PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting JAA CFI, info please

davidathomas42
21st Mar 2007, 23:39
Just finished my ATPL ground study with all pass's, but not got chance to start CPL or IR Conversion yet, so thinking about starting my CFI rating

I have an FAA Multi CFI and CPL IR Multi as well as my normal JAA SEP licence and was wondering what I have to do to get my SEP CFI onto my license to teach in my spare time, and also once I add my CPL later in the year does that mean I can then charge to teach without any other add ons??

any info would be a great help thanks, Dave

Whopity
22nd Mar 2007, 17:46
There is no JAA CFI rating its a FI rating. As you already have a FAA CFI then depending on your experience, you may get some credit towards the JAA FI Course. If you have over 500 hours flight time of which 200 are as an instructor, the training may be reduced on the recommendation of an FIC instructor to the CAA, to a minimum of 15 hours flight training and 30 hours ground training. If you don't have the hours you will have to do the full FI Course 30 hors flying and 125 hours theory.

You can not be paid for instructing without a JAA CPL.

davidathomas42
22nd Mar 2007, 21:08
Got the 500 hours plus but not the 200 hours teaching as I only really got it to go on my CV so did very very little actual teaching

just found out my local school in Sheffield is starting doing CPL's IR's and FI (CFI TO ME) stuff in May,, so that could all work out well for me playing giny pig for them

BEagle
23rd Mar 2007, 08:36
If you can't be bothered to use the correct terminology, you will be of little use to your prospective students.

I query the motivation of someone who obtained a FAA CFI rating 'just for their CV'.....

In the UK, CFI means 'Chief Flying Instructor'. If you go around calling yourself a 'CFI' when you are a mere FI(R), you won't be particularly popular.

Why do you wish to become a FI?

unfazed
23rd Mar 2007, 09:03
Davidathomas42

If you go around calling yourself a 'CFI' when you are a mere FI(R), you won't be particularly popular.

I think that the above response says quite a lot

Don't worry about terminology some instructors can't accomodate international terminology because they have a strong dislike of all things foreign.

Most people know what an FI is and the US CFI is well understood by most internationally minded flying schools. There are a few pedants out there but you will never convince them that you can fly an aircraft and teach their students because they view the world of flying through a prism that cannot accomodate the wider world.

Anyway you will be a MERE FI (R) How dare you pretend to be a CFI !!!

davidathomas42
23rd Mar 2007, 19:53
What an absolute set of dicks you are!!! my god how can you be botherd to make some crap post about someone been used to saying CFI over FI!
it was more a reference of the terminology i was used to than the fact i was thinking of walking round a flight school in a pilots uniform blowing myself off saying i am a CFI!

you really must have a lot of time on your hands to let that worry you!

also whats wrong with having a FI rating on your CV to look good, it shows to people interviewing you that not only have you attained the qualification of CPL you have also gone a step further in your flying skills and continued training to a higher level even if you dont use it or maybe even just teach friends for free to get there wings as this game is not affordable to everyone and so anything you can do to promote general aviation in this country is a bonus!!!

seriously, get out your little sad shells!

BEagle
23rd Mar 2007, 20:02
"also whats wrong with having a FI rating on your CV to look good, it shows to people interviewing you that not only have you attained the qualification of CPL you have also gone a step further in your flying skills and continued training to a higher level even if you dont use it or maybe even just teach friends for free to get there wings as this game is not affordable to everyone and so anything you can do to promote general aviation in this country is a bonus!!!"

If anything has proved the folly of allowing unprincipled 'hours builders' to instruct, your post has. You clearly have no real understanding of the standards required of a halfway decent FI.

An unused FI rating on a CV merely shows that you lacked any application to use the qualification and were more interested in 'ticks in boxes' than applying your Rating. Also, it will have a less-than-zero effect on any airline HR people who might grant you an interview.

Do remember that roughly half of the current 'hours-builders' will never be acceptable to airline employers.

davidathomas42
23rd Mar 2007, 20:30
LESS THAN ZERO!

So in your mind someone could say,, well I was going to give you a job but been as you are a FI that did not use it I recon you reverse your qualifications and abilities and so cant fly!

where is your head at?????

bored of this now.............................................

BEagle
23rd Mar 2007, 21:12
Well, actually yes, that's precisely what they'll say.

Q1. - You obtained a FAA Rating. What did you intend to use it for?

Q2. - What are the revalidation and renewal requirements for a SEP Class Rating? And for a FI?

Q3.- What restrictions apply to a FI(R) which do not apply to a FI?

Q4.- Are you an IRI? What is the difference between an IRI and a FI with the applied instrument instruction restriction removed?

Q5.- No Q5. Don't let the door hit you too hard on your way out.

davidathomas42
23rd Mar 2007, 21:46
Q1. - You obtained a FAA Rating. What did you intend to use it for?

A1. - I began instructing in Multi Engine aircraft but due to financial circumstance and been only on a M class visa I had to return to UK to earn a wage to continue my flight training (is this a sin?) before ammounting a substantial ammount of hours, but did manage to get my first student through his Multi CPL IR first time and do some renual work

Q2. - What are the revalidation and renewal requirements for a SEP Class Rating? And for a FI?

A2. - depends on factors, JAA not valid as been working FAA but obviously will be looking at all regs before any interview as any sensible person would be!

Q3.- What restrictions apply to a FI(R) which do not apply to a FI?

A2. - Again, not got it yet, hence was asking on here for a bit of advice!

Q4.- Are you an IRI? What is the difference between an IRI and a FI with the applied instrument instruction restriction removed?

AGAIN AS ABOVE
Q5.- No Q5. Don't let the door hit you too hard on your way out.

AGAIN GET A GRIP,, BORED BORED BORED NOW, THINK I MIGHT GIVE PPRUNE A MISS FROM NOW ON IF ALL I GET IS PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO PULL YOU DOWN AND BASICLY SAY YOUR UNFIT TO BE A PILOT WHEN KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT ME OR MY FLIGHT EXPERIANCE!

GUESSING YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A PPL AS PILOTS I KNOW ARE MAINLY NICE PEOPLE OUT TO ASSIST OTHERS IN THERE CAREER CHOICE ALONG THE WAY! THIS FORUM SEEMS TO BE THE OPPOSITE

THANKS TO THE ONE GUY WHO ACTULY GAVE A BIT OF USEFULL ADVICE.

BEagle
23rd Mar 2007, 21:51
Good bye!

And another tip - brush up your abysmal English before filling out any airline application forms.

IRRenewal
23rd Mar 2007, 22:45
BEagle,

You don't even have a ppl? All those occasions when I have read your well informed responses to all kinds of questions, and it turns out you don't even have a ppl! What am I to do now? My world's falling apart.

Ps: keep up the good work, despite the clowns who post on here. I admire you for the fact you can even be bothered to answer in the first place, where I would look at the question and would just hit the back button on my browser.

THANKS TO THE ONE GUY WHO ACTULY GAVE A BIT OF USEFULL ADVICE.Apart from the fact your caps lock seems to be stuck, that must be BenAek then.

BEagle
24th Mar 2007, 08:14
Thanks, IRR!

Perhaps our friend should try anger management counselling as well. If he gets so wound-up after a little PPRuNery, he'd be a barrel of laughs for his lucky students.

BEagle
24th Mar 2007, 13:48
Clearly you have a different concept of what constitutes an orgasm, compared with the rest of the human race.

barrow
24th Mar 2007, 14:47
Fellas, Fellas, Please stop this crap. I've only been reading this forum for a while, But have been amazed by the amount of knowledge you blokes have, and now this! c'mon, here in the USA terminology is very different with regards to aviation and I'll have a hard time understanding some of the nomenclature and abbreviations you blokes use. I wouldn't expect to be chastised for it on this board, not by you lads!

I do the flight instructor game over here in the US, multi, instrument, and all the rest of it. I always thought of going back to Barrow-in-Furness and doing the JAA/ATPL, But you know, them 14 exams scare the hell outta me and quite frankly, I don't think I'd have a hope in hell of passing them. I'd love to teach in England, But it seems your JAA/PPL level of required knowledge is akin to my FAA/ATP level. We're only required to fly an ILS, Not, design and build one also.
This thread could have been of great assistance to me and other ex-pats, But alas, It isn't to be.

boeingbus2002
24th Mar 2007, 17:47
DavidT...
The advice BEagle is trying to give you is all in good faith! It may sound like he is being petty but he isnt! Obviously you are well accustomed to the FAA terminology, the situation would be the same if we were to go to the USA and start talking about FI(R) etc. The yanks mostly likely wouldnt have a clue what we were talking about!

The point BEagle was trying to say was if you are going to teach JAA students, it would confuse them if you mixed these terms up. Also there are also some people at some clubs/schools who would feel you are exageratting your qualifications by saying you are a CFI (they understand this as Chief Flying Instructor..not Certified Flying Instructor!!)
best of luck:ok:

unfazed
26th Mar 2007, 08:12
BENAEK

It tends to help understanding if you actually read what is posted

Also a sense of irony doesn't always come across so well in print so you may not have noticed when I was being ironic.

I definitely wasn't picking on the guy but he will need a stiffer neck if he is going to instruct.

pilotinthemakin
16th Apr 2007, 17:50
What an absolute set of dicks you are!!! my god how can you be botherd to make some crap post about someone been used to saying CFI over FI!
it was more a reference of the terminology i was used to than the fact i was thinking of walking round a flight school in a pilots uniform blowing myself off saying i am a CFI!

you really must have a lot of time on your hands to let that worry you!

also whats wrong with having a FI rating on your CV to look good, it shows to people interviewing you that not only have you attained the qualification of CPL you have also gone a step further in your flying skills and continued training to a higher level even if you dont use it or maybe even just teach friends for free to get there wings as this game is not affordable to everyone and so anything you can do to promote general aviation in this country is a bonus!!!

seriously, get out your little sad shells!

Here Here!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!!! Well Done!!!!

Evilbob
17th Apr 2007, 09:52
So in your mind someone could say,, well I was going to give you a job but been as you are a FI that did not use it I recon you reverse your qualifications and abilities and so cant fly!

Your flying ability is not what will be questioned, it will be you motivation that is doubted. You can be sure that any potential employer is going to be interested in why you didn't instruct after getting you qualification.

... I only really got it to go on my CV so did very very little actual teaching

Go to a flying school and tell them that, I'm sure they will snap you up and give you a big salary into the bargain.

First impressions count when going for any job, it's a simple fact. An employer needs to get to know a potential employee in a short space of time and you can't afford to give out negative impressions.

bored of this now.............................................

BORED BORED BORED NOW

Childish? quite possibley. You have to be humble, you have to be able to take criticism and you must be able to admit when you got it wrong. Not just in instructing (although this is very important since the student emulates everything you do) but throughout aviation.

If you can't recognise and admit mistakes, you won't be able to improve beyond your current standard.

Nobody knows it all, keep learning!