PDA

View Full Version : Thrust reverser question

bomarc
25th Mar 2007, 05:53
does anyone know of any airliner that can deploy thrust reversers automatically after being armed to do so?

does anyone know the first use of the term ''reverse thrusters'', an obvious distortion of thrust reversers or reverse thrust?

I know some modern ships have "bow thrusters" to help do away with tug boats, are there any maritime "reverse thrusters"? could someone watching an old episode of "THE LOVE BOAT" have convoluted things somwhere?

opinions and BS are welcome, sincere answers are encouraged.

Jetdriver
25th Mar 2007, 05:57
But not a Rumour or News story of the day, so moved here.....

Pugilistic Animus
18th Apr 2007, 19:33
I suppose bow thrusters are reverse for ships in order to slow it for approach----different mechanism, same Newton's law, same reasons for employing them.

so much parallelism between the nautical and the aeronautical minus two degrees of freedom.

reverse thrusters---never heard that before but it sounds a bit erudite like the word empennage

Clandestino
18th Apr 2007, 20:31
1. never heard of any.
2. first time I've seen it was in your post
3. Osa class missile boats have variable pitch prop that can go in reverse and I suspect they are are not the only vessels using it.

Dave Gittins
19th Apr 2007, 14:01
Maritime reverse thrust is in most cases called reverse gear for simplicity. It is rare and sophisticated vessels that have VP props.

Bow thrusters point perpandicular to a ship's axis to move the bow sideways to aid manoeverability ... they don't point the way a ship is going.

My limited knowledge of reverse thrust (as an SEP cessna driver) suggests that I, for one, would like to keep full control of my thrust and its vectors by explicitly reducing thrust then explicitly selecting reverse when needed. I would not want something armed that could spoil my day in the event of a late go around.

AirRabbit
21st Apr 2007, 04:30
1. No.
2. Likely first use … aboard the Starship Enterprise as a command issued after disconnecting from Space Dock (“Mr. Sulu, reverse thrusters to one quarter impulse”).
3. Opinion only, of course, but anyone spending time viewing old episodes of “The Love Boat” are likely capable of convoluting almost anything!

E. MORSE
21st Apr 2007, 12:42
All ships are equipped with variable pitch propellors (larger ocean going vessels)
No reverse gear or so there
Reverse or stopping or sailing backwards when mooring or before anchoring are done by changing pitch.

No auto or armed thrust reversers on aircraft.
At least not on Boeing or Airbus.

Never heard of reverse thrusters.
Allthough I was a fan of science fiction when Star Wars was a new movie

cheers

cdb
23rd Apr 2007, 08:14
Virtually all larger boats have constant-speed, variable-pitch propellors in the same way as a turboprop or complex single aircraft. In the same way as these aircraft, they can go backwards (inefficiently) with reverse pitch.

Some boats DO have bow thrusters. They are a small prop mounted at the front of the keel crossways - pushing to port or starboard. They are used when manouvering in or out of harbour, allowing the boat to turn without moving forwards or backwards.

Pugilistic Animus
25th Apr 2007, 15:03
oh yeah forgot to say

no to number 1 a very dangerous situation could be created, and it would create another failure mode for an already complex machine, just pull reverse---simple

and I didn't mean 'slow to port' port = left i meant slow for approach to harbor

more nautical /aeronautical stuff
port, starboard, astern, fore, aft, keel, rudder, approach, pilot, abeam [I think], ships passing to the right, navigation lights, very similar computers for wind, time/distance/speed problems, gyrocompasses, drift, docking, there must be more...