PDA

View Full Version : Charity Flying

Colonel Cathcart
25th Mar 2007, 10:50
Ladies and Gents,

I am a military pilot (Tornado F3 / Typhoon), and am interested commiting some time to flying for charity. I have written to several charities which operate in Africa, but have not received any replies. Does anyone know of any organisations that might require light aircraft (single or twin) pilots on a part-time basis?

Farrell
25th Mar 2007, 11:05
Medicins Sans Frontieres is a French organisation. They used to only take French speaking pilots but I think that the situation might have changed.

There's also a few Christian-run organisations. I had a chat with one of them a while ago and they said that they wanted me to have a "strong interest in God" - this seemed a little odd as they were screaming for pilots at the time.

Didn't know it made a difference to my flying. I kind of got the impression that a starving child would die if they couldn't find a jockey who's flight hours matched his church time!

D'vay
25th Mar 2007, 13:23
Would that have been MAF by any chance Farrell?

A non-religious charity to try would be AMREF.

Flying Lawyer
25th Mar 2007, 17:01
Colonel Cathcart

MAF currently has these vacancies for experienced pilots:

2 in Juba, Sudan. (One as Chief Pilot.)
1 in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
1 in Dhaka, Bangladesh to fly an amphibian C208, with some supervised training/flying of a Bangladeshi co-pilot.
2 in Nairobi, Kenya.
5 in Papua New Guinea.There's an interesting article about MAF flying by an old UAS friend of mine in the current issue of Guild News, the journal of the Guild of Air Pilots. Derek Reeh, who is a Liveryman of the Guild, was in the RAF for 13 years and then, after ETPS, a BAe test pilot for almost 20 years becoming Chief Test Pilot in 1995. He left to fly for MAF in 2005 and is Chief Pilot at one of their bases.

Link: Reliant on the Plane (http://www.gapan.org/news/febnews.pdf)
The article is on page 8. It may be necessary to adjust the zoom to fit screen size.

From this .....http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/frtypen/FRfotmil/EF20004.JPGMaiden flight of DA4 (first British 2-seater) 1997..... to flying a Cessna Caravan on aid missions in and out of dirt strips. Quite a change!

I don't know if they take part-time pilots, but you could email Derek via MAF, or get more info from: [email protected] ([email protected])

FL

Colonel Cathcart
25th Mar 2007, 18:31
Thank you, gentlemen. Very useful.:)