them are leaving at ages 37-45. Years ago this would have been unheard of. One is studying to become a nurse anesthesiologist, and with a little experience will make a much higher salary than as FO on a major airline 100-seat jet.

The people who have corrupted, weakened and turned so many US airlines into a commodity industry have damaged it in the long-term.

Few Cloudy
28th Mar 2007, 08:35
Well a lot depends upon you. There are people who can't let go and there are people who can.

In my case flying was an intensive time lasting through RAF (to 30) Major airline (to 55) Startup airline far away (to 57) LOCO in UK and then "abroad" (to 60) and then...

Retirement!

Many things then change - number one, you are at home all the time and interfere with the daily routine of the person(s) who has spent years coping without you. This takes patience and adaptability on both sides to deal with.

You wake up at 04:00 and realise that you don't (ever) have to get up and shave and scrape off the ice and drive to work. It's a nice feeling.

You hear / see jets and (this is where it varies according personal makeup) either you think "I know what it is like and I don't need it now" (my case although I loved it at the time) or you feel "I wish I could still be at the controls" (some friends of mine).

You don't forget all the skills and experiences which were, during your career so vitally important - and made you important too - which now count for nothing - and you might regret that initially. Try to keep the knowledge that "you can do it" in the bank as a confidence booster.

You have a need for something intensive to take the place of your intensive job. Actually this is not such a problem! You can dust off your old bike / skis / lathe / walking boots / sports car / spade / dinghy and get in some quality time. You will slow down in good time - meantime enjoy the activity.

Your life is not ordered by a schedule. So it is actually quite important, after the initial luxurious lazy period, to make your own schedule. Try to get one useful thing achieved each day, even if it's ringing Mum or ordering your paperwork. Pretty soon a meaningful routine will be achieved.

Have something to look forward to. If you like travelling - plan a trip. If you like your home, plan some work on it and the garden.

And here, let us say that PPRuNe is a good way to keep in touch with the old life and mates (though the internet shouldn't be allowed to soak up all your valuable time!)

Lastly, enjoy this last year - remember the good things, laugh at the bad ones - there is only a year of them to put up with.

Good Luck,

FC.

p7lot
28th Mar 2007, 09:59
What a great thread...I nearly cried. Aviation being about passion tends to have passionate people.
Good luck on your retirement guys and rather than keeping the nose up......keep your pekker up instead :-)

the dean
28th Mar 2007, 10:36
as others have said...what a moving and touching thread.

thank you double back and others for sharing your thoughts with us..

i guess whether you are one or the other of those..'' the glass is half full/ the glass is half empty ''..has a lot to do with how we each handle this....and by the way double back..even those of us who have given years to teaching others to fly have similar feelings about ever giving it up...except its not quite so dramatic in that termination is a voluntary ( unless medical ) thing...but we all, i feel, identify in one way or another with what you have said...

reminds me of a most moving post brilliantly phrased ( i'm not good at searching ) penned by a us pilot who had just retired and going to work that day with sears if memory recalls correctly some time back here on pprune.

posts such as yours and the other contributors and well wishers serve to remind us how privilaged we have been...to take to the skys...see the sights we have seen...and be a part of a band of brothers ( masculine and feminine ) apart...

good luck to you...:ok:

gear up.

the dean.

fantom
28th Mar 2007, 11:10
Well, I retired six months ago (fed up with it all, really). I gave myself a year to make my mind up and let the idea sink in for me and my wife.
One day, it was all so easy. Only three serious unknowns: not being terribly important any more, the money and the Last Flight.
The money has worked out very well and the Last Flight was easy. I didn't even cry.
I was very lucky, having been a sim person for some years. Now I can pick and choose my sims and continue to give new pilots Skill Tests or LPCs. I keep my hand in and am still terribly important. Gradual let-down.
Good luck.

Double Back
28th Mar 2007, 11:45
I knew it!
I waited a long time before I found courage to post my thoughts. I am not an active poster, more of a lurker.
I feared it would drown between all these posts of incidents/accidents and management wars, because we are hardware oriented people and we tend to shy away from our "soft spots".
But finally I thought, what the...., I just go for it.

Most of us, including myself, have some macho resistance to open your self up, especially in a worldwide read forum.
I was taught to fly in an era that considered anything they did not comprehend, as softy or weak. A pilot needed to be strong, had no doubts, made ONLY right decisions.

Now back to reality.
Over the years I saw that keeping too many thoughts to oneself, is no good at all.
Any large company had pilots leave the job because of psychological matters, or even lost them due to dreadful actions of that person.
Many of these have or had introvert characters, luckily I am not.

As already has been said, there is no company or flightmanual that has a text in it how to cope with it. These books are our Bibles, we were taught to live by them, yet they do not cover all.
But sooner or later it affects us ALL, or HAS already affected our lives. That was the main drive for me as topicstarter. I just want to know about others, an not only in our company.

Heartwarming indeed to find so many positive reactions, also from people not even employed in aviation as Roadster280 did. No, I didn't fly millions, but a lot yes. I take your compliments as one of the many that do the trick everyday, safe and comfortable, with great pride and respect for nature's laws.
Too easy it is forgotten that it is not a trick that comes all by itself, even we ourselves tend to forget that. And then a few times a year this proves to be wrong with a terrible outcome and the loss of many lives.

Rostering just called, reserve duty tomorrow swapped for a Shanghai in the afternoon, sunday back.

Never a dull moment...see, that's what I will be missing......
Maoming Lu, here I come!

rondon9897
28th Mar 2007, 12:12
Great post guys, i am in my last year too and I am in away heartbroken to leave a career that has provided me with my life and has been my life.

Just leave you all with some of my thoughts. I have been saddened to see how our profession has deterioated over the years. The BALPA non reaction to budget airlines has i think been very poor. I believe the captain of a jet airliner should be in the same salary league as a doctor. I also believe the CAP document on fatigue of aircrew needs completely re-writing, there are too many tired pilots flying around. there also needs to be a stricter control of when roster control can contact pilots and connecting that contact with duty start.

The two guys at the front should be the only thing non-budget in a budget airline because the flying public still demand the same saftey, whatever the airline.

There are too many airline directors who do not understand the unique importance and value of pilots. Management has been looking for a big stick for many years to deal with pilots and it arrived via budget airlines.

Budget airlines have been a great boost to the industry but have done great long term harm to our profession.

Fly safe

28L
28th Mar 2007, 12:34
As someone said to me once:
If you find yourself missing the job just set the alarm for 1am. When it goes off get dressed, take the clock downstairs and sit in the understairs cupboard watching it by the light of a 10W bulb for the next 8 hours!
There's a load of whinging in this job but the bottom line is that the vast majority love it to pieces, warts & all.

flyboy328
28th Mar 2007, 12:36
I really like this thread, brings back some of my childhood memories. I always wanted to become a pilot, With age 10 I could spell in the ICAO alphabet (I learned it, because I knew I will need it someday).
Today I am in my 40th. I fly. There is not much I like any more in my job . I am ready to give up this profession. And I don’t think I am the only one.
Wondering if we will read posts like these in 20 Years from now?

lostintranslational
28th Mar 2007, 12:58
Double Back - Best wishes for the day when it comes. As a relative infant at this game, I only hope that you will not also 'retire' from the pprune forums. With such a depth of knowledge, experience and perspective your viewpoints will no doubt make up for the ever decreasing opportunity to absorb that knowledge and experience in the comfort of the 'crew room' environment. I am a firm believer in learning from the experience of others, so when you finally cut the last fuel switch make sure you don't cut the computer lead too. :ok: :D

JW411
28th Mar 2007, 15:17
I made my last commercial flight just over one year ago, some 49 years after going solo. I have always been blessed with good health and I made it to 65. My last flight was just as enjoyable as the first one. It turned into a bit of a farce for the organisers - the pair of regulation fire engines turned up on the taxiway as advertised to create a water-salute for me to taxi through but they could do nothing as it was 0400Z, the temperature was -4°C and the aeroplane had to do a quick turn round after I got off!

I really thought that I would miss the aeroplane and the lifestyle desperately but it hasn't worked out that way.

Luckily, I have a little aeroplane and I am having great fun rediscovering grass airfields around UK that I haven't seen in a very long time. I also enjoy taking friends who are much older than me and who have lost their licences out for the day. A few weeks ago I did a flight where the total age of the four of us came to 308!

Like some of you, I am still pretty active in the simulator. I managed to stay retired for three months before my old company found the entrance to my escape tunnel. I am still training young pilots and that keeps me on my feet. Life is pretty good.

Albert Driver
28th Mar 2007, 16:40
Hey Pop,

Maybe there should be a Retired Pilots Forum on PPrune so we can keep these postings away from all those that are working so hard to pay the retirees pensions.
You can't expect them to fly with all those tears in their eyes. :{

;)

Albert Driver
28th Mar 2007, 17:49
You obviously missed the second smiley, FC

fantom
28th Mar 2007, 17:54
FAs?

I think there should be a special fund for those poor Bs who had to fly them.

You need 420 kts min.

TourDriver
28th Mar 2007, 18:05
What can I say, I have just read this thread and must say it has left me somewhat touched. Can I echo the thoughts of others by adding my thanks for the many happy landings......

Yes, I am a mere SLF - and a Tourdriver of a different sort. I got the flying bug a few years ago and still look up to the sky every so often when I see the trans-atlantics shaping up for their early morning arrival at Gatwick and think what if!

The truth is, whilst I have a dream, I don't think I will ever be able to realise it, with middle-agedness and the thought of losing £70,000 if it all goes horribly wrong.

Pure jealousy it may be, but there are very few people in this world that can say that they have truly worked at a vocation which has been their life and had the experiences that you guys have had. So yes, when retirement beckons remember how fortunate you have been, and how fortunate you will be to begin a new phase of your life with your loved ones sharing a drink or two recalling the good times........

Thanks

skiesfull
28th Mar 2007, 18:10
Double back
As I approached my 55th, I also looked at retirement with doubts. It is a young age to retire and I felt that I was not ready yet. I looked around the market for 55 year old pilots and eventually came up with 6 offers to continue flying as Captain on the B747 ( no type change or bonding necessary). I have been very happy with my post-55 employment, but as I get nearer to 60, I find the constant time changes and inevitable night flights more tiring and take longer to recover from. I am now looking forward to retirement and would like to give you the following advice:-
1/. if you would like to carry on, make sure your licence, medical and log-books are up to date. There are jobs out there for you, it all depends what you are prepared to do, such as relocate or fly 17 - 19 day patterns.
2/. if you do retire, your wife will assume your rostering duties and you will not get the time off that you enjoy between trips now! So chocolates, flowers and champagne will still work with her, as it did in your airline!
Whatever you decide, best wishes for the future.

sinala1
28th Mar 2007, 22:49
Not sure what the thoughts on this would be, but for DoubleBack and others who are soon to retire from flying - is there a possibility of starting a program within your airline for soon-to-retire pilots? A program to help them deal with the transition from flying to retirement, a program that assists in finding ground jobs within the airline (if thats what they want) etc, a program of how to deal with being a full time husband (or wife) :E etc? I know its all a bit "touchy-feely, warm & fluffy" etc but it could be a good way to keep you busy, keep your finger in the airline pie, and assisting others who are soon to go through their last year too.

greybeard
29th Mar 2007, 00:58
I am also in the "retirement" phase, 46 years into the industry, 3 into retirement, found retirement far too busy, had to get a job to get a day off so to speak.
If any of us are fit and willing there are jobs and even careers in the "old" business in training and checking in Simulators in almost every Country in the World.
If you are approaching the so called "dreaded moment", get training/checking qualifications on your type, easily then converted to the Training Mode in many areas.
The so called "Pilots Salary" may not be there, but it staves off Old Age Poverty rather well, there are like minded souls all around the Office, the stories are larger than life, weather is OURS TO CREATE, Students/Victims coming out of the Training Schools in droves.
There are the back of the clock days still, paperwork in piles and the odd idiot around just to keep reality in the picture, but great fun and in some ways more rewarding than the Line, and a lot less security which for me spoils the joy of actual Flight

Enjoy each day, they have a finite limit

:ok: :ok:

swordsman
29th Mar 2007, 10:53
For the previous generation of BA pilots in the old pension scheme (APS) from a financial point of view life is good for many with an indexed link pension in excess of £100,000 per annum.

DCS99
29th Mar 2007, 10:54
It's not just Flight Crew affected by this thread.
I suspect older Ground Staff as well share many of the emotions.

As Gipsy Queen said:
"Enjoyment (of flying) is so much magnified by being able to share that enjoyment with others but in this business, perhaps due to its somewhat recondite and technical nature, that sharing is not always possible when not in the company of aviators"

I have real problems relating to "non-airline" people who've never had the joy of jumpseat rides or the hassles of being bumped off ID flights and all that entails.

And now, I do feel the business has become a bus-service - and it hurts to see the lack of respect that Flight Crew get these days.
But "je ne regrette rien"...

Centaurus
29th Mar 2007, 11:55
After graduation went on to fly Mustangs as a 20 year old. Enjoyed every day of 18 years as a RAAF pilot. Forced "retirement" from civil airlines at age 60 in 1992 with last trip on the 737. Returned home to Australia looking forward at thought of carrying on flying as a civilian QFI. Soon learned that in OZ general aviation you become very unpopular if you dare to write up defects in the maintenance release and received several DCM's from flying school CFI and aircraft owners. Must keep defects secret they say so the owner doesn't have to pay money for maintenance. The regulator merely looked the other way.

Because of all this, enthusiasm for instructing waned and I pulled the plug while still renewing ratings as a matter of personal pride. Through one priceless contact (thanks a million Trevor N) I was given the opportunity to instruct in 737 simulators and all the old enthusiasm quickly came back. Life is wonderful again even though I know of course the sim is just an expensive computer. But when you close the door and pull up the drawbridge it becomes real to me. The nicest thing of all is when one's students keep in touch as their career's progress.

upperecam
29th Mar 2007, 14:59
You made me blush, Canadair! Thank you for your kind thoughts.,

:) :O

Just another student
29th Mar 2007, 17:11
Just to echo the thoughts of some of the posters and say 'great thread.'

I am in the same position as one of my fellow posters in that I am just about to secure my first flying job (on the 737) and can not wait to get started. I have already enjoyed the beauty of getting up at 02:00 to be at the airport for 03:00 in order to serve 328pax with drinks and food for 4 hrs :} I can now hopefully enjoy a comfy seat with 40,000lbs of thrust in my left hand :ok:

'Double back,' as a more 'mature' pilot you have a lot to offer the world of aviation and the next generation of pilots growing within it. My 737 sim instructors during my type rating, had long since retired from ferrying self-moving cargo, but the advice and training they gave me was invaluable. Learning from their experience and listening to what they had to say can only help me in my career.

I would love to be able to be in a position to give something back to aviation, by passing on my years of experience, in the sim to new jet guys/gals following my eventual retirement :)

Good luck to you in all your future endeavours.

Sindree
30th Mar 2007, 03:03
I have followed this thread since it started now, and not being a pilot, I have kept quiet.

But I just wanted to say that I hope to start on my licenses this fall, and I would be honored to get any one of you as an instructor, examiner or whatever.
I also hope you get a job as a B747 instructor with KLM, DB, because if all my dreams come true, I will see you there... (But theres only so much one can do with that right :ugh: ..have talked to a Dutch B747 FO that's married to a Norwegian and travels through OSL some times, and he said KLM are looking for people.. just hope it's the same in..3-4-5 years :})

Anyways, I currently work as a checkin/gate agent at OSL, and I'm starting on the apron next week for the summer (figured it would be a good experience ;)), and after just one year, I have fallen in love with the industry, and reading through all the posts, I'm starting to dread the day I drive home from work.
Even though it's still a good 40-45 years till, it seems (from the posts), that it sneaks up on you like a bad cold.
I'm sure I'll be tired of some aspects by then, but still, it gives me a chill to think of it.

Anyways, I have to get back to my paper on Norwegian politics, and I'm going to leave you professionals alone...for now..

I wish you all the best!

Best regards,
Sindre

Ignition Override
30th Mar 2007, 04:44
Sindre: There was a Pprune moderator who works as a Flight Attendant at KLM. She reportedly lives in your part of the world. She is a 'fire-breathing' creature on wheels.
Maybe she has a good contact?

Captain ("tropical trees") might also see your comments. I lost contact with him quite a while ago. Good luck.

BoeingMEL
1st Apr 2007, 10:25
I agree..an exceptional thread. If it is any consolation, please remember that many of us never make it as far as normal retirement age. Back in '97 this Ppruner's life and career were going so well (737 and rotary) when, with no prior symptoms or warnings, I became partially sighted and began collapsing.
My career ended in an instant and so did my wife's....I needed constant care in those days. Thanks to some miracle (called prescribed steroids) I now have my eyesight back and have stopped falling over too... even have Class 2 medical certificate and PPL privileges restored. For those facing retirement with feelings of sadness or uncertainty I wish you happiness in your new lives....and feel envy that almost hurts! Bless you all.bm

gofer
1st Apr 2007, 12:09
Double Back, thanks for starting this thread & thanks to you and your colleagues for flying this piece of SLF safely around the world for the last 55 years on literally thousands of flights. Incidents - there were a handful, but almost nothing to warrant writing home about - and all handled superbly by the drivers of the day. To all the others who've posted, great advice and visions, thanks.

Though I retired from industry a little over a year ago at almost 62 and had known it was coming for 3 years, so had some time to plan - my experience was still:

- Time goes faster as you get older (something to do with the fraction of time that a day is when compared to the length of your past life (the fraction gets smaller every day)). The consequence is that you never do enough planning or prep. work; but experience and professionalism will probably ensure that you do somewhat over the minimum required to remain airborne.

- The biggest re-alignment is - your new boss. And many a family doesn't make it - its hard and requires a lot of give and defusing of potentially dangerous situations - love some of the early investment suggestions.

- Keeping your hand in and passing on your skills & knowledge - is a very therapeutic method of powering down.

- Staying energetic and getting your new - somewhat slower - pace of life with a solid plan of actions and schedules is essential. But it may need more time than you could ever have believed necessary to get there.

- Writing down the '10 things I really want to do before I die', is a great therapy and focusing exercise. Getting your new boss to do the same - and then starting to plan the ones that are mutual is a great way of moving towards and across that threshold.

Oh yes - every time one of the items is "DONE", I recommend moving all the lower priority items up, refilling the 10th space with something new and then - together with the boss - reset the priorities on all the items on both lists. My wise Granny's theory was that if there is nothing else left that you want to do you probably will just drop dead.

- Spending time with the latter generations (Children & even more important grandchildren or nephews & nieces or the youngsters at the local airfield, football, tennis or golf club, or whatever) is one of the best investments in time you can make for this world. Remember back to your own youth and try and be like the elders of then who you respected, revered and learnt from.

Though old dogs learn new tricks more slowly, the younger ones learn a lot faster, and its so rewarding to watch them go from strength to strength.

That's my 10cents worth. Fly safe and enjoy - and Gofer anything that you can still do.:D

GeeBeeFog
1st Apr 2007, 12:21
This is the first PPRuNe thread that I have ever been moved enough to add my two penne'th, so please forgive the intrusion from another SLF.

From the first time the crew of a Court Line 111 invited (!) me onto the flight deck back in 1970, I have had aviation in my blood. Never being in the right place at the right time, either academically or strategically, I never got to close the door behind my fellow travellers and do something I know I would have loved - warts and all. A (now lapsed) PPL went some way to relieving the frustration of a job on terra-firma, but I have never lost a certain affinity with those who have made aviation their life.

To Double Back and all your colleagues who always remain at the peak of professionalism, no matter what is being heaped on you by the elements, hardware/software, SLFs who care more about the ice in their drinks and, oh yes, management, thank you.

A long and full retirement to you.

Gipsy Queen
1st Apr 2007, 16:34
BoeingMEL,

You have raised a salient point.

Those of us who have gone the full fifteen rounds should take some time to consider how lucky we have been to have stayed the course. As you have said, this is not given to everyone.

To make a quiet and predicted withdrawal at the appointed age is one thing; to have been robbed of the future and what it held is something very different. :sad:

EAL747
1st Apr 2007, 17:49
Great Thread,
My experience is different from the rest. I rode Dad's J/S on his retirement flight from LHR to MIA in the 747. He had started 38 years earlier flying the mail across Florida. He saw it all in aviation! He hated the thought of age 60 retirement, was an early fighter against it, and cried while making his last landing at MIA. After that 10 hour flight across the pond, we went to out to the local field (OPF) and flew his Comanche around some to wind down. He was dead at 62, probably from a broken heart. He hated retirement.
Having witnessed that, my voluntary retirement came suddenly without warning at age 45. Lorenzo had bought the company and offered early retirements to get rid of seniority. Figuring where the company was eventually headed, I departed with my A & B plans and really retired. (Real estate investments kept me in milkshakes all these years). When I approached age 60, I had already been gone 14+ years, but the realization that I could not go back even if I desired was a disappointing realization.
Looking back, I could have gone to FedEx or UAL and started over. I would have re-retired as a wide body Capt. at either airline at age 60. But I have no regret that I walked away. I miss some layover cities, takeoffs, and landings. Mostly I miss the camaraderie, which is augmented by an active reirement group of EAL pilots. I restore antiques and fly my own planes, which mostly enable me to avoid going to an airline airport and being treated as a leper by some government lowlife. I guess in the long run, I'd advise to cherish what you had and walk away without regret.

Double Back
3rd Apr 2007, 09:11
Boy!
Did I stir up some emotions with this one, I am still wondering.
Just back from Shanghai, nice trip, never had to do two+ enroute holdings at separate locations over China because of airway congestion (and some of these slow moving A340's in front....:bored: ) Lost about 20 mins because of this. Take some extra fuel guys, when the Olympic traffic heats up there next year.
BTW: Zapata's is the place to be! :E
I never realised so many SLF was reading these forums, their reactions are very pleasing, albeit that how funny the term SLF is, I never fail to forget those people pay my monthly mortgage and some more. They are not in the back just for my fun.
Ah OK, doctors between them make fun of patients, singers about the public, coroners about.......it is a way of dealing with it.
Nice to see many pilots at the beginning of their career join in, retirement will, for good or for bad, always hang over Your head as Damocles' Sword. Some looking ahead cannot do any harm. To them I advise that sheer enthusiasm often brings more as mathematical power.
I also praise myself lucky I never had any big medical problem (yet...?), but I know enough cases where it really impacted or ended a pilot's career.
Good health, a nice career plus a share of good luck (as one of my friends just corrected me nicely) is about all one can wish. Some of these factors hang by a thin silk thread and can change your life in a blink.
I was lucky to fly with a big Euro company (OK, has correctly been guessed as KLM) where I did many things inside the Company alongside routeflying, and just because I loved to do them.
Large companies have a large diverse fleet, so one never gets bored in hopping between types and destinations.
Nearly all of my flying was Intercontinental, and for me it worked, sleeping in general very well, however its get more difficult lately.
I throroughly enjoyed flying the big iron stuff, and pay the price of making loooong and sometimes boring flights, but one has to look at the whole picture.
Most of my First Officers like the 744 operation that much, that they postpone their captain position on the European fleet for many years.
The good life is reflected in hardly anyone leaving the company for a better place anywhere else. Other large euro, Asian and US companies have the same I guess.
That brings me back to the start of the post, if I wasn't so happy, stepping out would not be that difficult.
But I realise I leave behind a big chunk of my life, and it was fun to be there and play a small role in it.

TE RANGI
3rd Apr 2007, 17:38
Upperecam,

My hat is off to you, sir.:D

Double Back,

Wonderful post. All the best for this year. And the ones after it:ok:

Immelmann
3rd Apr 2007, 20:20
Interesting, the different ways of approaching retirement.
I joined the German Airforce direct after leaving school. Flying helicopters (SAR), Props and fighters. Final command was "head of training" in a fighter wing.
I grabbed the opportunity to retire from the airforce at age 41 (BO 41). Knowing very well, that after that age, flying commands in the airforce were rare.
As a retired fighter pilot I just got a PPL at this time. Job opportunities in airlines were rare for old farts at age 41.
So, I prepared myself for my first retirement from flying. Getting divorced I found out, I must start a new carreer to get back money, I lost due to the divorce.
I did all the training and tests for the ATPL. Got a job as a FO on MD-80. Progressed fast to the left seat. Nowadays flying the A-320.
Several yeras ago, I made up myself a new goal after my airline retirement at age 60. I find this new aim very challenging to achieve: Planning to sail around the world.
Here I find lot of similarities to flying, nevertheless something totally new. (compared to cruise the carribean)
Sure I will miss a lot of things, but nearly all I find again in the world of the sailing community. (good and bad!)
Biggest change: no FO, but a "First Mate", which is my (new) wife. This makes it even more challenging.;)
Fazit:
- one day you must let go your airline life!
-Prepare on time to reach out for new goals!
-stay in touch with your old buddies, watch them all getting old, still having fun about good old times
-hopefully you had good students or FO´s which still have contact with you, keeping you informed about the "aviation life" without you!

the dean
4th Apr 2007, 10:37
way to go double back...

stay flying...there is still plenty to enjoy:D ...i instruct and examine and i hit the wall this year...:eek:

good luck.:ok:

the dean.

Offchocks
5th Apr 2007, 00:17
Double Back thanks for starting this great post.

Having come from an "aviation" family I've been around aircraft since I was 4 years old when there were no jet airliners but just props! If you count time from the start (PPL), I've been flying for 39 years.
Now I'm looking at giving flying away in about 3 years. I have had a great career and for me flying has been like having a lovely wife with whom you have shared some wonderful times, but the mother inlaw (management etc.) has become worse as time goes by!
Yes flying has been a big part of my life and I"ll miss it, but my son flies for the same airline and he will help keep me in touch. As others have said there is more to do in life when you retire, I certainly have plans which will keep myself and the first wife active! :)

Min It has been a long time since the Exec Fleet and I'm glad to see you are still "terribly important", all the best and enjoy the gradual let-down! :)

Mary P.
9th Apr 2007, 05:10
I had a bad dream last night.
In it was the FAA, crew scheduling, bad schedules, bad management, self-serving union, unserviceab le aircraft equipment, changing weather, no extra holding fuel, ever-changing procedures, endless flight manual revisions, dead heading in the middle seat, broken luggage, lost luggage, nasty jump seat agents, crabby Old 170 lb. female ramp agents that were axe-handle wide, all-nighters, foreign countries, sleep deprivation, mergers, seniority squabbles, company threats, food poisoning, no food, bad coffee, bidding, pulled away from my family for weeks at a time, fleabag hotels, late cabs and maniac cab drivers, bidding vacation, waiting for gates, weather, low visibility approaches, aircraft de-icing, PCs, Gestapo check airman, medicals, commuting to and from work in unspeakable weather, the parking lot from Hell, parking lot buses, inter-terminal busses, spring break, Christmas rush, Easter rush, I dare you announcements, insurance, drug and alcohol testing, noise v iolations, customs lineups, dry cleaning, terrorism, security passes, rude security personnel, high gas/oil prices, small pay raises, rush hour traffic, that infernal alarm clock, crash pads, catching cold away from home, lackadaisical crew members, sexual harassment threats, co-pilots implying that they are a gift to aviation after being there three years, back biting, gossip, cell phones, aircraft cram courses, plus laying my job on the line several times a year with simulators, endless procedural memorization and Annual Recurrent Training days.
Then I woke up and joyously found myself still retired!
Question: Do a lot of pilots out there feel this way?

145qrh
9th Apr 2007, 05:19
All very true Mary, but please remember that despite your rosy picture the industry does have it's downsides too.:)

PantLoad
9th Apr 2007, 05:30
But, honestly, I really can't see myself doing anything else in life and still being happy.

If, someday, for whatever reason, I have to give up flying, I'll find something else to do in aviation.

Aviation is not for everyone...it's for only the ones who love it. (The same can be said for medicine, teaching, etc.)

PantLoad

bwicker
9th Apr 2007, 05:30
there are still those of us out there who can't wait to get to experience all of that :ok:

Brian

Gipsy Queen
10th Apr 2007, 02:29
"There are still those of us out there who can't wait to experience all of that."

Just as well, Brian, otherwise air transport would have a very bleak future!

But, to change the nature of the thread for a moment, I can't help wonder what it is that you are going to experience. Will it be what you expect; will it even be what you want? Will it in any way be recognisable from today's perspective?

Piloting seems to change in complexity at an alarming rate and I am hopelessly beyond trying to understand much of the technical stuff that Ppruners talk. Just how much complex can things get and yet remain manageable by the average human?

I am sufficiently ancient to have flown from Croydon (not Transport) and knew Capt. Ollie - in fact, he autographed my copy of "A Million Miles in the Air" which he wrote in the 'thirties. I also knew "Flaps" Rendall who also flew the big Handley Pages before the war. These machines and the ones I started on were dinosaurs compared with what we now have. All this makes me desparately old! Given the exponential nature of aircraft dvelopment and concomitant pilot workload, I'm glad I no longer have to "keep up" but I do wonder how the coming generations will cope.

Perhaps it's just me - managed to adjust from DF to ADF but when we had TWO ADFs and the circular computer, that was almost my limit! But should you embark on this avian adventure and subsequently approach retirement with some misgivings and a little trepidation, then I suspect it all would have been worthwhile and I, for one, would gratefully settle for that.

Good luck, my boy.

Codger
10th Apr 2007, 03:44
Terrifying thread in some ways. The thought of not being able to fly makes me feel ill.
I envy those that have made their peace with the inevitable. Flying is just part of me. Flying is not what I do, it’s what I am when I’m there. Being forced to live earthbound without knowing that I can leave anytime and go flying darn near sums up my personal definition of hell better than Dante or Bosch could define it on their worst days. There is no other process like flying. There is no other feeling like flying. After all the physics, mechanics, and other intellectual navel gazing, there is something magical about popping up through a cloud or flying across miles of prairie fields or having the northern lights dancing and crackling away just off your wing on a winter’s night.
So, maybe I’m destined for hell. I’ve already had a good long tour of heaven so if that’s the price, it’s a pretty good deal.

Hampshire Hog
10th Apr 2007, 12:50
There's a post somewhere above referring to a 69 year old instructor. My PPL instructor is 81 years old! He started his career with the military, then moved through BA's predecessors and BA itself, then on to Singapore for five years post his BA retirement. Then he took up full time instructing and examining - has been ever since. He's sharp as anything and has provided many many students with years worth of annecdotes from which we've all learned to be sensible safe pilots (well, mostly!)

I know instructing is the current route to the airlines for many young pilots, but if more retired pilots took it up they'd be able to continue enjoying flying at someone else's expense, students would benefit from their years of experience and the airlines may be forced to take a more serious approach to ensuring an ongoing pool of skilled new starters.

HH

JustAnothrWindScreen
10th Apr 2007, 21:41
Double back, I retired about 5 months ago. I was willing and able to have gone on longer but the age 60 barrier stopped me. I used to live and breath jet fighters and then the airliners and could not even comprehend not flying for a living. Now in just this short time I have not missed the job once. When a massive snow storm brews I just smile. When the thunderstorms are raging I welcome them. I have currently started a project of a homebuilt high performance 4 place light aircraft. When it is finished is when it will be finished. At least for me the building and those that you run into for help is what it is all about. The actual flying, well, I don't care that much. I used to, but not that much anymore. I know I will enjoy flying it out to the coasts a few times and staying away from any large airport. Going at my pace and not worrying about security, mechanicals, stuffed to the gills aircraft, etc. etc etc. As I do get older it will be a great legacy to hand down to my son.
I always heard folks tell me that there is not enough time in the day once you retire. I always thought that odd. But to tell you the truth, there is not enough hours in the day. Retirement is wonderful. I don't give a second thought to the airlines and the greedy nerd accountants that run them. Good luck in your last year, and don't let complacency sneak in till after you retire.

cammron
11th Apr 2007, 09:37
If only a publication would be created of collective experiences and lifes lessons and documnented by a gaggle of retired airline proffessionals .I think such a publication would be priceless and a rich source of knowledge to those still experiencing such a profession.It probably woyld be a set of encyclopedias but I would certainly buy every one.....Please do it...

TourDriver
11th Apr 2007, 10:10
All here, to echo cammron's last, please do it. From someone who is a mere 'wannabee' and admits to having a rather (and possibly misguided) sentimental view of the business, I would love to read such publications.

Best wishes to all

TD

777fly
6th May 2007, 23:30
Like Double Back, I had a 36 year career with a major european airline. I was a jet F/O at 20, Captain at 35, compulsorily retired at 55. It was a fantastic and varied career, but I didn't really think ahead to the 'full stop' at 55 years old. Codger sums up exactly how I feel about flying - I did not want to stop doing it. I don't care about the long and difficult hours, interminable problems, problematic passengers, you name it... I actually like the challenge of those situations and the satisfaction of winning against the odds, I really enjoy getting those tons of metal and trusting pax where they want to be.
I did not stop commercial flying at 55, as there are many opportunities out there to enjoy a different culture, language,lifestyle and location, while learning a whole new range of operational skills which are unused or forgotten in the major airlines. The last five years have been richly rewarding in all respects, and to be honest, do you really want to retire at 55 years? I have a half built kit plane to finish, it will be my magic carpet...but...... maybe it can wait a bit while I and others show that 60+ commercial aviating is going to happen.

Rainboe
7th May 2007, 08:48
Well said that man! Back into it again at 57 and loving it! There's no other job I want to do, no other skills i want to learn or desire to restart in something else. Maybe if I have to grounded with medical problems, but I can't imagine what else I would enjoy. As for the aging of the world's population and the dumbing down of education systems- I detect sometimes kids have appalling gas in their education, by the time we reach 65, hopefully as long as you are fit and alert, maybe in the next 10 years there will be yet another extension to flying licences as the youngsters are beginning to not 'cut the mustard', and although enthusiasm may be there, essential education is lacking. We may be needed more yet!

swish266
7th May 2007, 11:31
D Back thank you!
Best ever thread...
Quote from "Mary P":
Good or bad dream?
I had a bad dream last night.
In it was the FAA, crew scheduling, bad schedules, bad management, self-serving union, unserviceab le aircraft equipment, changing weather, no extra holding fuel, ever-changing procedures, endless flight manual revisions, dead heading in the middle seat, broken luggage, lost luggage, nasty jump seat agents, crabby Old 170 lb. female ramp agents that were axe-handle wide, all-nighters, foreign countries, sleep deprivation, mergers, seniority squabbles, company threats, food poisoning, no food, bad coffee, bidding, pulled away from my family for weeks at a time, fleabag hotels, late cabs and maniac cab drivers, bidding vacation, waiting for gates, weather, low visibility approaches, aircraft de-icing, PCs, Gestapo check airman, medicals, commuting to and from work in unspeakable weather, the parking lot from Hell, parking lot buses, inter-terminal busses, spring break, Christmas rush, Easter rush, I dare you announcements, insurance, drug and alcohol testing, noise v iolations, customs lineups, dry cleaning, terrorism, security passes, rude security personnel, high gas/oil prices, small pay raises, rush hour traffic, that infernal alarm clock, crash pads, catching cold away from home, lackadaisical crew members, sexual harassment threats, co-pilots implying that they are a gift to aviation after being there three years, back biting, gossip, cell phones, aircraft cram courses, plus laying my job on the line several times a year with simulators, endless procedural memorization and Annual Recurrent Training days.
Then I woke up and joyously found myself still retired!
Question: Do a lot of pilots out there feel this way?
I feel exactly this way.
15 yrs of expat jobs killed my love for flying! I did not choose to leave my homeland - my a/l went under.
I am 43 but I am ready to go tomorrow. Still need to fly for another 7 though, so I can sail round the world like Immelmann wants.
My Dad's buddies all died within 2-3 years of 60. The lack of stress just killed them.
People say best 10 years of your career are 50-60. I would say the money we save between 50-60 pays for surviving untill 70.
Is this what I want?
NO!
If you guys that happily flew untill 65 can spare a few quid from your WELL DESERVED pensions, send me a PM and I will give you my bank details, so I can retire
NOW
:ok:

ps: Only thing I still love to do is to "get stabilised" at 300' from a real tight visual... This keeps me going untill the next check gets to the bank.

Double Back
7th May 2007, 13:37
Last week I got an email includings pics of an Israeli 747 that overran the tow truck...the accompanying text, if true, is just appalling: it says its was the last flight of this captain.
Boy, do I have pity with this poor fellow, ending his career in this way. That scares me. And these things can happen in just one moment of inattention.
I might skip my last flight....

But all these answers, advises keep me thinking, I did not make up my mind yet. Plus I have someone else that has a say in my future to take into account...

Just came back from a 24h stopover in Houston, slept badly. On the return flight, fighting sleep, I wondered whether I like this to continue to do after retirement.

Btw, my flightcase, stowed in the back of the crewbus from the hotel to apt in IAH, was launched on the highway because the driver did not lock the door properly.
Contents got spread all over the highway, together with my copilot's bag.
My Notebook PC and cellphone are goners, Samsonite flightbag crushed. I just stay wary, no use in getting upset, it's just material stuff, but do I HATE these situations.
Now I have to reinstall all the software, and sh%t on a new PC, another week down the drain because of neglect from someone else. Brings nothing.

On the bright side, I just entered my "summer" holidays.
Am a big time model aviation flyer as well, coming weekend a large meet, I am really looking forward to it, makes me forget all this crap. Being amongst people I chose to be with, not directed to.

Next week in a C172 all the way to Spain, from Holland, preps give me a (pleasant) headache!

Maybe I just have no time enough to work after retirement :) ........

Rainboe
7th May 2007, 14:35
Longhaul gets tedious as you get older, and as you get older the sleep gets worse! I found although I was flying the worlds best plane (747-400), I wasn't enjoying the flying anymore. I would recommend if you do fancy flying on, do something different. I've gone from worldwide longhaul widebody to medium haul narrow body. Flying a 737 around Europe to holiday destinations, down to Africa, even across to Canada. Totally different, and interesting and fun because of its novelty value, which will take years to wear off. It's variety that makes it interesting.

You really need to get out of it for 6 months to know if you want to come back. If you don't miss it, well great- enjoy your retirement! But only you will know what the voices in your head say to you. Yes, I have 'voices' in my head! They're saying 'get your ass out there and get earning! Retirement lasts a LONG time (hopefully), and there's not much use deciding in 5 years that you'd like to fly jet airliners again!' You could be retired 30 years. Time enough for golf and sailing and gardening another time. Use your constructive years while you can (unless you really want out).

hawker750
14th May 2007, 16:56
Hi Double Back
Good to hear your story about a guy who really loves his job, hassle and all! There is another way after 60 and I guess it is 60 we are talking about and not 65. I am ex Big stuff but fly for an ex jet co. with a world wide AOC. Proper mx., proper flight time limitations, great destinations with good allowances. Why not do a job share for a few years with another captain. Half pay for 15 days of availibilty (= about 6-8 days flying per month). Pay would be about £30k plus allowances. My company would pay for training for 3 years commitment on a Hawker. You would get to fly with good young P2's and be able to pass on 40 year's worth to the young guys, I like it. If you are interested get in touch.