PDA

View Full Version : Diamond 40

polo.112
21st Mar 2007, 22:11
Hello all,
I have just started my conversion on the Diamond 40.
It is a neat and nice to fly little aircraft.
Though, I find it noisy. :bored:

Would anyone, with a bigger experience on aircraft, be able to confirm this impression to me? Also, could you recommend me some headset.

I have read good things about active reduction headsets, but never tried any. So Bose, Clark etc... Would you have any idea? :)

Thanks you.
Polo

BackPacker
21st Mar 2007, 22:53
DA-40 avgas or DA-40 TDI? I find the TDI with a silencer quieter than a PA-28-161 with a silencer but not by much.

Some data from www.texelairport.nl -> go to visitors

PH-SVI, a PA-28-161 with a silencer exhaust (the long tube kind) 72.8 dB
PH-SVH, a PA-28-161 with a muffler in the exhaust pipe 74.7 dB
PH-SVR, a DA-40 TDI with the factory silencer exhaust 69.5 dB

B2N2
21st Mar 2007, 22:54
The ventilation air intakes are forward of the cockpit on both side of the fuselage. Guess this leads to some "tunneling" effects and the vents are noisy.
The airplane is surprisingly quiet with the vents closed.

On the subject of active noise reduction headsets and Diamonds...:sad:
I used to have a Telex 50 ANR, couldn't use it in the Diamonds.
For some reason ( I suspect the shape of the canopy) I always got interference when I switched it on.
Buddy of mine bought the new David Clark ANR, same story, so he switched to the Bose headset also.
In my humble opinion the Bose is one of the very best headsets ever made, expensive though.

polo.112
22nd Mar 2007, 01:50
Thanks for these super precisions...
Paul

polo.112
22nd Mar 2007, 01:52
Do you know if your friend was succesfull with the Bose in the Diamand?
Happy landings.

soay
22nd Mar 2007, 07:44
I only find the DA40 TDI noisy with the front vents open, if it doesn't have a silencer fitted to the exhaust. If you're not carrying anyone in the back seats, you can direct the rear vents to give you fresh air, without increasing the noise level.

I use a Clarity Aloft headset, which is as quiet as my Bose X, but more comfortable, cheaper and leaves more headroom.

Rod1
22nd Mar 2007, 08:22
The Bose is the best and suffers from incompatibility a lot less than the others. Not tried the Clarity Aloft though.

What had you flown before?

Rod1

B2N2
22nd Mar 2007, 12:47
The Bose works fine in the Diamond series.