PDA

View Full Version : The NATS Application FORM

AJMcC
21st Mar 2007, 23:41
I'm in the process of completing my application form for NATS for a position as a trainee ATCO. I'm concerned that my application will not be successful because my degree is so irrelevant to a career in aviation, and because I have next to no flying experience. I am, however, committed to this career path! It's just I don't believe the application gives me the opportunity to explain my decision-making.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how I could make my application stand out so that I can at least meet the HR team face-to-face and explain myself.

I also tried contacting my local airport to arrange a visit to the tower but was refused for security reasons. How can I overcome this if I don't know any ATCOs personally??! The Manager did say whether my application was successful would not revolve around whether I'd visited a tower or not, but I wanted to show my interest and commitment.

I suppose I'm also wondering whether the application form itself matters that much - whether it's merely an opporunity to wipe out those who are obviously not suitable i.e. don't have the qualifications.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

wordstwice
22nd Mar 2007, 01:28
First of all take a deep breath and relax......

The application isnt much more than a way to gather your details and determine your suitability to apply for ATC or not. As long as you meet the minimum requirements as stated on NATS website you have nothing to worry about.

The way to HR's heart is to do well enough in each of the stages of the application process-These include testing and interviews. If you succeed at each stage you will be passed along to the next.

Make sure you have spelled your name correctly and submit your application and stop worrying mate.

best of luck to you!

NudgingSteel
22nd Mar 2007, 10:30
Absolutely as wordstwice said. Don't worry! If you've got a degree then you've got more qualifications than a very large number of past, present and probably future ATCOs. What you studied is of absolutely no relevance, you'll be taught all you need to know about ATC at the college.
Have you considered trying another couple of airports, either NATS or non-NATS? It might be worth travelling a bit further afield if necessary. Although your success (or failure) won't depend on whether you've visited a unit, it'll definitely be a plus if you can, as you'll get the chance to see the job first hand and meet a bunch of fresh, enthusiastic / crusty, cynical (delete as appropriate...) folks.
It is a great job, best of luck with your application!

rickypbrown
22nd Mar 2007, 12:16
Fear not! As others have said, so long as you can justify the decisions you have made and explain why you feel ATC is the path for you, you'll be fine when it comes to the HR part. They're just looking for the right kind of people and you're already bridged a gap by posting for help on PPRuNe! Good luck with the application.

P.S. I have a degree in Teaching of all things! lol

classicwings
22nd Mar 2007, 12:25
They're just looking for the right kind of people

Im curious, RickyPBrown.

As an applicant, what personality qualities do NATS look for in their future recruits?:confused:

Phantom99
22nd Mar 2007, 13:54
I have an Environmental and Countryside Management degree - didn't hurt my application, although I did have to answer some curious questioning :)

Gonzo
22nd Mar 2007, 14:21
Classicwings, what about you? What personality qualities do you think would make a good ATCO? :)

You must believe you have them, as you're applying, no? ;)

SACrIGGER
22nd Mar 2007, 14:36
Well I have 5 GCSE's at grade C, and a A-Level at grade E, and I'm at the college as we speak.

So your education history is of no real concern, your motivation however is, so try to visit a tower, and then you can explain this on the form.

If you need any other help, feel free to PM me.

Ian.

classicwings
22nd Mar 2007, 14:49
Hmmm................well, from what i have been advised by from the 'horses mouth' so to speak, and from my past interview experience, I understand that one needs to be tenacious, have the ability to multi-task and, dare i say it, not be too easily swayed from changing his/her mind when making decisions (depending on the situation of course).:)

An interest in aviation is helpful, but not essential.

How am I doing so far Gonzo?

Gonzo
22nd Mar 2007, 14:54
How am I doing so far Gonzo?

Could be a lot worse my friend!!!!:ok:

classicwings
22nd Mar 2007, 15:11
Am I right in thinking you conduct the stage 2 interviews, Gonzo?:)

If so maybe i should consider tieing in my final interview with NATS around your availability!!!:ok:

Gonzo
22nd Mar 2007, 15:24
HR do the stage 2, ATCOs and HR jointly do stage 3 (apart from a few recent exceptions when stages 2 and 3 were merged).

And yes, I am on the panel of ATCO interviewers.

Nobody's offered to bribe me yet, which has disappointed me. I'm very cheap you know!;)

classicwings
22nd Mar 2007, 15:53
Sorry to drone on Gonzo, but when you mention Stage 3, am i right in thinking that the new format involves the technical interview now merged with the HR interview- and there is a seperate written test on ATC? Oh yes and the group exercise too.

I believe this has changed since I attended stage 2 when the Tech. Interview, seperate HR interview and computer tests were all conducted on the same day.

Enthusiastic ATCO in anticipation.:)

howharvey
22nd Mar 2007, 16:18
hello, my first post here. i am preparing for my selection tests next month and i understand there are four aptitude tests involving mental arithmetic, spatial ability, data checking and a diagramatic reasoning. Could anyone help me understand what is involved in the diagramatic reasoning questions?
many thanks
Harv

AJMcC
22nd Mar 2007, 17:05
Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Sorry if I sounded like I was repeating several other threads - I just couldn't find anything relating to the form in particular.

Good luck to everyone else who's applying.

timelapse
22nd Mar 2007, 17:21
classicwings - My stage 2 on Monday is (apparently): computer tests, "structured" HR interview, motivation exam and a personality questionnaire (despite having done one online, so not sure if that bit will happen).

I'll let you know! :}

classicwings
23rd Mar 2007, 09:13
Thanks for your info, timelapse- although i shouldnt have too much to worry about if Gonzo's part of the stage 2 board....................:ok:

timelapse
23rd Mar 2007, 10:06
howharvey - if you do a search on this forum you'll find a lot of stuff about it.

It's basically the "commands" test and the "cube" test now, the rest is checking numbers and letters. Commands is where you have a set of symbols that reflect changes that are to be made to a group of images (turn them upside down, reorder them, swap one with the other, etc). Your job is to choose which one of the set of final sequence of images reflects the changes that the commands suggest.

The dreaded cubes involves working out which one of a series of 3D cubes could be made from a 2D "flat-pack" image.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radar2001/resources/spacialreasoning.htm

That sort of thing :cool:

HTH :)

classicwings
23rd Mar 2007, 12:47
The dreaded cubes involves working out which one of a series of 3D cubes could be made from a 2D "flat-pack" image.

Yes and as I recall there are several different 2D ''flat-pack'' configurations presented to you -not just the standard 'cross' image to decipher.

Serious head-busters!:{

timelapse
23rd Mar 2007, 14:17
Yeah I wish the NATS ones were anywhere near as easy as those ones.. Fear not though - I only got to number 26/40 in the time allowed, but still got through :ok:

classicwings
23rd Mar 2007, 15:27
Ill go along with that! I think the illusion is that you have to try and tackle all the spacial problems you are faced with and by jove there certainly are enough to get you in a sweat when you open that booklet!!

Of course, the reality is making sure you get the ones you attempt RIGHT, rather than steaming off in a mad panic trying to answer the lot in the time given.(it just WONT happen)!:ok:

howharvey
29th Mar 2007, 21:12
timelapse: thank you for your reply, that sites quite informative. iv bought a few books and feel good with those now, just got to brush up mental arithmetic now.

timelapse
29th Mar 2007, 21:19
I grabbed a few books too when I was preparing. We didn't get many mental questions. I hear the 1st stage motivation paper sometimes has a few on, so best to brush up for that I guess :)

Best of luck! Let me know how you do :)

wizad
2nd Apr 2007, 10:41
guys,

just because gonzo is a regular poster on here, by no means will he be your mate, an easy touch nor a pushover on interview day compared to any others. hes there for a reason and to do a job.
work hard, do the homework and you may become one of the lucky few to then work your b**ls off or a couple of more years and get to where you want to be. suffer the low pay for a number of months and within a few years you will be earning more than all your mates, more time off and actually enjoy the job you do.... unlike the majority of my non ATCO friends.
for the record, i have an art degree and sit here fat, dumb extremely happy and valid calling myself london control.:ok: :ok: :ok:

Gonzo
2nd Apr 2007, 11:35
by no means will he be your mate, an easy touch nor a pushover on interview day compared to any others. hes there for a reason and to do a job.

It is true, I do take a perverse pleasure out of making candidates squirm! :E

ramesescolossos
4th May 2007, 11:59
You probably did my interview then Gonzo, there wasa lot of squirming going on in that room!

brendantheg
17th May 2007, 14:56
Hey guys, its my first posting so take it easy on me :) I was wondering if you could help me. I am in my penultimate year at university studying for an undergraduate masters in Biomedical Sciences. I have been very interested in the aviation industry for a while now since I was a member of the ATC when I was 12. I appreciate the need to start organising some work experience before I apply to the trainee ATCO scheme to help me gain a better insight into how things work. However when I did contact NATS they said it is not necessary and due to the high security levels isn't even possible! If this is the case how then do you go about showing your commitment to a career as an ATCO or even if you will enjoy the role? I will therefore be greatful if someone could please advise me how to go about organising some work experience this summer after my exams are finished - if it is even needed at all? Any information related to this will also be greatly appreciated. I wait in anticipation of your responses.
Kind regards,
Brendan

smellysnelly2004
17th May 2007, 17:45
Visits to units will definately look good at the interview stage and if you can get work experience then it can only help. Neither of these is essential. The first step is passing the aptitude testing.
Local airports would probably be your best bet for visits or work experience.
Just try giving them a call.
:) :)