PDA

View Full Version : Lows hours FI rating?

Blinkz
25th Mar 2007, 16:58
Hey guys,
Quick bit about me. Got my PPL in 2005 up in Edinburgh and after that decided to go integrated. Now a newly qualified fATPL holder and am trying to decide what my best options are. I have just over 200TT CPL/IR/ME etc I am really keen to get a FI rating. Now just to set the record straight, I am NOT just wanting to get a FI so as to hour build before getting a airline position. I honestly am very keen to give something back to the GA community where I started and the thought of actually teaching really appeals to me. Now on the other hand, I DO want to join an airline at some point. I'm basically kind of stuck with where to go now. I am currently applying to lots of airlines but I have no idea how successful any of that will be. I'm thinking of getting a FI in the near future and then hopefully to find employment in time for the summer. Even if I get an airline position I will still want to instruct in my time off, hence I will be getting a FI rating now or in the future.
My main concern is my experience. As I said I only have 200hrs TT (with another 50hrs in gliders) Will I actually be able to instruct to an acceptable level? I don't want to be instructing people if I'm not giving them the service I would expect myself. Any advice or opinions would be very welcome!

FlyingForFun
25th Mar 2007, 17:48
Blinkz,

I would say, with that attitude, you would most likely make a great instructor - go for it!

The FIC will give you all the information you need to be able to instruct effectively. Having said that, though, I doubt there is a signle instructor out there who didn't feel uneasy giving their first few lessons, whether they had 200 hours or 20,000 hours prior to instructing. To be trusted to impart your knowledge to someone else is a real priviledge, and to be unsure that you're up to the challenge until you've had a bit of time and experience proving you're capable of it is natural.

If you're (financially) able, though, then doing a bit of touring would definitely help you to identify with the private pilots you're likely to come across in a flying club environment. If you did the integrated course you probably have very little experience of this environment. At my previous school, I had a colleague who was in a similar position to you, straight out of an integrated course, onto an FIC and into an instructing job. One day, he hired a C152 and took it to Canaerfon for lunch. He came back absolutely over the moon about the pure delight of getting in an aircraft for no reason other than having some fun - which is something that is vital to understand if that's the ultimate aim of most of your future students.

FFF
----------------

BEagle
25th Mar 2007, 18:12
I agree - you have clearly spelled out your aspirations and intentions in a laudibly straightforward and honest manner. You won't be able to recover much of your no doubt considerable financial outlay from instructing, but it beats the heck out of meaningless jaunts up and down East Florida!

Also, many RFs have 'contacts' in the airline world and, if you provide the quality of instruction which you've indicated you intend, they will be happy to put in the 'good word' which will ensure your application doesn't end up in the bin! As an example, my RF once was able to pay for a pilot to do the FI course; he then worked off that loan by instructing for us. A win/win situation - and he's now a training and recruiting manager for an expanding UK airline!

Good luck - it sounds as though you're just the sort of person who will go far!

combineharvester
25th Mar 2007, 23:58
Without a doubt, go for it.

When i started my instructor course i was technically less experienced than yourself, having only completed the CPL (and 220 hrs total time), without the MEP or IR. having since completed all those courses i can say that the course i learnt the greatest deal from, and enjoyed the most was the FIC. A year on and im still enjoying the job, as stated above, you will have to put the plans for financing the DB9 on hold, but on the good weather days at least, you will struggle to find a more satisfying job in the early stages of your aviation career.

Hope this helps

Token Bird
26th Mar 2007, 08:39
Being a good instructor has a lot to do with attitude, rather than flying experience. Obviously you need to be able to handle an aircraft, but you don't need to be Biggles!

Bear in mind that there is a lot more to teaching a PPL than teaching them the physical flying skills. I personally think that airmanship is more important, and giving your students the ability to make sensible decisions.

Leading by example is important. eg. there's no point teaching your student to fly perfect steep turns if you then set a bad example by encouraging your students to fly in marginal weather.

TB

Han 1st Solo
27th Mar 2007, 10:39
Got to echo all the above posts, go for it, its a great job, apart from the wages! :ok:

regards,

Han.