PDA

View Full Version : Jet vs Prop?

DashAv8er
22nd Mar 2007, 13:51
Hey all,

I have been reading the posts and have been unable to find a direct answer to this question...does Cathay treat turboprop (DH-8 part 121) any different than jet (ie RJ) time? Thanks everyone!:)

The Messiah
22nd Mar 2007, 13:57
Yes they do, just have a look at the application form and the respective columns. That should answer your question.

DashAv8er
22nd Mar 2007, 14:33
Maybe I should clarify...do they prefer one to the other?

pfluta
22nd Mar 2007, 15:33
I have prop and jet time, and got an interview date. I know a friend who only had f/o turboprop time and got an interview. I think they prefer jet though...

pfluta
22nd Mar 2007, 15:35
And that was Dash 8 time for both of us, by the way...

thepotato232
22nd Mar 2007, 15:46
I posted this question a while ago, and got the impression that TP and Jet time were essentially the same for DESOs. I'm another prop driver, and I'm still plugging away in my mighty BE1900 because of the rapid transition to command we've got here. I've been told that left-seat TP time will help your chances more than right-seat RJ time.

Here's a link to my original post:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264372

allatp
24th Mar 2007, 05:52
Hello there!!!!
Have you guys heard of a TP-only-time pilot being hired as a DEFO?
My situation: 5900 TT, 900 PIC, all of it in DHC8. What are my chances as DEFO?

Thanks!!

AA

Night Watch
24th Mar 2007, 09:10
allatp

Unless you are flying in command on a Q400 and therefore above 20 000kg.... the answer is No.

To all Wannabes..... Your answer to all of these type of Q's is, experience commiserate with age. So in other words if you have been flying since High School/Uni and your 25-30.... 3000-4000 hrs with at least 1000 command turbo-prop. If you are 30-35 you should have at least some jet. Of course there are exceptions and often very interesting circumstances, but this is about the experience that I find guys have when talking to them on a 14hr flight.

allatp
24th Mar 2007, 13:40
Night Watch, thanks for the reply.
I'm 35, and have no jet time at all.
Have you heard of any applicant in the same situation who's gotten hired?
I've heard that CX is now looking at applicants with turbo-prop time for DEFO positions.

Thanks,
AA

Night Watch
24th Mar 2007, 15:31
allatp

As i said.... unless you have C-130 or some other big ass turbo-prop time you can forget about an FO position.

All First Officer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:

An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL)

A minimum of 1000 hours in one of the following categories:

1. Airline Jet Transport
2. Command Turbo Prop (MAUW greater than 20,000 Kgs)
3. High Performance Military Jet
4. Corporate Jet Command

A current Class One Medical
Fluent spoken & written English
Experience commensurate with age

If you are still interested in joining CX as an SO.... to answer you Q, Yes I do know some 35 y.o's that have got in with no jet time. "But" the requirement for SO is the same as the last line of the DEFO Experience commensurate with age .

Good luck :ok:

allatp
26th Mar 2007, 00:08
NW, does the same go for Dragonair?
Thanks.
P.S. Out of curiosity, are you currently flying for CX?

Alpine Pilot
26th Mar 2007, 10:28
buenos dias allatp.
como estas?? todo bien en colombia??

allatp, if I where you, i would accept a second officer job based in hong kong. I donīt know if you are allowed to be based in europe or the us? so keep that in mind that all freighter pilots are based outside of hkg.

hasta luego!

thepotato232
26th Mar 2007, 18:44
Me han di que todo nunca esta bien en Columbia...

Here are a couple of hiring questions that don't relate to flight time, and that I forgot to ask before:
Would being a sim or ground instructor for an airline or a third-party airline training company help one's chances at all at the S/O hiring level?

In America, it's de rigueur for airline companies to do an extensive check of a driver's safety record, while in Europe, I've heard it's not even an issue. What do the folks at Cathay do?

allatp
27th Mar 2007, 04:32
Alpine Pilot.
At first, do you only get a freighter position? Can you ever get into Pax flying to begin with?
Thanks,
AA

Alpine Pilot
27th Mar 2007, 09:59
no, you can start as a second officer on the pax fleet, based in hkg.

CaptainProp
28th Mar 2007, 10:08
Funny though....I have 5000 tt....2000 jet....1500 TP command...Not a word...:rolleyes:

/CP

allatp
12th Apr 2007, 22:24
CaptainProp, so as I understand you have applied but no answer yet?
AA

Bill Bixby
13th Apr 2007, 08:39
Alltap,

I have friends that were flying the Dash-8 100/200 series and have een accepted into Dragonair.Some captains and other F/O's.With the problems they are having getting people just to turn up to interviews,F/O TP time will get you an interview there.
I also don't think Cathay will be far behind.They had interviews recently in LA and only a handfull of the 20 or so for the week showed up.
Get an interview for any position then ask in the interview.The company is getting more flexible as their list of pilots wanting a job drys up.

Cheers,

Bill.
:8

CaptainProp
13th Apr 2007, 12:18
allatp - Correct. I have applied for 6 years now....started off applying with 600 hr total time with about 200 TP in the left seat....I have prob not been that keen in the last few years, updating maybe once or twice/year. Last time I updated was in dec/jan with the experience I mentioned in prev post...I ticked the "DEFO"-only box....

Good luck!

/CP

Night Watch
13th Apr 2007, 12:59
CaptainProp Probably the reason as to why you have not been called yet is that you ticked FO only. Your experience is very similar to most SO's that I've flown with recently. Good luck :ok:

CaptainProp
13th Apr 2007, 13:03
OK, thanks! Good to know...but then Ill wait until I DO get called! ;) As it stands now it would be a too big of a pay cut to get in the 3rd seat for 3+ (?) years and move to HK.....

/CP

BigPimpin
14th Apr 2007, 00:02
Captain Prop, I have been told by recruitment that "2000 jet" is the magic number to get a DEFO interview. I have the same quals as you and interviewed for DESO instead.

allatp
14th Apr 2007, 00:16
Bill Bixby.

Thanks for the information, I will keep my fingers crossed for a chance on CX.
By the way have you applied for CX or KA?

CHEERS!!

AA

allatp
14th Apr 2007, 00:24
CaptainProp,

Wow, six years is quite some time!!!
I agree with you in waiting for the DEFO call!!!!
Hopefully your wait should be almost over.

Good Luck!!!!
AA

chamonixskier
15th Apr 2007, 22:32
You do know that DESOs make more money than DEFOs due to the housing stipend?

CaptainProp
16th Apr 2007, 09:44
Yes, while living in HK....Unless I have to and someone pays me big $$$$ I will try to avoid that.

/CP

Bill Bixby
16th Apr 2007, 15:45
Alltap,

Am already in CX.Been here since 2000.Airbus since I joined.I only had right seat Dash-8 time.Not much of it either.How times change.

BB.

allatp
24th Apr 2007, 23:56
BB,

Did you get a FO direct entry?
Thatīs interesting, so with my experience I should be able to get an interview right?

AA

kmagyoyo
25th Apr 2007, 04:10
A minimum of 1000 hours in one of the following categories:

1. Airline Jet Transport
2. Command Turbo Prop (MAUW greater than 20,000 Kgs)
3. High Performance Military Jet
4. Corporate Jet Command

so no...