PDA

View Full Version : President Eisenhower Travels in RAF Comet

Warmtoast
23rd Mar 2007, 23:05
In 1959 I was a VHF/DF operator based at RAF Abingdon where our VHF/DF station provided cross bearings to aircraft on the approach to RAF Benson to allow Benson ATC to plot the distance to touchdown for an aircraft on final approach. This meant I was friendly with the ATC bods at Benson. In July of that year I'd been accepted for training as an AQM and by late August had completed my training at 1PTS at Abingdon and 242 OCU at Dishforth and had returned to Abingdon to await my posting to 99 Sqn at Lyneham.

This meant I was in touch again with one of my drinking friends in ATC at Benson who told me that President Eisenhower was due to land at Benson to have talks with prime minister Macmillan at Chequers on his return from a visit to the queen at Balmoral and would I like to see a real live US president?

Nothing ventured nothing gained I grabbed my Rolleiflex camera, hopped on my motorcycle and went to Benson. Wearing uniform and with a rather large "professional" camera around my neck it was assumed I was an "official photographer" and I was ushered to the scaffolding erected for photographers and duly took my photographs when the Comet pulled up and the doors opened as can be seen in the attached photo.

Is there anyone still around who was on that flight I wonder? From memory I'd guess this took place in late August 1959 because I didn't join 99 Sqn until September of that year.

It must have been quite a feather in 216's hat to have flown a real live US president down from Aberdeen (or wherever) and from memory it was a rather unique event. I suppose it also begs the question as to why he didn't travel in AirForce One or whatever it was called in those days.

Apologies, but getting the photos into the post is new to me, but at least the links are below. 1. a picture of the Abingdon RV 105 VHF/DF vehicle and 2. Ike emerging from the RAF Comet. So excuse a newbie who is still learning how to master the forum.

Tony

http://groups.msn.com/TonyHawesRAFService195163/rafabingdon1959.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=945

http://groups.msn.com/TonyHawesRAFService195163/rafabingdon1959.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1058

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Mar 2007, 23:40
In the best traditions of the Royal Air Force, a little audacity goes a long way. Well done; a very good picture of Ike alighting from a real aeroplane.

411A
24th Mar 2007, 01:44
Eisenhower also has another distinction.
He is the only US president to have actually flown his 'own' AirForce One.
The USAF bought an AeroCommander 560 specifically for IKE, and he used to fly it (personally) on a regular basis...to his farm.
He was a licensed private pilot, and flew his own aeroplane on a regular basis, during (and after) WWII.

Green Flash
24th Mar 2007, 09:01
Tony
Some unique photos. Why is the Hastings landing with the door open? And nice to see a smoking Hunter!

Edited to add - having viewed the other photo's, I assume it's been dropping paras; but surely they would close the door after the static lines had been dragged back in?

Warmtoast
24th Mar 2007, 11:01
When I did my 1PTS training at Abingdon most of the drops were done at Weston-on-the-Green about 11-12 miles north of Abingdon, so assume that it wasn't worth opening and closing the doors for such a short flght, but I could be wrong of course!

Tony

Chugalug2
24th Mar 2007, 12:17
When I did my 1PTS training at Abingdon most of the drops were done at Weston-on-the-Green about 11-12 miles north of Abingdon, so assume that it wasn't worth opening and closing the doors for such a short flght, but I could be wrong of course!

Spot on Tony. Notice the masking tape covering the doorway "furniture" to avoid snagging departing paratroops' paraphernalia (also reason why the horizontal stabiliser was raised on the Mk1A and 2s compared to the Mk1s, on which they were prone to bump into. Ouch!). Thanks for recalling all our yesteryears!

Warmtoast
24th Mar 2007, 12:50
Depending on your age further nostalgia and RAF memories can be found here:

http://groups.msn.com/TonyHawesRAFService195163/shoebox.msnw

Choose the pictures tab, choose an album and browse!

Well over 600 photos with many in colour covering my RAF service (1951 - 1963) in Rhodesia, Biggin Hill, Bovingdon, the Far East (Changi, Negombo, China Bay, Seletar, and Gan), Abingdon and 99 Sqn at RAF Lyneham.

Tony

ancientaviator62
24th Mar 2007, 13:19
If my ancient memory is correct the para doors were not normally refitted in flight after para dropping as they were pigs to fit and had a habit of trying to escape 'overboard' !
The tailplane on the Hastings was repositioned for the C Mk2 to try to cure an instability problem that had plagued the Hastings since it's entry into service. The Mk 1a was a Mk1 with wing tip tanks to extend the range and allow a modest increase in the T/O weight. All the above was a very long time ago so forgive any memory lapses !

renfrew
24th Mar 2007, 15:56
In 1958 I was at an ATC cadet camp at Andover.We were promised a ride in a Comet but the RAF driver got lost on the way to Lyneham and we arrived as the Comet took off.
As compensation we had a delightful two hours doing circuits in a Hastings.

Chugalug2
25th Mar 2007, 07:01
ancientaviator62 wrote: The tailplane on the Hastings was repositioned for the C Mk2 to try to cure an instability problem that had plagued the Hastings since it's entry into service. The Mk 1a was a Mk1 with wing tip tanks to extend the range and allow a modest increase in the T/O weight. All the above was a very long time ago so forgive any memory lapses !
Yes a very long time ago, but it is my memory, not yours, that has lapsed. You are quite right, the Mk2 tailplane was lower than the Mk1/1a, not higher! The higher 1A AUW was enabled by 106 (later 216) Hercules engines, as well as the wing relieving load of the greater fuel capacity, I think. I'd better stop there, though, as I may well have that wrong as well! :)
At any rate, the Hastie was a stalwart of the RAF MRT force from 1947 to 1968, in favour of the Hercules. So two types spanning 60 years of operation, admittedly augmented by others! IIRC, the plan was for her to carry on even longer, awaiting the development and introduction of the AW681 with VTOL capability to support the 1154s, until that concept was scratched and 66 Hercs bought instead.

ancientaviator62
25th Mar 2007, 14:44
chugalug2,
thankyou I had forgotten that the engines were uprated. I think between us we have got it covered (I hope !) I an reminded that the Hastings para doors were staggered (for structural reasons ) with the port door further aft than the starboard.