PDA

View Full Version : Uk Spl/ppl

mccourtm
24th Mar 2007, 08:18
Apologies if this has come up before.
Is it legal for a student to sit in the LHS if there is a PPL in the RHS, and if so can the student log the hours?
I started flying in the south of Ireland 20 yrs ago and only got as far as solo before giving it up. Back then you had to get a student pilots licence before you could go solo. My understanding of the priviledges then were that you could not take passengers unless the passanger was a PPL.
I noticed when I did my CAA JAR PPL that there was no requirement for an SPL.
So is it therefore the case that only a PPL holder or above can sit in the LHS?

Thanks in advance

S-Works
24th Mar 2007, 08:54
A student can only fly carrying a passenger if the passenger has an Instructor rating and they are under instruction. This time is logged as PUT.

BEagle
24th Mar 2007, 08:58
In most countries, there is no restriction on which side you sit if you are not a qualified pilot. However, I understand that in Germany, the Commander must occupy the designated seat.

There may be very good reasons why you should not occupy the LHS, but those would be aircraft specific (e.g. some aircraft may not have RHS foot brakes, or the fuel selector may be difficult to reach from the RHS).

But, in the scenario you describe, you would only be able to log 'passenger flying'.

foxmoth
24th Mar 2007, 08:58
A student can sit in the left hand seat with a PPL in the right, BUT, the PPL is the aircraft pilot and the student is just a passenger and cannot log the flight as anything more than "other flying" which does not count for anything!:}

S-Works
24th Mar 2007, 09:07
Come on guys read his question before you come up with the usual smart arse answers about where the PIC can sit. He asked specifically about being a student pilot. The correct answer is a STUDENT pilot can only log time if he is receiving instruction, either with an instructor on board or SOLO on consolidation. The student will generally sit in the LHS for this.

We all know we can put any tom, dick or harry in the LHS and fly as PIC from the RHS as long as the POH does not preclude it.

mccourtm
24th Mar 2007, 09:56
Thanks for your replies guys. I suppose the logging of hours isn't the real issue. Here's the scenario. You want to so a x-country to another airfield. The students has done a few solo x-countries. PPL flies one leg and student flies the other and therefore the cost can be divided in whatever is agreed to be a fair split.
Even though the student may not be able to log the hours, surely there would be valuable experience gained for the student.
For me it's the experience of flying, not just clocking up hours, that I enjoy so much.

Cheers.

shaun ryder
24th Mar 2007, 16:36
Read the post again Socalap!

What was said in the previous post was fine! I would be wary of flying with a pilot inexperienced in the right hand seat however. You would be better off with an instructor in this scenario, otherwise have your fun from the right and let your mate occupy the left seat.

shaun ryder
24th Mar 2007, 16:46
The student cannot 'fly' the other leg and log the time towards his/her qualification...

Is what you said.

Me thinks that this has already been covered and understood by the poster of this thread.

shaun ryder
24th Mar 2007, 16:51
Think you are missing the point entirely. :D

Period? :D :D

englishal
24th Mar 2007, 17:59
Technically SoCal is right.

Although of course the student can "fly" - i.e. operate the controls, they couldn't land the aeroplane I suspect due to insurance requirements for one thing. The second thing is the PPL is responsible for the entire flight so better be confident with their mates flying!

I think it is good experience to fly with a qualified pilot supervising. I have been safety pilot in the USA numerous times for people about to take their IR checkride and wanting some proper practice in IMC. It is good for me too, free hours and getting experience from the RHS (I'm not an instructor yet).

I took my dad up the other day and let him fly the entire flight, bar the take-off and landing. The last plane he flew was a RN glider about 50 years ago, and which he managed to crash :O But he did well, and really it is pretty easy to keep an aeroplane straight and level (well, in his case within +/- 300' :) )

shaun ryder
25th Mar 2007, 01:46
Erm.. Who mentioned anything about renting an aircraft. For all we know, our chap could be flying one of his friends, or even his own...:uhoh: !

And since when did any flying school monitor who is at the controls in flight, eh?

Come on old boy. :rolleyes: