PDA

View Full Version : jumpseat on BA for US airline pilots

downwindabeam
24th Mar 2007, 05:16
Hello fellow pilots,

Do you guys (and gals) know if US airline pilots are allowed to jumpseat on BA (internationally)?

By jumpseatting, I mean travel anywhere either up front or in the cabin as a free jumpseat rider?

Thanks!
-downwindabeam

TopBunk
24th Mar 2007, 08:08
Very simple answer ...no. Not even BA pilots can!

ETOPS
24th Mar 2007, 08:46
downwindabeam

I think what my dear colleague Topbunk was trying to say is "yes" :)

What should be mentioned is that you need to buy a staff ticket called an ID75 which is on a "space available" basis. You could get a really nice seat if the flight is quiet. As a last resort you could get a cabin "jump seat" but not, I'm afraid, a flight deck ride.

Check with your company admin about availability of "interline staff tickets"....:ok:

TopBunk
24th Mar 2007, 10:19
ETOPS

Don't tell me what I meant to say, please:bored:

The question was I mean travel anywhere either up front or in the cabin as a free jumpseat rider?

The answer remains NO

SOPS
24th Mar 2007, 11:38
what is it with US guys thinking they can "jumpseat" for free on airlines world wide? I cant even do it on my own airline...but only last week I had a request in the US to accept a jumpseater.

NuName
24th Mar 2007, 11:53
When I first got involved with airlines, 30 years ago, we could get a ride simply on production of a valid ID to the station manager and a nod from the captain. Have we all forgotten the "good old day's".

javelin
25th Mar 2007, 18:47
The reason the originator asks is because in the USA, you can do it !

Some of our guys have free seated around the States within the last year with Southwest and Jetblue by turning up in uniform with ID and being very pleasant :ok:

Sean Dell
25th Mar 2007, 21:50
And with the ridiculously one sided 'Open Skies' agreement - US. Flight crew should be able to Jumpseat their way round Europe soon too. :*

NIGELINOZ
27th Mar 2007, 04:32
Quote "
When I first got involved with airlines, 30 years ago, we could get a ride simply on production of a valid ID to the station manager and a nod from the captain. Have we all forgotten the "good old day's".
Anybody ever heard of Frank Abagnale ?

Rainboe
27th Mar 2007, 07:53
Don't bring him into it- it's fiction! Nobody he was alleged to have fooled has any recollection of him! To escape from a B707 washroom and climb out of the undercarriage bay? What was he supposed to have done- gone down the blue hole? Garbage.

aeroconejo
27th Mar 2007, 20:55
Free jumpseating is still commonplace in Italy.....I was checking in at FCO last week and the girl asked me why I had a ticket.....you can go free!!!!!

411A
28th Mar 2007, 01:50
Just whom is this very talented escape artist, Frank Abagnale?
From the loo to the undercarriage bay...a neat trick, in a B707.:}

sir.pratt
28th Mar 2007, 03:15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale

SOPS
28th Mar 2007, 10:35
OK..it was a VC-10 not a 707. He removed 'knobs" and could get out onto the runway. Anyone here flown a VC 10? Can you pul the toilet apart and drop onto the runway??? This is a story I want to know about.....:}

downwindabeam
28th Mar 2007, 23:28
Guys,

Very true, the reason I ask is because a) we can in the US, b) we can internationally with companies who fly intl and have agreements with us on jumpseating priviliages (mostly US based carriers with the exception of a couple) and c) because I hear *you* guys sometime ride with our Southwest/Jetblue etc... and I was wondering if the same applies in the other direction ?

As for ID75/80/90 and ZED fares, I am well aware of those options and thank you for bringing them up. But just as the first gentleman to reply quotes, I was refering to free jumpseating privilages not based on any rev mgmt paper/electronic issues ticket.

Thanks a ton for taking the time!

-downwindabeam

P.S - Just thought of something.... alot of you guys say you can't even do it on your own airline.... I wonder, is Europe this strict for you guys? Where one pilot cannot even jumpseat their own airline? Do you guys have any agreements with other European carriers at all?
For you guys that commute, how do you do that without jumpseat agreements?

alexban
29th Mar 2007, 07:51
Never heard,in the last years ,of any free jumpers ,here in Europe.I'd love to give a fellow pilot a chance for a free ride,but ,unfortunatelly , this is not allowed any more. I hope this will change in the near future.
Years ago ,yes, it was allowed. I even took my soon to be wife on a night stop flight.;)

banana head
30th Mar 2007, 12:02
P.S - Just thought of something.... alot of you guys say you can't even do it on your own airline.... I wonder, is Europe this strict for you guys? Where one pilot cannot even jumpseat their own airline? Do you guys have any agreements with other European carriers at all?
For you guys that commute, how do you do that without jumpseat agreements?
Once upon a time many European operators used a 'Captain's extra crew manifest' to record and carry such free jumpseaters - provided they were a company pilot/ engineer/ cabin crew.
Today this is not possible for numerous reasons including insurance issues, regulatory issues, security issues and of course gov taxes applicable to the departure/ arrival.
Commuting crew in Europe generally either use ID90's/ ID75's or buy full fare tickets (I do :{ )

Oilhead
30th Mar 2007, 12:23
9/11 changed the jumpseat landscape considerably. I do not think it is in anyone's interests to discuss cockpit access on an open forum such as this. If you work for a bona fide air carrier, either in the US or not, you will be familiar with cockpit access protocols, and do not need to ask here.